ADVERTISEMENT

Dash, regarding the QBs and Richt......

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
has anyone posed this question to him?

This is the first time you've really had a group with about the same collegiate experience battling for the job. In the past you've either had a returning starter, a fifth year senior (or a junior in Phillips case with playing experience) battling a freshman that were mostly considered to have all american potential out of high school. Is the similarity in terms of collegiate experience and ability what's making this tougher?

I say that because it's pretty amazing to me that in Mark Richt's 15th year as a head coach, this is the first time we will have someone making a first collegiate start in an opener that's not a freshman, nor a senior.

2001- first career start- Greene, freshman
2005- first career start- Shockley, 5th year senior
2006- second career start, JTIII, 5th year senior (only because Shockley was hurt the year before)
2009- second career start, Joe Cox 5th year senior(Cox started a game in 2006 after rallying us the week before, but quickly was supplanted by Stafford and JTIII once he came back)
2010- first career start, Murray freshman
2014- 3rd career start, Mason 5th year senior (but only because Murray was injured the year before)

Richt's got the most tenure in the conference, but I wonder if he is the only one who has never started a tweener in the opener, who wasn't a returning starter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.