ADVERTISEMENT

Comments on Asa's pro potential/UGA's team from Sam Vecenie

Charley Trippy

National Champion
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2020
Was listening to his Game Theory Podcast's "Way Too Early 2025 NBA Mock Draft" episode... Asa was selected as the 13th best prospect by Sam. The comments on Asa were through a lens of projecting him as an NBA player, not as a college player, but they stopped and talked about UGA and how much potential the team overall has. I've probably posted here before but I think they are the best overall basketball podcast out. They are very tapped into NBA, NBA Draft, college, overseas, AAU etc. so hearing them talk pretty glowingly about the Dawgs got me pumped. Thought I would share some highlights:

Comments on Asa:
"Asa Newell plays super hard all the time, has unbelievable instincts. Every single time I watch him it just feels like he's making a winning play."

"Really developed the offensive game over the last 18 months... a lefty who can knock down shots from the perimeter, kind of face up a little bit."

"Just has incredible 'know-how-to-play' sh*t to him, great touch around the basket"

"A legitimately GREAT rim protector... Fantastic at being able to protect the rim, and being able to contest at the basket, sometimes, without fouling."

Comments on the team:
"And going to Georgia, right, that Georgia team's going to be really interesting, they got a guard that I really like, I don't know that he's going to end up getting picked, but Silas Demary is a kid, that, going into last year I was a big fan of and now going into his sophomore year... that Georgia team is going to be interesting, I'm excited to watch them."

"...You mention the Georgia roster as a whole... I think Georgia ends up ranked in the top 25 at some point this year. Look, I don't know if they are a top 25 team, but I bet you they end up in the rankings at some point"

"That roster is super fun. They have, as you mentioned, Demary, and they also have Tyrin Lawrence and Dakota Leffew who were really good transfer gets"

"They got the Drezgic kid... (at the U18 Euros) I thought he was really good as a kind of 6'5", combo-y, really really high level guard."

"Also went out and got RJ Godfrey from Clemson who I've always thought is sneaky an incredible college player. He's so physical and strong."

"They also got Somto Cyril, who I think is a project honestly, but a really long, shot blocking center"

"I just think they have a lot of dudes! They have a lot of guys who I am really interested in watching this year, who I really think probably will play an effective brand of basketball in the SEC."

"Yep, they're gonna be a very, very fun team to watch."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.