ADVERTISEMENT

Couple of non-ejection things…

TheRedRain

War Daddy
Gold Member
May 6, 2005
That whole situation was unfortunate and incredibly un-necessary. It also, quite understandably, overshadowed some other things.

-First, we have pitched great this series. Aside from that one hiccup in the 8th on Friday, the pitchers have been terrific. The bats are still a little cold, but it won’t stay that way. I think this forecasts some very positive results down the stretch.

-On that note, it would have been nice to see Leighton Finley go deeper last night, but that was his best outing and he can take a lot of positives from it. It was clear the plan was to put Zeldin out in there in a tied or close game for 4+ innings to close it down, and that’s what we did.

-Brian Zeldin is absolutely the MVP of this staff, at this point. I don’t think we beat Alabama in the first game or win last night without him.

-Zeldin had close to 45 minutes between the bottom of the 7th and bottom of the 8th. He handled that like a champion.

-Clayton Chadwick wasn’t the guy I expected to hit the go-ahead HR. I liked Coach Johnson’s comments after the game. It says a lot that Chadwick didn’t go in the tank after that misplay in LF (or that misplay at 2b, which I don’t blame on him)

-One quick ejection thought. In a game where several of our players got tossed, who would have thought Josh Roberge wouldn’t be one? Nothing against Roberge, but he definitely runs a little hot.

-If they can get 7+ out of Mcrana and Kolten Smith today (assuming both are available) I think we’ll be ok. And I think that’s feasible. Kolten needs a good road outing.

-It’s easy to say we shouldn’t have sent Dillon Carter there in the 7th. But I didn’t mind the aggression. Make them make a play. They did, Miss State executed it perfectly. Tip your cap. But sometimes in a close game, that’s just what you have to do.

-Like the Alabama series, this has been very even so far. I’ve really enjoyed this series.

-Lastly, the Kolby Branch ejection was BS. Last night’s ejections should not have shown up either. It’s non-sensical. Still, I don’t know that we’ve ever had this many players ejected from games, at least in the modern era. I think it’s over-umpiring primarily, but still… we need to figure out a way to put a stop to it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News