ADVERTISEMENT

College Football is Not Essential

Sez the NYT editorial board.

College Football Is Not Essential
Why are some schools pressuring student-athletes to play a game that could expose them to the coronavirus?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Yawn. Wouldn't expect anything else from them, so no big surprise. I'll bet none of the people that contributed to that editorial have even watched a college football game other than occasional Ivy League games they mingled at when they were undergrads. WGAS what they think or say?

Why are some schools pressuring student-athletes to play a game that could expose them to the coronavirus?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
Love it. Will love it even more when the people up there start getting really pissed watching all of us down here with jobs, watching football, making money, accepting their refugees, etc. - and still doing better against the virus than they are.

They dont want anybody, anywhere having fun.

It's worse than that. The coastal faux elite believe the flyover people are not capable of assessing our risk/reward needs and act accordingly. They would be satisfied if they could save a few from covid and make pious statements even if it meant starving 10Xs the number their policies saved. It was once soft tyranny but now these jackasses are supporting a violent take over by the nanny state.

It's worse than that. The coastal faux elite believe the flyover people are not capable of assessing our risk/reward needs and act accordingly. They would be satisfied if they could save a few from covid and make pious statements even if it meant starving 10Xs the number their policies saved. It was once soft tyranny but now these jackasses are supporting a violent take over by the nanny state.
Reading those comments is proof that we are in deep shit as a society. Many of them have no idea what they are talking about. NY lib lunatics.

Last edited:
They dont want anybody, anywhere having fun.
Yep, they believe if everyone is unhappy then they will vote for the Dems. I guess their point is since the liberals are all unhappy, miserable people so they want everyone to hate life as much as they do!

I am old school, who are “flyover” people?
My definition is anyone who is not on the East or West coasts, (which is all they have experienced) + Chicago, Austin and Boulder.
Essentially any red state and some purple states they consider inferior.

NYT is not suitable for toilet paper so what good is it at all?
The Babylon Bee is more believable than they are. I have proudly never read their drivel in my life. Still sickens me so many still put them on a pedestal and look to them for "the truth".

Screw off NYT. Some things are worth trying. CFB is one of them. It may encounter bumps in the road and any parent/kid is not held hostage to play, but it's worth trying. Lot of smart people on board trying to make it happen.. How bout you worry about cleaning up NY city?

I am old school, who are “flyover” people?

It's the folks you fly over when traveling between NY and LA. It's a pretty old line that illustrates why folks in big cities don't understand middle America and why a guy like Bloomberg thinks he could just scratch up a little ground, plant a seed and be a farmer.

Lost in all of this is that no one is thinking about the kids at all. How many of these kids consider football essential to their lives? My guess would be almost all of them. Not everyone gets born with a silver spoon in their mouth. A lot of hard work has gone into getting to where they are.

A lot of New Yorkers migrate South to get away from the nonsense but then drag the politics that created it along for the ride. It takes some time but they can be retrained with some effort unless they move to Decatur/Emory. Not much you can do about that enclave.

Last edited:
Lost in all of this is that no one is thinking about the kids at all. How many of these kids consider football essential to their lives? My guess would be almost all of them. Not everyone gets born with a silver spoon in their mouth. A lot of hard work has gone into getting to where they are.
True, but today's youth doesn't love the sports or their country like generations before them do.

Reactions: JackRussellDawg
A lot of New Yorkers migrate South to get away from the nonsense but then drag the politics that created it along for the ride. It takes sone time but they can be retrained with some effort unless they move to Decatur/Emory. Not much you can do about that enclave.
I’m with you there. I live as an extreme minority in Decatur. My yard was one of 3 Trump signs in 2016 out of around 500 houses in an old neighborhood. There were a few Trump more supporters but they were not willing to show it. The rest had their hillary signs and their “we believe in science”.

This is ok

d3626f3d-7983-4aed-93e6-ae18f29a7317.jpeg

This is not ok
P3l2tFK464ekD-YL.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT