ADVERTISEMENT

Cover 3 guys thoughts on Georgia/Clemson

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
Danny K: You'll see a defense that's really good. You'll see an offense that's gonna try and find an identity post Brock Bowers and Ladd McConkey. That'll be against a really good Clemson defense. We can trust Georgia. They've got a track record of being able to dominate anyone in the regular season. I would expect them to have the edge on both lines of scrimmage. If you were looking for a script of how this game stays close, it's Clemson's D vs. Georgia's O. They have weapons, but I really felt those two (LM and BB) were security blankets for Beck and Bennett before that. The Auburn game last year, on the road and not looking good and then Beck just starts finding Bowers over and over and it opens up everything. I'm curious to see who that guy is for Georgia this year.

Tom F.: There's some question about the front 7 on Georgia's side. Maybe it's not elite, although I still expect it to be pretty dang good. Clemson was okay in down to down efficiency last year, but were awful in explosive play rate. They ranked 121st in the nation in passing explosive play rate. They were also terrible at finishing drives. They ranked 115th in points per RZ possession. They may improve that, but can I be optimistic they are gonna improve that in this game? I'm with Danny. The defense will need to keep it close and hope a bounce goes your way. If Clemson has to score points, Georgia could dog walk 'em.

Bud E.- I'm really excited to watch this game because there's so many questions about roster building and construction and philosophy. I'm interested in Jared Wilson. How will he play? He's missed some camp, but they're excited about him. Clemson has a nasty Dline and Georgia's on the short list of best Olines in the country. They relied heavily on Dom Lovett when Bowers was hurt last year. Is he the safety valve this year? My guess is Etienne does not play. They recruit studs at RB, so I'm not worried about them running the football. I am curious about the pass pro stuff. Clemson can come with some exotic blitzes. Could they whiff and Beck get blindsided and the ball comes out? Defensively, Georgia is really damn good on the edges of the DL and their LBers are total studs. The class they signed two years ago, I'm just telling you as a recruiting guy, they were physically...materially different than any group I've seen in the last two years. The interior DL, they've been banged up. Can Clemson rush the football vs. the interior and win, because I don't think they can win a side to side game with this defense. But maybe they can because of tempo. Will they crank the tempo up? Can they create some busts vs. some new guys in Georgia's secondary? If they can't run the football in the interior, they are in trouble. I don't think Klubnik can drop back 40 times if he has to. But Clemson's receivers are better because they are healthy. The other thing is I don't know if Clemson will have both corners for this game. Both could be out. I'm assuming one plays, but because they don't use the portal, if both are out they could be starting two freshman and that could be a problem.

Tom F. - You mention Bowers being out last year. What else happened when he was out is they ran the ball better because Delp was in there knocking dudes to the next level on those split zones and opening lanes for the RBs.

Bud E.- He's had a huge camp.

Tom F.- Of course. He's an awesome player.

Chip P.- I think Cade's gonna have to run. This is on him to make the write reads and not turnover the ball.

Bud E.- Question: More confidence in Klubnik or the Clemson Wrs.

All: Wrs

Bud E.- Yeah, I don't trust Klubnik at all.

Bud E. - Is Peter Woods moved to DE because he's really good there or because they don't have good ones any more?

Chip P- Both and they are looking at those younger DLs and hope they can come along later in the year because I don't think they're ready right now.

Bud E.- I think this could be a M. Williams breakout game. They're using him more as a rusher. Moving him around less. They like J. Walker more as a chess piece. This could be a Mykel game.

Tom F.- My bold prediction is by Monday Beck is back in front of Gabriel for Heisman odds. Beck will have a good game and Oregon's playing Idaho so it won't matter what Gabriel does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.