ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia/Texas media takes: Cubelic

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
CC: Georgia takes out Texas. Massive game. Huge. Scene was awesome. I've never seen anything like the penalty and reversal. Agree with Kirby in that maybe some really bad precedent was set. I hope that's not the case.

Okay. 30-15. Carson Beck wasn't great, but similar to the Bama game, he can really overcome some bad football and then all of the sudden start playing good football. Etienne can just finagle his way into gaps and get north and south in a hurry. He makes them dynamic. Felt like they could've ridden him a little more than they did. Some of the inside zone stuff was really nice. Texas LBers were being really aggressive and they kind of let them play over the top and Etienne could just wiggle through there. It was good stuff.

Thought the TEs looked better for GA. Better blocking, caught a couple of big passes. But ultimately, every Georgia game has turned into a drop back game at some point and it's just how much of that will we see. But it's fine. We can talk UGA O, but it really doesn't matter because Texas' O is the one that caught hell and UGA's D won the game.

The star of the game was Jalon Walker. There were multiple guys though. Multiple that flat balled in this game, but I thought 11 was out of his mind. Georgia was the more physical and intense team in this game. And I've tried to find ways to describe it and "gritty" is the only thing I can come up with. And I feel like UGA proved "We're a little more rigid than you are". Physicality and intensity was a massive reason Georgia won this game. Everette had the big pick. Starks made some plays. Jackson did some good things before he got ejected. R. Wilson was flying around. Williams off the edge was doing good things. RT for Texas had a long day. LT did not get dominated like some are saying, but the RT was a different story. Damon Wilson was awesome in this game. The way J. Walker closes the space...unbelievable. He was sitting there waiting on Arch to move out of the pocket. Chambliss had a good game. Stackhouse had a couple good plays against the run. I've been saying this all year, Brinson is the guy. Strike and shed, made one play by himself, but he's the guy that lets those LBers run and make plays. He is a massive piece of why they are successful. Aguerro set the edge one time. I'm sitting there thinking it was just like Tykee. He's setting the edge then playing off the ball and tracking this stuff down? That's the kind of stuff this defense can do that not a lot of others can do. And more importantly, that's the kind of stuff not a lot of other people can do anything about. And that's my take away. Georgia proves they're a little more rigid than Texas and I don't think anyone is on Georgia's level there. I don't. I haven't seen it if there is.

The other part is Georgia still has guys where there isn't much you can do about it. There's a couple of things they ran that were pretty crafty. There were some coverage things. A couple of pressure packages. A couple of things they did right before the snap. That's gonna get anybody. DL stems and two backers walk up in the A gap right before the snap. You gotta be pretty advanced to stop that. Unless you've got some kind of quick protection on, that's asking a lot. It's a different front, you can't change the front. When the two backers move up, the center can't take both of them. And if a RB is there to pick up one they twist which is even more of a mind F. And they pulled out a couple of things like that. But let me be really clear when I say this, Georgia won the game because they won one on ones. That's it. Plain and simple. How many Longhorn ball carriers did you see make a guy miss and go for a long gain? Whether it was a TE out in the flat, an RB out in the flat, two RBs out in the flat, one trailing and throw it out like a toss sweep, may have gone for four to six yards at best. That's been going for 16 and 26 against everybody else. And a bunch went for no gain on Saturday. Georgia handled the detachments beautifully. They were aggressive and it cost them a few times with penalties. But I don't care. Georgia was more physical.

I said going in that I was concerned about Georgia's tackles against the Texas edge defenders they had been releasing on people. I thought Simmons might be able to have a good game. I thought Anthony Hill Jr. might be able to have a good game. They didn't have the success out there I thought they would.

Texas was 2 of 15 on third down. Yikes! 1 of 5 on fourth down. Double yikes! Not a great offensive performance from either side but GA out rushed TX 110 to 29. Georgia proved again they just have guys that you can't do much about. It's the one on ones that won the game. There is scheme involved in everything. This wasn't reinventing the wheel. Georgia didn't show a defense like Arkansas did vs. Tennessee two weeks ago or what Auburn showed LSU in 2019 where it was a different scheme. They ran their stuff, dominated the one on ones and won the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.