ADVERTISEMENT

Couple quick thoughts…

TheRedRain

War Daddy
Gold Member
May 6, 2005
-Just in terms of final scores, today was what I thought we’d get yesterday and yesterday was what I thought we’d get today

-Having said that, it’s hard to imagine a more stressful 11-2 win. I don’t mean this in a bad way, but I don’t say that because UNCW was some juggernaut. They’re a good team. Their CF could play in the SEC and Thather could as well. It was stressful though, to me anyway, mostly because the umpiring was so bad behind the plate, you knew there were going to be extra base runners and there was always the chance for them to come put up a big inning… and our pitch counts were going to going to be inflated, etc.

-After we scored those two runs on the error, it really felt like we should win. But it wasn’t until the 8th that I started feeling good about it.

-I don’t know that I’ve ever seen Kolten Smith that frustrated. The guy basically had to get 6 outs in the 4th inning. I’m surprised it was that bad in a Regional game, the umpiring.

-48 hours ago if you’d told me that Leighton Finley and Kolten Smith would start games 1 and 2 and neither would make it past the 5th inning, I wouldn’t have been optimistic that we’d be 2-0. If you told me that and then added that we have 3 HRs in those two games, two of which were solo shots, I would have thought that we’d be 0-2. Instead we are 2-0 and have scored 19 runs so far.

-Dillon Carter has been on base A TON this weekend for not having gotten a hit.

-Loved Carter scoring on the error, then immediately turning around and “directing” Chadwick where to go. That second run there, Chadwick’s, was huge and maybe he doesn’t slide where he does without Carter being right there. One of those veteran things that doesn’t show up in the box score

-How about Chadwick being involved in two bang bang plays at home?

-DJ Radtke wasn’t the guy I think anyone was expecting to see first out. What a job that guy did to come on with two guys on and no outs and keep it under control.

-Slate Alford has definitely been the MVP through the first two

-There is just something about this group. We aren’t deep on the pitching staff. Our starters don’t work particularly deep into games. We don’t have a Josh Fields type to come on and overwhelm you. We aren’t an overly good defensive team. There is, and has been, a number of reasons to not expect a deep run.

But I’m honestly sitting here thinking we aren’t going to lose another game this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News