ADVERTISEMENT

Buying advice an AR10 for hunting?

I’ve always used a bolt action 30.06 for deer hunting.
I’m looking at buying an AR with an ATN X-Sight II HD night vision scope for coyote hunting at night and deer hunting during the day.

I was thinking of a .260 caliber or a .308 caliber.
I’m a rookie in the AR field.
Any advice would be appreciated.
w......t...........h

I’m looking at buying an AR with an ATN X-Sight II HD night vision scope for coyote hunting at night and deer hunting during the day.

I have six of these in different calibers and barrel lengths. Great guns, very accurate and smooth

https://www.larue.com/category/rifles/predatobr-260/

If you only want to shoot coyotes you don’t have to go with a larger caliber. Standard .223/5.56 AR-15 is more than enough to kill an animal that size (and much larger ones mind you). But I digress...

To your point, that’s a pretty broad question which I will try to narrow down. First off, what’s your budget? Because you can buy a Kia or a Cadillac as far as black rifles go. But I’ll be completely honest with you, I’ve shot everything from ~$300 home builds to $5000+ Knights Armament SR-25s and unless you’re a pipe hitter putting in serious work you’d be fine going cheaper.

Learn good maintenance and cleaning habits and the thing will shoot reliably and accurately no matter how much you spend. Plus, any cash you save on the gun can go into ammo or optics/attachments/accessories.

If you only want to shoot coyotes you don’t have to go with a larger caliber. Standard .223/5.56 AR-15 is more than enough to kill an animal that size (and much larger ones mind you). But I digress...

To your point, that’s a pretty broad question which I will try to narrow down. First off, what’s your budget? Because you can buy a Kia or a Cadillac as far as black rifles go. But I’ll be completely honest with you, I’ve shot everything from ~$300 home builds to $5000+ Knights Armament SR-25s and unless you’re a pipe hitter putting in serious work you’d be fine going cheaper.

Learn good maintenance and cleaning habits and the thing will shoot reliably and accurately no matter how much you spend. Plus, any cash you save on the gun can go into ammo or optics/attachments/accessories.
I was looking at spending $1500-$2,000.
I was hoping to get something that I could use for varmint and deer hunting.

County boy sporting goods off 441 north of tanger outlets. Good buys. I bought an ar that shoots 7.62x39 that they custom build. Shoots great. Also have a blackout 300. Look into the 6.5 grindle. Shoots very flat. Becoming very popular.

@REMESSIS is right OP....my .223 ruger predator has given me just as much, if not more fun, than my custom built Colt AR. I got $2500 in my Colt, but I been building on it here and there the past 2-3 years. That ruger is my ride around the farm/all purpose gun. I’ve dropped hogs, white tail and plenty of opossums with it. What you need to ask yourself is, what do I really want. If you want a safe gun then that’s fine and if you want a truck gun then that’s fine too. Just ask how much you want to spend and you’ll have your answer.

Reactions: DawgHammarskjold

Between those two rounds, I'd go with the .308. It's easy to find ammo and perfect for deer. You can also take larger game. Pretty much the All-American round. It's probably overkill for coyotes, though. I think I have seen some AR platforms in .243. I think that would be a great compromise. Flat shooting, light kicking and a fine size for deer but also smaller game. .243 ammo is easily found, as well.

Reactions: Rolodawg2011
If you plan to do any kind of hiking in with it do yourself a favor and go AR 15. Trust me. My 308 weighs a metric ton. Especially with all the accessories.
You hike with a rifle? Don’t know your story, but if you hike with a rifle(outside of Afghanistan) you’ll probably get made fun of. I’ll take my .45 on a hike on the Appalachian trail, but that’s just cause I don’t know who I’ll run into.

Check out Rock River, I have both their 223 varmint and 308 varmint .... love these guns, great accuracy with Federal fusion ammo. Heavy grain for 223, light grain for 308

You hike with a rifle? Don’t know your story, but if you hike with a rifle(outside of Afghanistan) you’ll probably get made fun of. I’ll take my .45 on a hike on the Appalachian trail, but that’s just cause I don’t know who I’ll run into.

Ummm hike to deer stand from truck.

Reactions: TaylorDawg03
OP said he wants to use it to deer hunt. I don’t know? I took it to mean he wants to use it to deer hunt.
Good point, but you don’t need to spend an arm and leg on an AR to deer hunt. OP is looking for an excuse to buy an AR is how I took it lol. He made it seem that way. He can buy a Remington 700 in either of those calibers for half the dough or a ruger for a 3rd of the dough to kill a deer. He should just be upfront and say, “I want an AR”, and then his answers will be more direct.

Good point, but you don’t need to spend an arm and leg on an AR to deer hunt. OP is looking for an excuse to buy an AR is how I took it lol. He made it seem that way. He can buy a Remington 700 in either of those calibers for half the dough or a ruger for a 3rd of the dough to kill a deer. He should just be upfront and say, “I want an AR”, and then his answers will be more direct.
You obviously don't know .... so, how much does an AR cost? Second , you still have to put an optic on that rem 700. The last Remington 700 I bought I got an ADL 308 on sale for about $350 out the door at academy . The scope I put on it cost more than the gun ... let me guess , you think it's ok to put a $100 tasco on top of it LOL
By the time you get the scope mounts and sling it I have about 850 in my 700 with nice optic . The last AR I bought came ready to hunt . It was a bushmaster on sale at basspro for about 650 out the door . Came with a red dot QA scope good to about 100 yards . AR10 for just a little more these days . Before you go bashing black rifles , next time I suggest you educate yourself first . Every man should have one and yes OP go get you one ! It will be a great hunting rifle that will serve multiple purposes for fun and self defense also . Not to mention they're highly modifiable which is fun

OP said he wants to use it to deer hunt. I don’t know? I took it to mean he wants to use it to deer hunt.
Just because he wants to use it to deer hunt LOL doesn't mean it doesn't serve multiple purposes

You obviously don't know .... so, how much does an AR cost? Second , you still have to put an optic on that rem 700. The last Remington 700 I bought I got an ADL 308 on sale for about $350 out the door at academy . The scope I put on it cost more than the gun ... let me guess , you think it's ok to put a $100 tasco on top of it LOL
By the time you get the scope mounts and sling it I have about 850 in my 700 with nice optic . The last AR I bought came ready to hunt . It was a bushmaster on sale at basspro for about 650 out the door . Came with a red dot QA scope good to about 100 yards . AR10 for just a little more these days . Before you go bashing black rifles , next time I suggest you educate yourself first . Every man should have one and yes OP go get you one ! It will be a great hunting rifle that will serve multiple purposes for fun and self defense also . Not to mention they're highly modifiable which is fun
Dumb ass, I just said I built an AR for right around $2500. I told OP he didn’t need an AR simply for deer hunting. If he wants one fine. I’ve got 3 and not a single one has less than $1500 in it. I was just trying to save him some dough if all he wants was to hunt. I wasn’t attacking him and don’t attack me.

Compare the ballistics beween the .308 and the 6.5 Grendel. Not near as heavy as the AR 10. Shoot them all and then decide. We have every thing from the 223 to the 454 bushmaster in the AR platforms.

County boy sporting goods off 441 north of tanger outlets. Good buys. I bought an ar that shoots 7.62x39 that they custom build. Shoots great. Also have a blackout 300. Look into the 6.5 grindle. Shoots very flat. Becoming very popular.

Some European SOF units have begun to field weapons in 300BLK. That’s good for those who are fans of the round because factories should start pumping out a lot more of them in the near future and it also means the round is probably here to stay ... unlike some of the other rounds like 6.5 or 6.8 which appear to be relegated to boutique status for the time being.

300BLK is outstanding for what is was designed for. PDW or suppressed SBR ... it was purpose built for CQB and excels within 100m.

Reactions: davedawg35

If you wanna spend that kinda coin, you can definitely go with a Colt. Hell check Gunbroker or Armslist and you may even find a Noveske (my gun of choice) or a LaRue.

Dumb ass, I just said I built an AR for right around $2500. I told OP he didn’t need an AR simply for deer hunting. If he wants one fine. I’ve got 3 and not a single one has less than $1500 in it. I was just trying to save him some dough if all he wants was to hunt. I wasn’t attacking him and don’t attack me.

LOL you made fun of him for wanting to hike with it then made fun of another for deer hunting with it .... i have 2 and dont have $1500 in either . I could be wrong but you sound like a prick who just criticizes others for doing things not your way LOL.... BOOM

LOL you made fun of him for wanting to hike with it then made fun of another for deer hunting with it .... i have 2 and dont have $1500 in either . I could be wrong but you sound like a prick who just criticizes others for doing things not your way LOL.... BOOM
Yep that’s it. Just a prick. Sorry I criticized the hiker and the hunter. Y’all do what want.

I have had a number of AR-10s and a SCAR 17s, which is an expensive FN-made .308 used by our military, I have none currently, but do have an ATN X-Sight II.

Armalite invented the AR-15 and AR-10 and is a great way to go. You might find one on Gunbroker for 1300 to 1500, less if you were willing to buy a used earlier model. My two Armalites were totally reliable and well-made. You could also go with a Smith M&P10 new on Gunbroker for 1100 or 1200 with no iron sights. I'm sure they are very reliable and probably the best deal going. I would consider Smith to be the lowest you should go on a new rifle. And NEVER buy something somebody built in their basement. Hard to resell, who knows what's really inside. .308 is far more versatile than .260, which is a wonderful caliber. You have a wider range of loads in 308. Bulk ammo for the range is more readily available. .308 gives you the option of heavy loads, like 180 gr, for bigger game like elk. For coyote and whitetail, either caliber works great.

The ATN scope is really very slick for the money. It's great to be able to sight in during daylight without peep hole covers. The digital picture in daylight is great. In darkness, the black and white picture is more clear than the "color" picture, which is very green. Switching back-and-forth between day/night and B&W/color is very easy. If you accidentally switch to night during the day, it does not damage the scope. I have the 3-13X model,iirc. The higher range would make it difficult to acquire a close-in target. If they made a lower range, I would have chosen it. You should buy the external battery pack. The scope works as advertised, but don't expect Gen III night vision for 600 bucks.

Just because he wants to use it to deer hunt LOL doesn't mean it doesn't serve multiple purposes

Made fun of by people like you ? Who cares if he wants to hike with it .... I'd think it would be cool as he**

Umm dude are you off your meds? I was talking with another poster who questioned using an AR for deer hunting. I was saying it's not that dumb or uncommon. And of course they serve multiple purposes. I was just telling the OP to forget the 308 and go with a 223. I've hunted pigs with a 308 hiking over 10 miles on a property one night. Needless to say the unforgiving weight of that son of a bitch was NOT fun after about, hell I don't know, the first damn mile.

Reactions: ghostofpowerdawg
Umm dude are you off your meds? I was talking with another poster who questioned using an AR for deer hunting. I was saying it's not that dumb or uncommon. And of course they serve multiple purposes. I was just telling the OP to forget the 308 and go with a 223. I've hunted pigs with a 308 hiking over 10 miles on a property one night. Needless to say the unforgiving weight of that son of a bitch was NOT fun after about, hell I don't know, the first damn mile.

if one keeps their mouth shut...
All else falls into place.

Maybe OP would someday want to shoot big hogs, which .223 might only piss off. A lot of my buddies use AR-10s for deer and hogs. It is what I would use if I still hunted. Another buddy shot a Middle Georgia buck with .223 and had to track him all day and ended up shooting him 10 times. It's used by NATO for its wounding properties. You want the enemy flopping around bleeding and screaming with two guys hauling him off the battlefield. Remove 3 troops with one bullet.

Heavier .223 bullets, 75 to 80 gr, are certainly better than the light stuff. And some of the plastic tipped stuff does an even better job. When I first started fooling with ARs about all there was out there was 55 and 62 grain FMJ.

So, yes, .223 will work for whitetails and small pigs in this area. Armalite has AR-10s in .308 that weigh just over 8 pounds with iron sights, only about a pound more than AR-15s.

Reactions: wesley-bulldog
Maybe OP would someday want to shoot big hogs, which .223 might only piss off. A lot of my buddies use AR-10s for deer and hogs. It is what I would use if I still hunted. Another buddy shot a Middle Georgia buck with .223 and had to track him all day and ended up shooting him 10 times. It's used by NATO for its wounding properties. You want the enemy flopping around bleeding and screaming with two guys hauling him off the battlefield. Remove 3 troops with one bullet.

Heavier .223 bullets, 75 to 80 gr, are certainly better than the light stuff. And some of the plastic tipped stuff does an even better job. When I first started fooling with ARs about all there was out there was 55 and 62 grain FMJ.

So, yes, .223 will work for whitetails and small pigs in this area. Armalite has AR-10s in .308 that weigh just over 8 pounds with iron sights, only about a pound more than AR-15s.
Not making fun in no way, but I still think it’s funny that some guys hunt with AR’s. I got 3 AR’s don’t get me wrong and love to shoot them. I just get this image in my head of some call of duty lover getting out of his truck dressed full tactical from head to toe....just to shoot deer and hogs....complete with Glock 19 and gerber knife just in case of close combat lmao!

I have had a number of AR-10s and a SCAR 17s, which is an expensive FN-made .308 used by our military, I have none currently, but do have an ATN X-Sight II.

Armalite invented the AR-15 and AR-10 and is a great way to go. You might find one on Gunbroker for 1300 to 1500, less if you were willing to buy a used earlier model. My two Armalites were totally reliable and well-made. You could also go with a Smith M&P10 new on Gunbroker for 1100 or 1200 with no iron sights. I'm sure they are very reliable and probably the best deal going. I would consider Smith to be the lowest you should go on a new rifle. And NEVER buy something somebody built in their basement. Hard to resell, who knows what's really inside. .308 is far more versatile than .260, which is a wonderful caliber. You have a wider range of loads in 308. Bulk ammo for the range is more readily available. .308 gives you the option of heavy loads, like 180 gr, for bigger game like elk. For coyote and whitetail, either caliber works great.

The ATN scope is really very slick for the money. It's great to be able to sight in during daylight without peep hole covers. The digital picture in daylight is great. In darkness, the black and white picture is more clear than the "color" picture, which is very green. Switching back-and-forth between day/night and B&W/color is very easy. If you accidentally switch to night during the day, it does not damage the scope. I have the 3-13X model,iirc. The higher range would make it difficult to acquire a close-in target. If they made a lower range, I would have chosen it. You should buy the external battery pack. The scope works as advertised, but don't expect Gen III night vision for 600 bucks.

really...

Listen up Buckwheat,
I have a Large Hog in this very backyard,
and if you think you're going to come over here
just to try your new grain.
No Sir!

Reactions: deadduckdawg
Not making fun in no way, but I still think it’s funny that some guys hunt with AR’s. I got 3 AR’s don’t get me wrong and love to shoot them. I just get this image in my head of some call of duty lover getting out of his truck dressed full tactical from head to toe....just to shoot deer and hogs....complete with Glock 19 and gerber knife just in case of close combat lmao!
LOL, yeah, I get some of that image. In the defense of using ARs, they are fairly light, have a really nice feel sort of like a 1911, are compact and point and swing well. They are accurate enough. Your point about the whitetail snipers reminds me of the yuppy banker who puts all his Harley crap on, chaps and colors, and struts around like a badass, rides his $25,000 dresser up to Kroger.

LOL, yeah, I get some of that image. In the defense of using ARs, they are fairly light, have a really nice feel sort of like a 1911, are compact and point and swing well. They are accurate enough. Your point about the whitetail snipers reminds me of the yuppy banker who puts all his Harley crap on, chaps and colors, and struts around like a badass, rides his $25,000 dresser up to Kroger.
I call that tactiCOOL lmao

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT