ADVERTISEMENT

CMP Garand sale and 2020 advanced maintenance classes

Nice deal on the Garands. Here's a CMP with 27 bids at $1675. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851946391

I'd almost go to that "build-yer-own" class. But Anniston AL? They need to move CMP to Jackson WY or Nome AK. Bama too damm hot, and OCD lives there.

I have two Garands, have added screw-on gas plug extenders so that the modern shelf ammo doesn't blow out the connecting rods. I grabbed two Carbines from CMP a few years back. One was from a limited fixed price sale, the other from a (drunken) auction bid I placed in case I didn't get one of the limited quantity rifles. I couldn't get interested in them and resold both on the CMP forum. I paid about $800 to forensically disassemble two mini-rifles and then ship them out. I now avoid anything less than a full sized battle rifle.

Oh...rec'd and installed the vintage M16 handguard. They had instructions to do it easy with the help of 15 guys. Must have been printed by the USAF. It took me about 30 seconds to push down on the spring and do the switch.

I'd almost go to that "build-yer-own" class. But Anniston AL? They need to move CMP to Jackson WY or Nome AK. Bama too damm hot, and OCD lives there.

I have two Garands, have added screw-on gas plug extenders so that the modern shelf ammo doesn't blow out the connecting rods. I grabbed two Carbines from CMP a few years back. One was from a limited fixed price sale, the other from a (drunken) auction bid I placed in case I didn't get one of the limited quantity rifles. I couldn't get interested in them and resold both on the CMP forum. I paid about $800 to forensically disassemble two mini-rifles and then ship them out. I now avoid anything less than a full sized battle rifle.

Oh...rec'd and installed the vintage M16 handguard. They had instructions to do it easy with the help of 15 guys. Must have been printed by the USAF. It took me about 30 seconds to push down on the spring and do the switch.
I bet that looks really cool, screams early VN. I bought a Colt SP-1 and took it to Riverbend in the 1980s. They had concrete pie plates at about 220 yards, just in front of the berm. With iron sights, and a buddy spotting for me, once dialed in it was impossible to miss. This was standing and using a post to steady. That's only 3 or 4 MOA, but that is good for me with iron sights. Pie plate was about the size of a head. I wish I had kept that rifle.

I bet that looks really cool, screams early VN. I bought a Colt SP-1 and took it to Riverbend in the 1980s. They had concrete pie plates at about 220 yards, just in front of the berm. With iron sights, and a buddy spotting for me, once dialed in it was impossible to miss. This was standing and using a post to steady. That's only 3 or 4 MOA, but that is good for me with iron sights. Pie plate was about the size of a head. I wish I had kept that rifle.

Nice shooting. Even my waterpistol is scoped. My Colt has one small issue, but not a bad one. Carry handle has two thumb screws so you can go flat top.

@deadduckdawg You still a member at Riverbend?
No, not for a good while. I guess they’re still up toward Waleska, but they were having neighbor problems. I was a member from mid 80s to mid 90s. I met some asshole range officers there. Some guy was rattling off with an AK and a range officer charged up behind me screaming “That you shooting rapid fire?” And I said “This is a f***ing bolt action that holds 3 rounds”. He said you can just get the hell out of here, but then he reconsidered and threw the AK guy out. You a member? Nice place.

Reactions: BonJax
No, not for a good while. I guess they’re still up toward Waleska, but they were having neighbor problems. I was a member from mid 80s to mid 90s. I met some asshole range officers there. Some guy was rattling off with an AK and a range officer charged up behind me screaming “That you shooting rapid fire?” And I said “This is a f***ing bolt action that holds 3 rounds”. He said you can just get the hell out of here, but then he reconsidered and threw the AK guy out. You a member? Nice place.

I am. I held off for a long time after reading their range rules. They seemed to be so onerous, I figured they’d throw me out of the club in about 2 weeks. I’m safe, but some of the rules seemed over the top. I get it though.....nobody wants to get hurt. I haven’t found that to be the fact though. Everyone I’ve met has been pretty cool. Even if I violated the “rules”, no one has been a jackass.
It’s a great place. They’ve not had neighbor issues since I joined 3 years ago, but have bought another piece of land as a buffer for the neighbors.

You have to sign up by March and I am hoping for a business home run that wont materialize in time.....99% sure of it but bird in hand and such. I wonder if its an annual event?

I told Mrs. Moose I would take her to a buddy class so she can improve her head spacing. It's cold out here and I am hungry.

Reactions: deadduckdawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT