ADVERTISEMENT

Entirely political.

Damn, it’s almost as if you have to follow through with contingencies in case situations change.

Reactions: DAWG1980
As much as the media wants, everything done today isn’t political.

This was released on 8/2.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pac-12-players-covid-19-statement-football-season

Easiest way to squash this is to eliminate the one thing that can fund it, football.

One season away from the game will make those thankful for what they have and quit asking for more.

Heck, the Penn State President is in the pocket of the Koch brothers and see how he voted.

Money and power will always trump personal ideologies.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pac-12-players-covid-19-statement-football-season

Easiest way to squash this is to eliminate the one thing that can fund it, football.

One season away from the game will make those thankful for what they have and quit asking for more.

Heck, the Penn State President is in the pocket of the Koch brothers and see how he voted.

I think you are on to something here and I’ve been thinking it for a while.

I would say it is more like 50 / 50 - litigation avoidance / politics.

You either trust the advice from your medical experts or you don’t.

Don’t see the liability issue going away in the spring or fall of next year though; particularly when you half the people who won’t get the vaccine regardless.

Reactions: HuntinDawg
You either trust the advice from your medical experts or you don’t.

Don’t see the liability issue going away in the spring or fall of next year though; particularly when you half the people who won’t get the vaccine regardless.
agree about next year - that's why postponing till spring makes zero sense.
people forget this shit started in late winter early spring.

What changed in those four days?
Nothing. B1G conference play was scheduled to start Labor Day weekend. You have to give the teams ample notice of their schedule so that they can coordinate bud services, etc., regardless if you think the season is going to happen or not. That’s why they’re called “contingencies;” they’re contingent on different factors.

But please explain the politics to me. What makes this so obviously political and not, say, financial.

COVID has to be maintained as a serious threat. It continues the agenda. If major sports go on as usual, it loses steam and possibly fizzles out which is bad for the agenda.

I don’t see this as political. This didn’t come from Athletic Directors. It was a decision from major university presidents, many of whom view sports as an ancillary activity to the school’s main purpose.

COVID has to be maintained as a serious threat. It continues the agenda. If major sports go on as usual, it loses steam and possibly fizzles out which is bad for the agenda.

Yet we have major sports happening - baseball, NBA, hockey and soccer have all restarted.

You honestly think University Presidents are making decisions that will cause hugely negative financial impacts to the schools they run to ensure Trump loses an election?

JFC are you kidding me?

giphy.gif

I don’t see this as political. This didn’t come from Athletic Directors. It was a decision from major university presidents, many of whom view sports as an ancillary activity to the school’s main purpose.

This is all about financials and risk mitigation.

"If major sports go on as usual"

NBA, PGA, MLS, NHL, MLB have all restarted...and nothing about them has been "usual" (no fans, etc.)

did you miss those reopenings?

Reactions: BaileyDawg79
Agree about it being a decision of university presidents, but all but one of the university presidents in the BIG are subject to political pressure at the state level.

You honestly think University Presidents are making decisions that will cause hugely negative financial impacts to the schools they run to ensure Trump loses an election?

Personally I think they are being compensated to do this behind closed doors, which alleviates the financial strain. As crazy as this may sound to you, it's 10x better than backing out and losing millions, despite the data, because of paranoia i.e. lawsuits down the road.

Personally I think they are being compensated to do this behind closed doors, which alleviates the financial strain. As crazy as this may sound to you, it's 10x better than backing out and losing millions, despite the data, because of paranoia i.e. lawsuits down the road.

Is George Soros compensating them?

"If major sports go on as usual"

NBA, PGA, MLS, NHL, MLB have all restarted...and nothing about them has been "usual" (no fans, etc.)

did you miss those reopenings?

Come on. You honestly think those went on "as usual"? Those were all substantially pushed back and postponed.

Political people make everything political.
I could be 100% wrong, but my take is this is more about college presidents not wanting to deal with the liability issues presented by playing coupled with the legit fear of athletes unifying around the idea of quasi or full professionalism. If you put a gun to the heads of the presidents and asked them is this more about player safety or is it more about long term costs if this goes the way it looks like it would go, I think they'd tell us they're using COVID as the pretense to avoid paying players for the next 100 years.

Compensated BY WHOM??? The lengths some people will go to in order to perpetuate a conspiracy theory... o_O

Except real leaders stand up and say to those pansy entitled kids, "Fine. We're having a football season and if you're not present on the first day of practice we will understand you have chose to surrender your full scholarship and we will offer that scholarship to another student athlete. If we have to delay the season a month to finalize our rosters, we will. If we have to essentially revert to a club sport, we will. And you will matriculate elsewhere."

If all Pac12 presidents had the balls to do that, you'd have a handful of rich white boys take a stand to make a statement, but most players would return. Leaders don't let students run their universities.

Reactions: JohnnyBeeDawg
Except real leaders stand up and say to those pansy entitled kids, "Fine. We're having a football season and if you're not present on the first day of practice we will understand you have chose to surrender your full scholarship and we will offer that scholarship to another student athlete. If we have to delay the season a month to finalize our rosters, we will. If we have to essentially revert to a club sport, we will. And you will matriculate elsewhere."

If all Pac12 presidents had the balls to do that, you'd have a handful of rich white boys take a stand to make a statement, but most players would return. Leaders don't let students run their universities.

there is a lot to unpack in this post.

you said "if sports go on as usual..."

Meaning the season starting on time. Meaning no events postponed. Meaning no games rescheduled.

If all of these things happened, the perception of the severity of the virus would be diminished.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT