ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis interview of Harvard and Stanford Professors

CoastalVADawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2019
Great thread summarizing the interview. The actual 2 hour video interview is also attached.

Dr. Martin Kulldorff is a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School who specializes in biostatistics and epidemiology. His research centers on developing and applying new disease surveillance methods for post-market drug and vaccine safety surveillance and for the early detection and monitoring of infectious disease outbreaks.

Dr. Michael Levitt is a professor in biophysics and structural biology at Stanford University School of Medicine. He is a member of the US National Academy and won the 2013 Nobel Prize in Chemistry.

Dr. Jay Bhattacharya Jay Bhattacharya is a Professor of Medicine at Stanford University School of Medicine. He is a research associate at the National Bureau of Economics Research, a senior fellow at the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research, and at the Stanford Freeman Spogli Institute. He holds courtesy appointments as Professor in Economics and in Health Research and Policy. He directs the Stanford Center on the Demography of Health and Aging. Dr. Bhattacharya’s research focuses on the economics of health care around the world with a particular emphasis on the health and well-being of vulnerable populations. Dr. Bhattacharya’s peer-reviewed research has been published in economics, statistics, legal, medical, public health, and health policy journals. He holds an MD and PhD in economics from Stanford University.

DeSantis just picked people that would support his point of view. That's easy to do.

Same as bringing Trump's new advisor (after tiring of Fauci and Brix) without the background to Florida because he would support what DeSantis wanted to do.

You all should be quite familiar with bias since you keep complaining about it. Remember you can find people to support whatever you want. It's like "experts" in trials.

DeSantis just picked people that would support his point of view. That's easy to do.

Same as bringing Trump's new advisor (after tiring of Fauci and Brix) without the background to Florida because he would support what DeSantis wanted to do.

You all should be quite familiar with bias since you keep complaining about it. Remember you can find people to support whatever you want. It's like "experts" in trials.

Celtic.... you're 100% correct.... but the problem is, the numbers continue to say these doctors are right.... as the immortal Foghorn Leghorn once said, "Boy, ah say, hey boy... you can argue with me but ya can't, ah say ya can't argue with the numbers"

Numbers and actual data doesn’t lie. The forecasts do. Explain California versus Georgia.

I’m impressed you have Internet in your hermetically sealed, marble stone lined basement 30 feet down. Sorry Celtic, but your constant contrarian view in regard the the former pandemic is making you come across as a puss. JMHO.

Celtic.... you're 100% correct.... but the problem is, the numbers continue to say these doctors are right.... as the immortal Foghorn Leghorn once said, "Boy, ah say, hey boy... you can argue with me but ya can't, ah say ya can't argue with the numbers"

I get your point. but the numbers aren't agreed to as much as we would probably like. I understand your quote, but all summer people on here have been arguing with the numbers and don't accept them, so it doesn't quite apply.

DeSantis has been better than a lot of other governors, but I certainly haven't agreed with everything he has done or his methods.

I’m impressed you have Internet in your hermetically sealed, marble stone lined basement 30 feet down. Sorry Celtic, but your constant contrarian view in regard the the former pandemic is making you come across as a puss. JMHO.

And your constant blindness to Trump make you come across as quite ignorant, but that's your problem.

BTW, there are few basements in FL and none are 30 feet down; more of your fake news.

Reactions: HarryDawg'95
I get your point. but the numbers aren't agreed to as much as we would probably like. I understand your quote, but all summer people on here have been arguing with the numbers and don't accept them, so it doesn't quite apply.

DeSantis has been better than a lot of other governors, but I certainly haven't agreed with everything he has done or his methods.

Have u ever noticed that any information or position that doesn’t support strict lockdowns, masks, or that covid isn’t the deadliest plague ever seen is simply wrong in your view?

I’ve noticed

Come on, Celtic. You are just as guilty of the very thing your are criticizing. You reject them because you don’t like that they disagree with your side. The biggest problem during this pandemic is there have been a lot of respected experts who had issues with the predictions being made by Ferguson and Fauci. Instead of allowing honest debate, their voices and expertise were never allowed to be heard. They have been largely mocked and sensored by the press, social media, and scientific community (who are all liberal and anti-Trump). Tragically, the side that has been chosen by the media and liberal scientific community has been horribly wrong and has caused more harm than good. It’s OK for you to disagree, but how about you show me the data and sources that support your POV rather than toss something aside just because you believe everyone who doesn’t agree with your POV are just blind Trump supporters. It’s easy for you to mock bias when it’s your side who controls the means to sensor information (and has done it repeatedly). DeSantis is giving them a forum to speak, and I applaud him for that.

Come on, Celtic. You are just as guilty of the very thing your are criticizing. You reject them because you don’t like that they disagree with your side. The biggest problem during this pandemic is there have been a lot of respected experts who had issues with the predictions being made by Ferguson and Fauci. Instead of allowing honest debate, their voices and expertise were never allowed to be heard. They have been largely mocked and sensored by the press, social media, and scientific community (who are all liberal and anti-Trump). Tragically, the side that has been chosen by the media and liberal scientific community has been horribly wrong and has caused more harm than good. It’s OK for you to disagree, but how about you show me the data and sources that support your POV rather than toss something aside just because you believe everyone who doesn’t agree with your POV are just blind Trump supporters. It’s easy for you to mock bias when it’s your side who controls the means to sensor information (and has done it repeatedly). DeSantis is giving them a forum to speak, and I applaud him for that.

You just said - instead of honest debate, their voices and expertise were never allowed to be heard. First of all, that is bullshit - a lot of different opinions have been heard. I don't follow the media much, but that's true of the Chat. And when have you seen a debate between scientists - it typically doesn't happen.

Whenever I try and support something, all I get from some people (not saying you), is I don't like the source and I've had enough of that.

My comment here dealt with the fact this was no debate, just what you are complaining about.

I don't characterize this as DeSantis gave them a forum to speak. Plain and simple, he found people to support his position. It's what we do here, but I don't think it's honest when the Governor does it. He has a right to make certain decisions (and some wind up with him in court), but this was just a rally for his position and not a debate.

Reactions: TheInitials
You just said - instead of honest debate, their voices and expertise were never allowed to be heard. First of all, that is bullshit - a lot of different opinions have been heard. I don't follow the media much, but that's true of the Chat. And when have you seen a debate between scientists - it typically doesn't happen.

Whenever I try and support something, all I get from some people (not saying you), is I don't like the source and I've had enough of that.

My comment here dealt with the fact this was no debate, just what you are complaining about.

I don't characterize this as DeSantis gave them a forum to speak. Plain and simple, he found people to support his position. It's what we do here, but I don't think it's honest when the Governor does it. He has a right to make certain decisions (and some wind up with him in court), but this was just a rally for his position and not a debate.

BS? Can you point me to those other opinions? I never saw them. Perhaps you have better info than I do.

So who has done it just as you would have?

I said on the Chat. Do you read the Chat on just create threads?

Well, I misunderstood your remarks. I actually wasn’t referring to the Chat (which I read as much as post). I was referring to the nation and world at large, which has censored the experts (and those like them) that DeSantis invited to speak.

Reactions: celticdawg
So who has done it just as you would have?

I'm sorry I don't have the expertise to have made all the decisions and I don't necessarily agree with everything that anyone has done, but I wouldn't expect that. I just wish more people in power would have been better leaders and too many decisions have been made for political reasons.

Is there something in particular you would have done?

Reactions: khonelson
Not Celtic, but think the lesson of the virus is that none of the experts have gotten it right and that does not mean that the experts are incompetent or political, this is a new virus so they are doing the best they can. There is no question that DeSantis found people who shared his view, would be stunned if he did the opposite. Most of Europe showed much more improvement (in new cases) than we did but over the past week are now once again in a far worse position than we are, and if anyone predicted that I missed it. Fingers crossed the previous trend of our numbers lagging Europe's by a month or so doesn't repeat itself, with the UK in particular taking very strong actions after opening up previously. What appears true everywhere is fewer deaths than before, and that we can all be grateful for.

I'm sorry I don't have the expertise to have made all the decisions and I don't necessarily agree with everything that anyone has done, but I wouldn't expect that. I just wish more people in power would have been better leaders and too many decisions have been made for political reasons.

Is there something in particular you would have done?
Honestly, I'm not sure what many wanted people in power to do 4-5 months ago. The thing that drove me up the wall was I honestly don't think it would have mattered, if it didn't line up with your (as in anybody) views, it would have been wrong according to many people.

This "stay home for 20 days to curve the spread" has turned into full blown lunacy with some states. People have lost their businesses and livelihoods. The suicide rate is a serious issue that hasn't been discussed enough during all of this.

Not Celtic, but think the lesson of the virus is that none of the experts have gotten it right and that does not mean that the experts are incompetent or political, this is a new virus so they are doing the best they can. There is no question that DeSantis found people who shared his view, would be stunned if he did the opposite. Most of Europe showed much more improvement (in new cases) than we did but over the past week are now once again in a far worse position than we are, and if anyone predicted that I missed it. Fingers crossed the previous trend of our numbers lagging Europe's by a month or so doesn't repeat itself, with the UK in particular taking very strong actions after opening up previously. What appears true everywhere is fewer deaths than before, and that we can all be grateful for.

Totally agree with you richb1 and thanks for the intelligent post. We'll see what happens.

Honestly, I'm not sure what many wanted people in power to do 4-5 months ago. The thing that drove me up the wall was I honestly don't think it would have mattered, if it didn't line up with your (as in anybody) views, it would have been wrong according to many people.

This "stay home for 20 days to curve the spread" has turned into full blown lunacy with some states. People have lost their businesses and livelihoods. The suicide rate is a serious issue that hasn't been discussed enough during all of this.

Basically I agree with you. There were hard choices to be made and not necessarily any right answers at the time. I think there could have been better leadership from some and I'll leave it at that. There are some people who are saying they had the answers the whole time and it just worked out for them. I bet no one would have bet their life that they were correct, if you know what I mean.

It has definitely been terrible for the economy and it's going to be a while for some parts to come back. I have seen a lot of articles about suicide and mental problems, though it could certainly be discussed more.

Let's move on and make some better decisions.

Reactions: khonelson
Basically I agree with you. There were hard choices to be made and not necessarily any right answers at the time. I think there could have been better leadership from some and I'll leave it at that. There are some people who are saying they had the answers the whole time and it just worked out for them. I bet no one would have bet their life that they were correct, if you know what I mean.

It has definitely been terrible for the economy and it's going to be a while for some parts to come back. I have seen a lot of articles about suicide and mental problems, though it could certainly be discussed more.

In the end all the average citizen should have done is listen to coach O

based on senile joes commercials, the continued demand for closing down the country and masks by the left, is just to try and make Trump look bad. The one playing over and over here is joesephus saying you can't rebuild an economy with 1000 people a day dying from covid,, then he sternly looks into the teleprompter and says Mr. President, do your job.

The one that played all the time before was all about how joe would get the equipment testing up to where it should be. LOL,,, like Trump didn't do that.. I hope he is asked why he called the president a raciest for stopping flights from China. Joestupid is great at plagiarizing.

Yep should have followed Sweden and not done anything government over reach is a big issue.

Yep should have followed Sweden and not done anything government over reach is a big issue.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm going to disagree. Every time I read about Sweden they talk about how well Swedes follow the rules. While we seem to have the complete opposite in this country. They also trust their public health officials more than other countries. We could have not shut down the economy as much as we did (I'm aware of many problems that resulted), but some areas had problems even with a lot of restrictions.

As you probably know Sweden had it's highest number of cases last week since July, so we'll have to see where they go and where the US goes in the coming months.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm going to disagree. Every time I read about Sweden they talk about how well Swedes follow the rules. While we seem to have the complete opposite in this country. They also trust their public health officials more than other countries. We could have not shut down the economy as much as we did (I'm aware of many problems that resulted), but some areas had problems even with a lot of restrictions.

As you probably know Sweden had it's highest number of cases last week since July, so we'll have to see where they go and where the US goes in the coming months.
Maybe if the US gov was actually trusted by the people, rules would be followed however gov subterfuge has eroded that public trust.

That Celtic dude was wrong on everything back in March. Absolutely nothing turned out like he said on the virus. Im guessing he is doubling down, now....hoping...waiting.

That happens when, for example: a motorcycle accidental death is counted as Covid19 death. And, in this vein we could go on and on and on and on. You get the point, or at least you should by now. This " virus" and its potency has most certainly been maximized by evil people with what to gain? They want Trump out, have for 4 years. And why do you think he is "ahead" in the polls? As a final ditch effort, they setup the mail in voting as a way to tip the scales post election day. Nothing is as it appears and you cannot trust the media, they don't my or your best interest at all.

That happens when, for example: a motorcycle accidental death is counted as Covid19 death. And, in this vein we could go on and on and on and on. You get the point, or at least you should by now. This " virus" and its potency has most certainly been maximized by evil people with what to gain? They want Trump out, have for 4 years. And why do you think he is "ahead" in the polls? As a final ditch effort, they setup the mail in voting as a way to tip the scales post election day. Nothing is as it appears and you cannot trust the media, they don't my or your best interest at all.
And you have no proof of a motorcycle death being a COVID death, because you don't know the results of the CDC reviewing the death certificate. That one is pretty clear cut, you get the point.

And evil people is more of your conspiracy theories.

I'm not trusting the media for anything, but I do see what Trump is trying to do to the election in his desperation.

And you have no proof of a motorcycle death being a COVID death, because you don't know the results of the CDC reviewing the death certificate. That one is pretty clear cut, you get the point.

And evil people is more of your conspiracy theories.

I'm not trusting the media for anything, but I do see what Trump is trying to do to the election in his desperation.
ORLANDO, Fla. (CBS12) — A man who died in a motorcycle crash was counted as a COVID-19 death in Florida, according to a new report from FOX 35 Orlando.

According to the report, Orange County Health Officer Dr. Raul Pino was asked whether two coronavirus victims in their 20s had any underlying medical conditions that could have potentially made them more susceptible to the virus.

Pino's answer was that one of the two people who was listed as a COVID death actually died in a motorcycle crash. Despite health officials knowing the man died in a motorcycle crash, it is unclear whether or not his death was removed from the overall count in the state.

Dr. Pino tells FOX 35 that one "could actually argue that it could have been the COVID-19 that caused him to crash."

ADVERTISEMENT