ADVERTISEMENT

Final round memory on a lighter note.

elevator

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2001
I'm thinking this must have been 1979, maybe a year or so either side. My buddy, Jim Duffy, the business manager at Augusta College, and I were at the final round. We'd been on the course most of the day and moving around so as to catch most of the leaders ands the guys we wanted to see. Jack and Arnie had been paired up and we wanted to see them up close. They weren't in contention, but of course had a huge crowd following them. We knew the course well because I had been asst. BB coach at Augusta College in 1975-76 and had attended every Masters since. Duffy had probably been to ten or fifteen. We decided to get to the 17th tee early because you could get really close to the players, within five yards or so as I remember, if you were in the front on that tee. So we headed over there while Jack and Arnie were finishing on 15. We had secured our spots standing right at the front of the crowd at 17. As Arnie and Jack approached the 16th tee we noticed we needed beers. We'd had several throughout the day to stay hydrated. There is, or was, a concession stand 25-30 yards from the 17th tee. I said Duff, they are just hitting, so you have time to get there and back. He took off. Well Arnie and Jack both hit it close and either birdied or parred quickly. As they headed towards the 17th tee I looked around nervously, afraid Duffy might miss them. After a bit I saw Duffy trying to elbow through the crowd carrying two beers. I said, probably in a raised voice, "cmon Duff, they are about to tee off" Duffy stumbles up to me spilling beer ands as I turned to watch the action I saw Arnie stopped halfway through his swing looking at us. Time froze, and Arnie says, as he lowers his driver, you boys about ready now". We both mumbled something like yes sir Mr. Palmer and I noticed Jack laughing so hard I thought he might pee in his pants.

Then they both hit and took off. Of course, if Arnie had been in contention he might have wrapped his driver around me, or Duffy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News