ADVERTISEMENT

Good Morning Dawg Nation.

TheColonelUGA

Army Attack DAWG
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2022
Lynn Haven, Florida
Goooooooooooood Morning Dawg Nation.

Special Greetings from this old soldier, thanks to April our faithful moderator. You may not realize it but today is The Army Birthday AND Flag Day. (It’s also a former President’s Birthday but that’s for another website) Since it is Wednesday, Military Appreciation Day here on GMDN, April offered me the honors and I accepted.

First things first. The Dawg machine continues to roll along. Yesterday, another Sports service forecast Georgia to have the Nation’s best Defense…AGAIN! This, despite losing several key pieces of the 2022 National Championship Team to the NFL. The closing comment says it all, “Given how Georgia has been recruiting, it’s hard not to see it this way not only this year, but for the foreseeable future”. As Jackie Gleason said many times, “HOW SWEET IT IS”.

This evening, The Deputy Commander and I will be hosting backyard BBQ/Birthday Party. If any of you are in the Panhandle, you’re invited. I hope to post a few pictures here tomorrow.

uyPwVPV_d.jpg
Since a very early age, I wanted to be a soldier. I also was fascinated by helicopters. When Vietnam came along, I believe it was my destiny. Most young men were either drafted in military service or deferred until graduating college. And, the Army needed lots of helicopter pilots. The rest is history.

I often think of my life and Coach Lou Holtz’s stated wisdom…” The most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you discovered WHY you were born”.

The Army is certainly NOT without fault, but it remains ONE of the most respected institutions in America. Military service is one of the noblest professions the world knows…when the cause is just. The Army completely changed my life and opened my eyes to a world that I never knew existed. I lived, worked and fought with some truly amazing people, traveled the world, and experienced things most only see in movies. And, I got to fly helicopters to boot, “The most fun you can have with your pants on”.

I am proud to be an Army Cavalry Officer, Proud to be an Army Helicopter Pilot, and Proud to An American. I can’t express to you the honor and pride this humble Atlanta boy feels for having been given the opportunity to serve the nation.

Thanks again April for honoring me with this opening. And thanks to each of you for welcoming me here. I look forward to meeting each of you in person one day.

Prayers for all in need, sick and hurting. If you are celebrating a special occasion today…make it a very happy one. Tell someone you love just how much. Be safe, take care and have a Wonderful Wednesday.

GO DAWGS!!!

Some Military Traditions explained.

The Hand Salute. In medieval times, Knights on horseback with their suits of armor would raise their facemask when approaching other knights in armor. This would allow for recognition and became the basis for today’s symbol of greeting and respect.
The Gun Salute. Early models of muskets, pistols and cannon were single shot and required time to reload. When meeting an adversary under non-hostile conditions, it was customary to discharge your weapon to render it ineffective. This custom has become a symbol of honor today with 21 gun and cannon salutes at funerals and for dignitaries.
The number 21! There are many explanations for the selection of 21 as an honor. The number has evolved over the years. It originated with astrological and biblical numbers 7, number of states in the union, and number of cannon warships presented. However, the USA officially recognized the number 21 in 1842 as the highest honor the Nation can render. At the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, sentries take 21 paces, pause 21 seconds, turn and return with 21 paces. 21 has become a universal number of honor.
The Position of Honor. The Honor Position is always on the right. The National Colors will always be the furthest right of the podium (on the left if you are viewing from the audience). The honored guest will always be on the speaker’s right. This position has its origin from the days when military men carried swords predominately on the left hip. To avoid injury when drawing swords, persons being honored were always placed to the right.
The “Clinking of Glasses” in a Toast. In medieval times, to show good faith that you meant your guest no harm from threat of poisoning, people would usually mix their beverages by pouring a small amount from one cup to the other. This act of trust and respect is now symbolized in the “Clinking of Glasses” during toasts and special occasions.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.