ADVERTISEMENT

Dang, hate to hear this…..

Willie Mays passes away, 93 years old:

I didn’t know he was still with us. He was amazing. Every time I hear of one of the old greats I get pissed off at Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, and the others who destroyed the record book. It should be criminal that those cheaters pushed Willie down in the records. 660 HR, .301 BA.

I lived in an American League city, and was not born in time to see Willie at his best, but saw him on tv on Saturday afternoons once or twice at the end of his career for the Giants and Mets. The National League might as well have been in Slovakia as far as we were concerned, and San Francisco was not going to make any tv games unless they were road games. So we walked in to Fenway Park and saw about 150-175, maybe 200 Red Sox games, sitting in the right field grandstand for 75 cents, with 15 cents for a megaphone full of pop corn, and 10 cents for the train and bus ride home. It took great stamina to be a Red Sox fan in those days, sitting through a Saturday double header might take 6 or 7 hours of bad baseball. It would have been nice to see Willie or Koufax play once in a while.

I lived in an American League city, and was not born in time to see Willie at his best, but saw him on tv on Saturday afternoons once or twice at the end of his career for the Giants and Mets. The National League might as well have been in Slovakia as far as we were concerned, and San Francisco was not going to make any tv games unless they were road games. So we walked in to Fenway Park and saw about 150-175, maybe 200 Red Sox games, sitting in the right field grandstand for 75 cents, with 15 cents for a megaphone full of pop corn, and 10 cents for the train and bus ride home. It took great stamina to be a Red Sox fan in those days, sitting through a Saturday double header might take 6 or 7 hours of bad baseball. It would have been nice to see Willie or Koufax play once in a while.
Those were the days my friend and I thought they would never end but they did.. 65

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT