ADVERTISEMENT

Buckeyes try to decide if Day or Smart is the new kind of college football with Saban gone....

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
Strong Debate Topic Buck: While most would assume that Kirby Smart should grab the crown as the king of college football now that Saban has retired, can Day steal the crown? Day really seems to be growing into his role as the ceo of the program. He is doing a good job building his staff and seems willing to delegate. He is very craftily using all the tools at his disposal to both build a championship roster and retain the key pieces.

"Well, it was a fun debate" Buck: They already have two national championships to Day’s 0 and despite the unlimited good news OSU has had they are still the title favorites for this year. They have been recruiting better than we have and their biggest recruiting rival is imploding. The only team to beat them in the past 3 years is Bama. (Literally first response posted)

"We ain't even the faves this year" Buck:
Georgia is currently +300 and OSU is +500.

Howard and the OSU OL and much worse than Beck and the UGA OL.

"I was listening to Coach Prime and the Georgia QB ain't all that" Buck: Not sure I agree about Howard being much worse than Beck. Beck's numbers aren't that dissimilar to what McCord put up last year. I think his hype is a little ahead of the results at this point.

"Coach Heup and others making it miserable for Kirby on the recruiting trail" Buck: Clemson falling off a bit helps Georgia also but FL ST, Tenn and LSU are picking their game up now so it might be a wash.

"This is a Buck propaganda only message board" Buck: Go be a Georgia fan then. Nothing about you suggests you're an OSU fan anyway.

Nathan Jessup Buck: Do you disagree with a single one of my statements? I just find it silly to say the team that’s won 2 of the last 3 nattys and beat us head to head is chasing us.
ucanthandlethetruth-jack-nicholson.gif

Nature Boy Buck: To be the man, you have to beat the man....

X5Um8yX.gif

Stating the obvious Buck:
I believe Georgia was the best team at the end of the year. 'bama got them in the SEC championship but 'bama had some considerable weaknesses and got Georgia on a bad night. ...at least, Georgia would have given the cheaters a better fight.

Anyway, Day is chasing Smart. This year may be the best team Day has fielded (arguably more so than 2019).

No pun intended Buck: It isn't really about being the next Saban as much as OSU moving up in the tier list hierarchy. It seemed like OSU was in tier 2 and Bama and Georgia in tier 1. Now there's a shot to replace Bama in tier 1 otherwise it is full speed ahead Georgia dynasty.

"Can clearly see that Day is on the Saban path" Buck: People saying that Day can’t become an all time great…hear me out. The year is 1995 and Nick Saban just went 6-5-1 at Michigan State. Who was having the conversation that Nick Saban was going to surpass Bear Bryant, Woody Hayes, and Tom Osborne? NOBODY! Yet at the exact same age, Ryan Day is 56-8 with 3 playoff appearances. I could definitely see him getting a couple championships in the next 3-4 years with the talent he’s stockpiling in players and coaches.

"Herbie always says 'It's the big uglies.'" Buck: I kind of doubt it. The SEC programs are recruiting from a deeper pool of players (particularly in the trenches) and that's ultimately what wins games. UGA brought in like 5 guys on the OL with their 2024 class who are already NFL size.

"Yeah, but this time Georgia has to replace a ton of players that went to the NFL" Buck:

Georgia losing both star RB's. Bowers, Mcconkey, starting center, stud LT, WR or 2.
And a bunch on defense including 3 in the secondary.
I think our offense is still going to take some time. New OC. New QB. New center. We lose Harrison Jr a generational WR. And Stover. TE/Captain America
Our defense "should" be considerably better then UGA's. Especially with Downs and everyone else returning. I fear some growing pains with our young WR's and TE'S. But in the end it will be the OLine that makes or breaks our season. And on paper we have added enough to our team to win it all. I think we should be ranked ahead of UGA. But I'd be happy to take #2nor even #3 and play the disrespect card. Georgia is breaking in a TON of new players. And they are replacing serious game on the line producers.

"It's Day, Lanning, Sark, Kirby...whoever wins their first title will be dominant" Buck: Day's certainly poised to be one of the 2-3 guys dominating the next decade or so. Kirby's the other coach obviously on that list. After that, probably a combination of Lanning, Kelly, Sark, etc.

And to close it out....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News