ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Player Dies of COVID Complications

Driftmier

National Champion
Gold Member
Oct 4, 2019
Apparently the school was not playing football this fall due to COVID concerns, so I can see how the argument can be made that playing football would have prevented this.

Nevertheless, I don’t think this can be spun in a positive way for NCAA football.

Keep the politics out of this please

Last edited:
I believe his dad played OT at NC A&T.

Apparently the school was not playing football this fall due to COVID concerns, so I can see how the argument can be made that playing football would have prevented this.

Nevertheless, I don’t think this can be spun in a positive way for NCAA football.

the California university of Pennsylvania?

Look at that weight. Sadly that is a common denominator with so many deaths from Covid. If you are large it is a tough virus to handle. Prayers to the young man and his family

According to the CDC this would be the first covid death under 25.

I’m only interested in the facts. Did he die and also have covid? Or did covid actually cause his death?

More information is needed before we can say one way or the other. The actual cause of death, hospital course, and co-morbidities are needed.
You already know one co-morbidity factor if someone is truly 6’3” and 355.
Tragic loss of life at such a young age, regardless of the cause.

355 and Covid don't go together....at any age.

Obesity is a huge risk factor for the so called "cytokine storm".

Look at that weight. Sadly that is a common denominator with so many deaths from Covid. If you are large it is a tough virus to handle. Prayers to the young man and his family
For sure though many OL & DL across college football are going to fit In that same weight class. Not quite that big but looking across most SEC rosters are going to find quite a few guys over 320. But you’re absolutely right that obesity seems to be a big comorbidity that is contributing to the more serious cases.

• 76% of the deaths in Georgia are people 65 or older, while only 14% of Georgia’s population is 65 or older.
  • ~40% of deaths in Georgia are people age 80 and older.
  • About half of the COVID deaths in Georgia come from nursing homes and other long-term care facilities.
  • The average age of COVID fatalities in Georgia is ~74.
  • In Georgia, more people 90 and older have died than 55 and under.
On the other hand, COVID is rarely fatal to younger populations.

• Only about 10% of deaths are those are under 55, and less than 3% are under age 40.
  • 13 deaths have occurred in Georgia under 25 years of age, and over half had underlying conditions. That’s 0.3% of all COVID deaths in Georgia. The risk is extremely low for this age group.

I hate this young man died to young for whatever causation. His death should not be politicized for fear tactics. Unfortunately young people are not invincible and even football players die each year from a multitude of reasons. I’m sorry and praying for his family.

Sounds like this guy died of Covid. He was also a college football player. The two having nothing to do with each other. While that shows that college football players are not immune to Covid (which we already knew) it means very little else given he isn’t currently playing. However, I’m sure this will be used by the PAC and the Big 10 for affirmation of their decisions.

• 76% of the deaths in Georgia are people 65 or older, while only 14% of Georgia’s population is 65 or older.
  • ~40% of deaths in Georgia are people age 80 and older.
  • About half of the COVID deaths in Georgia come from nursing homes and other long-term care facilities.
  • The average age of COVID fatalities in Georgia is ~74.
  • In Georgia, more people 90 and older have died than 55 and under.
On the other hand, COVID is rarely fatal to younger populations.

• Only about 10% of deaths are those are under 55, and less than 3% are under age 40.
  • 13 deaths have occurred in Georgia under 25 years of age, and over half had underlying conditions. That’s 0.3% of all COVID deaths in Georgia. The risk is extremely low for this age group.
Only takes ONE,if it's ONE of YOURS.

That is simply incorrect, not sure where you got that from. We have 20 deaths here in GA under 25. Most had pre-existing conditions but not all of them.
Correct on 20 total deaths under the age of 25 in GA.

70% of those have pre-existing conditions (for those for whom that status was known).

33 NCAA football players died playing the sport between 2000 and 2016, an average of two per season.

Somehow potential Covid deaths are more important than the 33, since football wasn't shut down then - how's this about the players and not political again?

And how many will die from drugs and alcohol or in an automobile? Life isn’t without risk. Kids that age are 10x more likely to die from those things and as you see not playing football isn’t keeping kids from catching Covid

The death is tragic.

It is also quite isolated, and literally has nothing to do with football. And that is the point here - *relative risk*.

On average, 10 players from youth to college have died per year in conditioning activities, and sudden cardiac death is the most likely cause of death for an NCAA athlete - with a prevalence *far* more deadly than C19.

Here is a story laying out some of the long-term data: https://www.inquirer.com/health/football-deaths-heat-over-conditioning-ncaa-piaa-20190813.html

Below is research from a man who several days ago started tracking hospitalizations among college students who tested positive for C19. His research has been out there several days and has not been refuted, so I conclude he is much more correct than not.

Bottom line: over 25,000 positive C19 cases among college-age students with *zero* hospitalizations. That is exceedingly strong statistically significant information that puts any single tragic death into overall context.

This headline is ridiculous. The two things have nothing to do with each other. Yet there will be a large number of agenda wielding ass hats that try to make them seem like they do.

In no universe is 355 pounds compatible with longterm health even without a pandemic.

i get what you’re saying & I agree with that logic about the correlation between weight & Covid severity, but to your point, that same logic could end up applying negatively toward the football season. Obviously there are a lot of really big & heavy people playing football.

I mean that’s tragic but he is vastly overweight and might have had underlying health conditions

and you know this how? Can’t just toss that out there without some detail.
CDC said very few deaths were strictly COVID. No documented death of a person under 20 who did not have other health related issues according to CDC. Trust the science.

High BMI is a known risk factor and the US has a much higher percentage of obese people than just about any other country.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...e-deadly-people-obesity-even-if-theyre-young#

sad story and the young man had actually lost weight since he got to the school, he was originally listed at 370 as a freshman, eventually it is going to have to be some form of child abuse to allow your child, with no thyroid or metabolism problems, to get morbidly obese in their teens, 10 percent of teenagers now have fatty livers, his BMI was 46 at 17 years old

Only takes ONE,if it's ONE of YOURS.
548b0c7af7f5f388fcd0220a86701bfd.gif

CDC said very few deaths were strictly COVID. No documented death of a person under 20 who did not have other health related issues according to CDC. Trust the science.

Ok, thanks for confirming that your assertion that this young man had “other health” issues was nothing but total speculation on your part.

Ok, thanks for confirming that your assertion that this young man had “other health” issues was nothing but total speculation on your part.
You have a paliable frroblem with a presumption which is based upon science av
As it would be on your part to assert his death was due strictly to COVID with no other underlying health factors? Can you dispel my presumption based upon CDC findings? Unless you can, I am right.

Couple of things.

Jamain was a student at Cal U of Pennsylvania, which is Division 2.

His high school had announced his death and included the information about the cause of death. They have since retracted that, since it is not official. The actual cause of death hasn't been reported, yet.

He was a fat guy, no 2 ways about it, but very athletic. He played nose tackle. His dad played for the Steelers and the Bengals.

Reactions: WGrovedawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT