ADVERTISEMENT

Can't believe how thoughtless

my neighbor has been. He told no one that his wife and daughter have the virus. He and I walk our dogs together and interact on a daily basis. Not a word from him about health issues. Found out yesterday about this and I'm not happy.
You need to have ,as we say in SOWEGA," A PRAYER meeting " w/him. Might HOPEFULLY save someone else from becoming infected.

Anyone who refuses to wear a mask in public is not much different IMO. Unbelievable.
Those are the people who define "freedom" one as "irrevocable personal privilege" and leave out the "duty to others" part. I saw a guy at the grocery store on Saturday decked out head-to-toe in red, white and blue, joking cynically about the folks wearing masks around him. In this context, I see it as being impossible to be patriotic while also needlessly putting other Americans at risk.

Anyone who refuses to wear a mask in public is not much different IMO. Unbelievable.

Define "public". I think that's where a lot of confusion lies. If my wife & I are walking our dogs around the neighborhood, getting nowhere near anyone else, do we need to have masks on? If I'm playing tennis against another guy- and never getting overly close to him- do I need to be wearing a mask? To me, there's a huge difference between outdoor & indoor mask wearing, and much of it stems from a lack of clarification by those who demand that everyone wear a mask at all times in public, without saying what that really means.

my neighbor has been. He told no one that his wife and daughter have the virus. He and I walk our dogs together and interact on a daily basis. Not a word from him about health issues. Found out yesterday about this and I'm not happy.
Is this an actual thing that happened? I mean I at least on some level get the mask stuff but to not tell people you hang out with you have a communicable disease? Yikes

Well his health situation and the health situations of those that he lives with aren’t really your business OP. If it’s that big of an issue though you could prob get more accomplished by talking to him about it rather than bringing it here.

Well his health situation and the health situations of those that he lives with aren’t really your business OP. If it’s that big of an issue though you could prob get more accomplished by talking to him about it rather than bringing it here.
I’m loving this character you’re playing on here during Covid. This is one of your better ones

It's definitely OP's business if they interact closely and regularly. His neighbor knew he had the virus and chose to hide that him. What if OP is immuno-compromised or lives with someone else who is? Not equating the two viruses here, but there is legal precedent for convicting HIV-infected individuals spreading that disease recklessly or with malicious intent.

It's definitely OP's business if they interact closely and regularly. His neighbor knew he had the virus and chose to hide that him. What if OP is immuno-compromised or lives with someone else who is? Not equating the two viruses here, but there is legal precedent for convicting HIV-infected individuals spreading that disease recklessly or with malicious intent.
Doesn’t mean that the dude is required to tell anyone. Again, I would have said something but no one is required to share their health situation.

Reactions: rowland
I mean I completely disagree with the way the neighbor handled it of course, I would have told him. Just seems like OP thinks that his neighbor is required to share his information and he clearly isn’t.
Let’s define “required” here. Is he under some legal obligation? Not that I’m aware of. Would a decent human being tell his neighbor and is it the right thing to do? Absolutely. You’re kind of splitting hairs with this “required” business. It’s a weird flex

Let’s define “required” here. Is he under some legal obligation? Not that I’m aware of. Would a decent human being tell his neighbor and is it the right thing to do? Absolutely. You’re kind of splitting hairs with this “required” business. It’s a weird flex
Don’t know why you think I’m flexing, kinda weird. Just sounds like OP feels like he’s entitled to his boys health info. Like I said, the dude should have told him but for whatever reason he didn’t.

You may want to get tested. I’m just saying.

Reactions: rednblack4life
Doesn’t mean that the dude is required to tell anyone. Again, I would have said something but no one is required to share their health situation.

I don’t think that the OP was suggesting that his neighbor was required to disclose to him that “my wife and daughter have tested positive for Covid-19.” But it would have been the decent and polite thing for the neighbor to break off in-person contact for a bit, regardless of whether he provided a reason.

How far do you take that? If it’s Ebola or Bubonic Plague (since that’s in the news now) and not Covid-19, is it still ok for the neighbor to just go about his business and not tell anyone with whom he’s having contact?

I'm suggesting that OP is justified in his anxiety and frustration. His buddy CHOSE not to disclose that he has the virus while continuing with his normal patterns of behavior. That's pretty damn reckless, especially if we're assuming that OP's health situation isn't entirely known to the neighbor.

I don’t think that the OP was suggesting that his neighbor was required to disclose to him that “my wife and daughter have tested positive for Covid-19.” But it would have been the decent and polite thing for the neighbor to break off in-person contact for a bit, regardless of whether he provided a reason.

How far do you take that? If it’s Ebola or Bubonic Plague (since that’s in the news now) and not Covid-19, is it still ok for the neighbor to just go about his business and not tell anyone with whom he’s having contact?
Agreed. I would have told him the dog walking was going to be put on hold for a couple weeks.

Don’t know why you think I’m flexing, kinda weird. Just sounds like OP feels like he’s entitled to his boys health info. Like I said, the dude should have told him but for whatever reason he didn’t.

Based off your previous posts and love for gyms it’s reasonable for donalsonville to think you’re flexing. Hell I assume you’re flexing in your chair now as you flex on the Internet.

Last edited:
Agree , I was dead set against the mask but I do believe the humane this to do is wear one. Its a small selfless act
I can get my two-year-old to wear one for an hour at a time. He does take it off every now and again. Just crazy hearing people talk like it's some great inconvenience. I still can't get my 70 something relatives to understand that it's not one mask to protect them personally but to protect others. That it takes everyone wearing one to protect the elderly and those with conditions that make them more likely to get very sick or possibly die.

OP, were you interacting 6ft apart on a daily basis? Were you wearing a mask? Did you wash your hands and dispose of your mask after interacting with him per CDC guidelines? If so, I doubt you have much to worry about.

Those are the people who define "freedom" one as "irrevocable personal privilege" and leave out the "duty to others" part. I saw a guy at the grocery store on Saturday decked out head-to-toe in red, white and blue, joking cynically about the folks wearing masks around him. In this context, I see it as being impossible to be patriotic while also needlessly putting other Americans at risk.

On the other hand if the guy knows his own health and risk and positively he doesn't have it ( the odds are stacked massively in his favor that he is correct) then he is the only one at risk by not wearing a mask. I'd pretty much bet that most people that are picking this up get it from someone they know on a first name basis or in close contact with for some extended period that exceeds passing some random unmasked jackass in the grocery aisle.

I wear a mask in public but if I get it, it's going to come from one of my kids dragging in something and not from a guy picking up weed killler at Home Depot.

This is not an equal opportunity infection. It's wildly demographic in nature. You can look at yourself in the mirror and where your mirror is setting and act accordingly.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/07/05/us/coronavirus-latinos-african-americans-cdc-data.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Reactions: Diverdowndawg
This thread is so sad, so many living in fear. Smh

Agreed. If you're that scared then stay at home. Order your food and dinner's to be delivered. I'm not wearing a mask. I have a good friend who works for CHOA and is also an ER nurse. Masks are largely ineffective for so many reasons. I'm not living in fear any longer. BTW, I was tested for Covid last week (in order to return to work).

Death rate remains at 0.04% in the U.S.

the mask wearing is just the first thing they want to require of everyone, then it will be mandatory testing, then it will be required vaccine (that may or may not work), then its going to be required tracking. See where its going? The polite thing for the friend to do would be to tell the OP, but if someone is scared of contracting the virus, they should isolate themselves. That's the only true way to protect yourself. I've seen some new models stating that 80% of the population will have this by the time its finished, from the model creators that had it right all along.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT