ADVERTISEMENT

Few thoughts on baseball…

Anthony Dasher

Circle of Honor
Staff
Aug 29, 2007
Winterville, Georgia
First of all, this team made it a LOT farther than I expected.
With 28 new players (including 18 transfers), there’s no way anyone saw this coming.
Georgia was picked 6th - in the East.
Pitching depth obviously lacked, but for the first time in a long time we saw guys improve. Leighton Finley and Kolten Smith, for example.
Ditto for position players.
The Bulldogs obliterated the school record for home runs, with Corey Collins, Fernando Gonzalez and several others having career years.
I can’t say enough about Charlie Condon.
As fine a rep of UGA as I’ve seen, Charlie was on the verge of tears during the press conference.
Looking ahead, Tre Phelps is going to be an absolute star. Kolby Branch could return but he is a draft-eligible sophomore. The rest of the starters are either out eligibility or will be drafted.
But I’m honestly not that concerned.
Georgia has already added seven transfers and more are to come.
Ryan Black - who they got from Texas-Arlington - is rated as the top portal signee by any school so far.
Charlie Jones from Air Force and Ryland Zabrowski from Miami-Ohio are legit .300 hitters with pop.
Georgia will be adding some arm. I predict some very good ones.
There’s some in the portal now and more to come.
Those needs will be addressed.
Also, this may be the best incoming class of freshmen that Georgia has in 7-8 years.
Bryce Clavon, Eric Parker, Cade Brown and Michael Mullinax have the potential to make a similar impact as Phelps did as a true freshman.
Freshman pitcher Nate Taylor from Buford - along with others - will help.

On a personal note. It’s been a fun year covering the team. Hope y’all enjoyed it and it’s been cool baseball become part of the Vent conversation and not just something to kill time looking ahead to football.
Speaking of which, Media Days in Dallas is just a month away.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News