ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive front is underrated

Moise

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
I think Kirby says some things to motivate his team and one of those things was when he said that we didn't have a dominant defensive lineman. I think we are going to be very good and deep, and that we will have some dominant DL's. Depth is also key. Maybe some teams can match our starting group, but nobody can match our 3 deep, and we will play that 3 deep. Kirby loves a fresh DL and that philosophy seems to work. Some of these guys listed play multiple positions across the front, so don't get bent out of shape if you think they will play somewhere else.

Nose: 1.) Stackhouse-good player with size and experience, will have a long NFL career 2.) Miller- strong RS freshman year, probably the guy that can make the biggest leap at nose. 3.) Jarrett- in great shape and huge, could also make a big leap this year.

Defensive Tackle: 1.) Brinson- athletic and experienced player that has improved every year. 2.) Hall- I expect a big sophomore jump, doesn't have a ceiling. 3.) McLeod- Kirby wanted him bad out of HS for a reason, had a dominant Spring game.

D-End: Williams will obviously still get snaps here and I think the depth chart positioning is up for grabs, they will all play: 1.) Ingram-Dawkins- Big guy with athleticism, if he stays healthy he can have a good year. 2.) Harris- Very athletic and Kirby had some really good things to say about him this spring. Kirby doesn't casually throw around compliments. 3.) JJA- Has all the makings of being one of the great ones. Had a strong spring, but because of our depth we don't have to rush him, he'll contribute as a freshman.

Outside-LB: Some people may not consider the OLB as a D-lineman, but if you line up on the LOS the majority of the time, then essentially you are. The fact that you are standing at the LOS really doesn't make a difference. Also, since we play just one OLB 80% of the time, I'm just listing that one spot. 1.) Williams will be dominant. 2.) Chambliss is a better player and athlete than people give him credit for, he will be a solid and experienced contributor. 3.) Wilson- another one of those guys primed to make their sophomore leap. He has all the tools and he needs to get on the field. I don't want to see him in the portal next year. 4.) Walker- listed here as 4th string only because technically he is an inside LB. I still think we see him rushing from the edge regularly. In obvious passing downs we need to bring Walker and Williams from opposite sides. This will push QB's up into the pocket, limit their space to operate, and allow our interior guys to feast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.