ADVERTISEMENT

Five and Ten, National, and other Hugh Acheson restaurants

dawgtooth27

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2016
Apparently the owner of these longtime Athens restaurants, Hugh Acheson, made statements via instagram advocating for protestors to burn down small businesses if it helps the current social justice movement. Stating that the business owners can just get repaid from their insurance companies. His restaurants have fallen off in recent years in terms of quality. Nonetheless, as a small business owner, I won’t be eating at any of his establishments again. Just thought I should pass this info along.

Apparently the owner of these longtime Athens restaurants, Hugh Acheson, made statements via instagram advocating for protestors to burn down small businesses if it helps the current social justice movement. Stating that the business owners can just get repaid from their insurance companies. His restaurants have fallen off in recent years in terms of quality. Nonetheless, as a small business owner, I won’t be eating at any of his establishments again. Just thought I should pass this info along.

Overpriced, under portioned, overrated

Well alrighty then. I hope he volunteers his shiny newish place on Milledge to be the first to get lit up.

I went and looked at the post and that’s not actually exactly what he said. I think his post fails because he didn’t use commas appropriately.

I think he was trying to convey that if you think all protestors are looters and rioters you’re missing the point. However the lack of commas makes it seem like he’s saying if you call the looters and rioters and protestors bad people you’re missing the point.

I think I will not be spending any money in Athens in the future. Damn liberal scum have ruined a good thing. That POS might lose his business after the lack of UGA football income. Keep it up libs! You have a day of reckoning coming, and it is November 3rd,2020!

I went and looked at the post and that’s not actually exactly what he said. I think his post fails because he didn’t use commas appropriately.

I think he was trying to convey that if you think all protestors are looters and rioters you’re missing the point. However the lack of commas makes it seem like he’s saying if you call the looters and rioters and protestors bad people you’re missing the point.

it is in the replies, I think he took a comment down, but he is a lunatic on the edge of something

Nice seeing the wait will be shorter next time I make a trip. Then again I'm not sure most of y'all who say you're boycotting now were customers before.

Would love some controversy to shorten the wait at Mama's Boy too, wait has been out of control for years!

Reactions: 78DAWG
Nice seeing the wait will be shorter next time I make a trip. Then again I'm not sure most of y'all who say you're boycotting now were customers before.

Would love some controversy to shorten the wait at Mama's Boy too, wait has been out of control for years!
Why would you think we have not patronized these places of business? We come to the games and spend our money on these places and do not want to be preached too, that we are the problem. If that is what he wants let the SJW’s keep his bills paid. Life is way to short to listen to that type of crap.

Hugh does not own The National.
he does lean left.
will continue to dine at 5&10. 65

Reactions: plainvanilla
Nonetheless, as a small business owner, I won’t be eating at any of his establishments again.

If Trump wins, it’s a moot point anyway since HA will be moving to Montreal or Lisbon. I seriously doubt his moral compass would allow him to make money off any business in a country that would elect such a “sh*thead”

If Trump wins, it’s a moot point anyway since HA will be moving to Montreal or Lisbon. I seriously doubt his moral compass would allow him to make money off any business in a country that would elect such a “sh*thead”

He's all mouth, stupid and not going anywhere. Defund his business.

Why would you think we have not patronized these places of business? We come to the games and spend our money on these places and do not want to be preached too, that we are the problem. If that is what he wants let the SJW’s keep his bills paid. Life is way to short to listen to that type of crap.

I take you as more the type who frequents The Varsity than Five & Ten, but perhaps I am wrong in my assumption. It's pretty common for hoighty toighty chefs like Hugh to lean left, so his post is entirely unsurprising to me. I imagine you'd find many in the food service industry who share his beliefs.

In any event, my view is life is too short to care about the political beliefs of the owners of restaurants I frequent. I like the spicy chicken sandwich at Chick-fil-a and the beer at Scofflaw despite some people wanting to boycott for them being too conservative. I like the food at Five & Ten despite some people wanting to boycott for them being too liberal.

You guys are always trying to find something to boycott these days, be it Five & Ten or the NBA. I just don't really care either way because I don't let politics ruin my experience eating brunch on Sunday after a Dawgs game.

I take you as more the type who frequents The Varsity than Five & Ten, but perhaps I am wrong in my assumption. It's pretty common for hoighty toighty chefs like Hugh to lean left, so his post is entirely unsurprising to me. I imagine you'd find many in the food service industry who share his beliefs.

In any event, my view is life is too short to care about the political beliefs of the owners of restaurants I frequent. I like the spicy chicken sandwich at Chick-fil-a and the beer at Scofflaw despite some people wanting to boycott for them being too conservative. I like the food at Five & Ten despite some people wanting to boycott for them being too liberal.

You guys are always trying to find something to boycott these days, be it Five & Ten or the NBA. I just don't really care either way because I don't let politics ruin my experience eating brunch on Sunday after a Dawgs game.
:rolleyes:

That is crazy. And ironically, I suspect he has jeopardized whatever coverage he might have under his own insurance policies by inciting the very destruction that would cause the damage. So he is both a loon and a dumbass.

you guys are always looking for a city to burn down, which will ruin your brunch if they let happen in Athens

you guys are always looking for a city to burn down, which will ruin your brunch if they let happen in Athens

"you guys" assumes I agree with the sentiment, which I don't. But for more complex reasons than you disagree, and with a much smaller degree of disagreement. Much different discussion.

The more salient point is I don't care he said it when deciding where I'm going to eat. I'll let the food and my mood determine that.

It typically the left that boycotts, or attempts to do so. I simply choose to spend my money where the owner/ operator loves and appreciates this great nation with the freedom and opportunity it offers to those who choose to participate. Your assumption is a little off. I live in Decatur so the varsity is not one of the choices I make when I do make it back to my Alma mater and the school where I earned my degree. I understand the concepts of fine dining, Decatur has its fair share as well. The difference is I do not preach to my clients about how they should vote and live their lives. If I chose to preach to my clients they would have to make a choice to agree and move on or disagree and not patronize my business.

"you guys" assumes I agree with the sentiment, which I don't. But for more complex reasons than you disagree, and with a much smaller degree of disagreement. Much different discussion.

The more salient point is I don't care he said it when deciding where I'm going to eat. I'll let the food and my mood determine that.

so where is the line for you? If he posted he doesn't want illegal immigrants in his restaurant would you still eat there because you loved food? Would it put you off if he posted he was moving back to Canada if Biden wins? It is very easy to minimize it down to a food choice when the views align with yours. If I went into one of his restaurants wearing a Trump shirt, which I don't own by the way, you think he serves me or tells me to leave based on his social media rants?

so where is the line for you? If he posted he doesn't want illegal immigrants in his restaurant would you still eat there because you loved food? Would it put you off if he posted he was moving back to Canada if Biden wins? It is very easy to minimize it down to a food choice when the views align with yours. If I went into one of his restaurants wearing a Trump shirt, which I don't own by the way, you think he serves me or tells me to leave based on his social media rants?

I don't follow Hugh Acheson on any social media platform so this would never come up. I've never researched any chef's political beliefs when making a decision on where to eat.

Y'all are engaging in classic snowflake behavior here to be honest....

It typically the left that boycotts, or attempts to do so. I simply choose to spend my money where the owner/ operator loves and appreciates this great nation with the freedom and opportunity it offers to those who choose to participate. Your assumption is a little off. I live in Decatur so the varsity is not one of the choices I make when I do make it back to my Alma mater and the school where I earned my degree. I understand the concepts of fine dining, Decatur has its fair share as well. The difference is I do not preach to my clients about how they should vote and live their lives. If I chose to preach to my clients they would have to make a choice to agree and move on or disagree and not patronize my business.

Is that true that the left boycotts more? I swear I've seen just as much about boycotts over the years from the right as from the left.

And happy to hear you have better taste than The Varsity (which not only serves poor quality food but has negative associations with our trade school brethren)

I don't follow Hugh Acheson on any social media platform so this would never come up. I've never researched any chef's political beliefs when making a decision on where to eat.

Y'all are engaging in classic snowflake behavior here to be honest....

I don't follow anybody on social media, I don't have any social media accounts but when someone brings something to my attention I will look it up, you didn't answer the questions, you just made a condescending remark that I have no clue how it pertains to what I posted, which is normal for a certain segment of society today including Hugh Acheson

I don't follow anybody on social media, I don't have any social media accounts but when someone brings something to my attention I will look it up, you didn't answer the questions, you just made a condescending remark that I have no clue how it pertains to what I posted, which is normal for a certain segment of society today

I would not care. I answered that I don't care about politics for determining where to eat. Perhaps you require the further clarification that if someone made sure to inform me, I also would not allow it to impact me. If I genuinely cared, I would likely never eat at a McDonald's (or buy Nike shoes for that matter). But I do.

You're looking for a 'gotcha' that isn't coming.

I would not care. I answered that I don't care about politics for determining where to eat. Perhaps you require the further clarification that if someone made sure to inform me, I also would not allow it to impact me. If I genuinely cared, I would likely never eat at a McDonald's (or buy Nike shoes for that matter). But I do.

You certainly have strong opinions about a subject that makes no difference to you. You must have posted half a dozen times in this thread.

I am not fishing for a gotcha, I am trying to have a discussion, but if you truly don't have a line then I understand why it doesn't matter to you

You certainly have strong opinions about a subject that makes no difference to you. You must have posted half a dozen times in this thread.

I have a very strong opinion on whether I'd eat at Five & Ten and a strong opinion on what I think of people who would boycott for Hugh's post. Same way I enjoy mocking those who would boycott UGA football because of a pregame event for social justice or because of Monty Rice's tweets.

I just find it curious that amid cries about the woes of 'cancel culture' that some here are so willing to embrace the same methods of 'leftists' - to each their own, just a matter of owning the hypocrisy, as many here do

I have a very strong opinion on whether I'd eat at Five & Ten and a strong opinion on what I think of people who would boycott for Hugh's post. Same way I enjoy mocking those who would boycott UGA football because of a pregame event for social justice or because of Monty Rice's tweets.

I just find it curious that amid cries about the woes of 'cancel culture' that some here are so willing to embrace the same methods of 'leftists' - to each their own, just a matter of owning the hypocrisy, as many here do
No hypocrisy, just you punch me I 'll punch back but with much more force! That comment is not directed at you, but the libs in general. The left are the snowflakes that demand we pay for their livelihoods as they pursue their empty meaningless causes of anti-capitalism.
The conservative people of this nation are tired of being preached to and told how we should act. We are much too busy working to support our families and our way of life to find time to "protest Injustice". Many of these problems are solved by working in an honest job that provides an opportunity for advancement, and making smart choices in your daily life. Repeating the same mistakes that bring someone down is far to common in the liberal lifestyle. The conservative way is not to get on social media and demand a boycott, we just choose to stay away from what ticks us off. The left on the other hand wants to completely shut down anything they do not like, that is hypocrisy at it finest. We (libs) demand free speech, but you can't have yours.

both of those people, Hugh and Monty, promoted violence and or property destruction and you are ok with that? You enjoy mocking people for opposing that?

Enjoy the hatred

both of those people, Hugh and Monty, promoted violence and or property destruction and you are ok with that? You enjoy mocking people for opposing that?

yes it’s equivalent to when I mock the libs when they won’t eat at CFA

I respect his right to post what he believes on social media. I’ve been to his restaurant quite a few times but will not return because of the hateful posts. I would not feel comfortable there any longer.

I respect his right to post what he believes on social media. I’ve been to his restaurant quite a few times but will not return because of the hateful posts. I would not feel comfortable there any longer.
Yeah. I'm out. He will have plenty of money from Athens rock bands.

Reactions: d-dawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT