ADVERTISEMENT

Coupla things looking at uSCjr so far...

Billy Zane

Master Thespian
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2017
ATL
As has been mentioned many times including my previous post, they got sacked 9 times against UNC. It's interesting to note that the Tarheels didn't notch a single sack this past weekend against App St. Lest you think App St didn't throw it as much, they actually attempted 4 more passes than the Cocks did.

Along the same lines of sucky O-Line play, I was wondering if the Gamecocks total rushing yards, or lack thereof, were in part a result of college football stats deducting rushing yards on sacks. While that obviously didn't help, Dakereon Joyner was the Gamecocks leading rusher, with 23 yds for an average of 1.9 ypc. Nobody else on the team (Rattler, Legette, and McDowell) had a rushing yard total over 0 yards (!).

Things did improve substantially on the ground against mighty Furman, though. uSCjr averaged a whopping 2.8 ypc against the formidable Paladins.

I do expect a bit of regression (progression, in this case) to the mean on Saturday. No team is going to be that inept and ineffectual all year. But, if they even manage 2 ypc, that will be a marked improvement on their 2-game total this year. They are 3rd from the absolute bottom among fbs teams, at just 1.51 ypc on the young season. Oof.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News