ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching turnover has finally caught up with us...

HacksawDawg

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2001
Buford, GA
There's no question we don't have the playmakers on either side of the ball we have had of late. We have a lot of depth, a ton of 4 and 5-star guys, but just not those headliner guys right now. That may keep us from winning a NC, but it isn't the reason we are playing the way we are, which isn't our standard. I don't think anyone is upset that we may not be a NC team this year - we just want to see the players we do have play to the standard we all have come to appreciate under Kirby.

Kirby had really grown into the head coach role in the last few years. Delegating much more, much calmer demeanor on sidelines, etc. The whole operation seemed mature. Kirby seemed to have established HIS program and was confident in being more of a CEO role.

Suddenly, Kirby looks like he's coaching the team by himself this season, at times reminiscent of those frantic first couple of seasons. He absolutely lit Schumann up a couple times yesterday, including once where it resulted in him shoving an MSU player while trying to get to Schu. He's been on Schu's ass all season it seems.

He's openly, almost sarcastically, joking about our secondary giving up explosive plays after the game yesterday. That's about as publicly critical as you'll hear Kirby.

I think Kirby has called the entire D or individual units up as group during the game more this season than he has the last 3-4 seasons combined. He's pushing coaches aside and trying to will us into a better team.

I've emphasized and Kirby echoed last night that our issues are not physical. It's repeated mental lapses on both sides of the ball. Over and over and over. That's not our brand of football. You may beat us, but Kirby teams don't beat themselves. That's become the trademark of this team, though.

Even in pregame yesterday going through team reps, every single damn time, someone was out of place or not even on the field. Energy was shit - no "pop" to the way we warmed up. It just looked sloppy.

Players, scheme, etc aside - the operation doesn't look clean this year. And that's a staff thing. And Kirby knows it. He's trying to fix it all by himself, but he can't - nobody can. It's why you have a large staff.

I'm not absolving the players. They have ownership, as well. But we've grown familiar with what elite looks like operationally. This version looks sloppy.

Kirby is the best coach in college football. He needs more surrogates of his standard.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.