ADVERTISEMENT

Found this start to Williams answer about Matt Luke's impact really strange in Dash's opposition research piece. Spoke a half-essay on our weak DL

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
compared to 2021's.

What impact have you seen from Matt Luke thus far?

Williams
: Three years ago entering the opener in Charlotte, I spent quite a lot of time trying to inform Clemson fans that the defensive line they were about to face presented a monster challenge.

It was clear in watching the previous year's bowl win over Cincinnati that these were just different dudes. And as it turned out that game was the coming-out party for one of the great defensive fronts in college football history.

In watching Georgia last year, and in monitoring the coverage of the Dawgs over the last month or so, I don't get the same sense. I'm certainly not saying they're not any good. And given the talent they've stockpiled it seems unfair to say they're ordinary. I guess the right way to put it is they didn't look extraordinary on the interior defensive line last year, and of course, that could change because players develop and get better.

Alabama was able to run the ball between the tackles on the Dawgs last December, and that was a huge key in how that game unfolded.

He then finally talks about Luke:
Clemson's offensive line was saddled with injuries last year and still showed some flashes. They're all healthy now from what I've gathered, and they were able to consistently win battles against a pretty decorated defensive front over the last month in practice.

Luke has made a major difference so far with not just his technical expertise but also his command of the room. Everyone who watches this team in practice comes away impressed with how much coaching he's doing at all times, and with all of his players.

He wants this offensive line's DNA to be centered on physical and mental toughness if Clemson is able to demonstrate that in his first game by consistently running it between the tackles, he'll be a popular man in Clemson."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.