ADVERTISEMENT

Good read on how the DA in Clarke County helped contribute to Ibarra staying in Athens.

Gfunk20

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2017
From Erick Erickson’s Substack:

“It’s so bad that local law enforcement has been trying to find ways to tie crimes to federal law so prosecutions will happen. Joe Biden’s United States Attorney takes crime more seriously than the locally elected District Attorney.

For those not from the area, Deborah Gonzalez, the District Attorney in Clarke County, Georgia, is a progressive prosecutor whose refusal to enforce the law and prosecute crimes caused the state legislature to pass a law making it easier to remove District Attorneys. Her office is so poorly managed by her that, though she is authorized to have 17 Assistant District Attorneys, she has just three. In 2023, her office dismissed 46% of cases and reduced over 130 felony prosecutions to misdemeanors. She also lost fourteen murder trials in a row. The Clarke County DA sued the state, challenging the law, and the State Supreme Court is forcing the legislature to rewrite the law.”

46% of cases dismissed. Unreal.

https://open.substack.com/pub/eweri...-fc9?r=7c6j0&utm_medium=ios&utm_campaign=post

I've also heard of ACCPD officers telling victims that they have a better chance of getting justice by handling things through the civil process instead of the criminal process because the DA never prosecutes or wins cases. Victim advocates in the county tell them the same thing. As bad as people think it is, it's actually worse.

I've also heard of ACCPD officers telling victims that they have a better chance of getting justice by handling things through the civil process instead of the criminal process because the DA never prosecutes or wins cases. Victim advocates in the county tell them the same thing. As bad as people think it is, it's actually worse.
That’s sad and disgusting.

“It’s so bad that local law enforcement has been trying to find ways to tie crimes to federal law so prosecutions will happen. Joe Biden’s United States Attorney takes crime more seriously than the locally elected District Attorney.

For those not from the area, Deborah Gonzalez, the District Attorney in Clarke County, Georgia, is a progressive prosecutor whose refusal to enforce the law and prosecute crimes caused the state legislature to pass a law making it easier to remove District Attorneys. Her office is so poorly managed by her that, though she is authorized to have 17 Assistant District Attorneys, she has just three. In 2023, her office dismissed 46% of cases and reduced over 130 felony prosecutions to misdemeanors. She also lost fourteen murder trials in a row. The Clarke County DA sued the state, challenging the law, and the State Supreme Court is forcing the legislature to rewrite the law.”

https://open.substack.com/pub/eweri...-fc9?r=7c6j0&utm_medium=ios&utm_campaign=post
She is one of the biggest problems. They are trying to get her out. It is absolutely amazing what she has let Clarke county start to turn into. Sad thing is, her constituents circle the wagons better than anyone as usual. They will never look at someone too progressive and think maybe this isn’t working. I don’t see an end in sight. There were several fantastic Democrats in office over the years. They have been forced out or have retired recently. The last of the old guard common sense democrats are almost gone. Now you have just mostly the extreme lefties in charge.

I don't think she had any experience with criminal trials prior to being elected DA, looks like her entire career was focused on Entertainment Law, intellectual property and contract negotiations etc. It seems like a bunch of transplants are running Athens, and running it into the ground.

She is one of the biggest problems. They are trying to get her out. It is absolutely amazing what she has let Clarke county start to turn into. Sad thing is, her constituents circle the wagons better than anyone as usual. They will never look at someone too progressive and think maybe this isn’t working. I don’t see an end in sight. There were several fantastic Democrats in office over the years. They have been forced out or have retired recently. The last of the old guard common sense democrats are almost gone. Now you have just mostly the extreme lefties in charge.
Soros backed? Seems to be a pattern here

Think the fulton county DA will be in the market soon.....

Her record on sexual assaults is about as bad. She’s horrible. And will probably get at least 65-70% of the vote in Athens. This town is gone.

Her record on sexual assaults is about as bad. She’s horrible. And will probably get at least 65-70% of the vote in Athens. This town is gone.
You have a local place like I do. It is so gone. You talk about defund the police. Only when it serves a political purpose. Sick of it. You are right. They will still vote for her. Despite the mountains of evidence showing that there may not be a worse DA at her job other than Fani in the entire state.

Last edited:
Why is she so popular locally if she is so poor at her job? I can't imagine voting someone into office with her track record.
JC
The county is mostly Democrat or liberal now. They don’t break rank. No matter how bad it is. I knew several commissioners over the years. Used to help some get elected as much as I could. Democrat commissioners. No chance otherwise. But old school guys who were middle of the road democrats. Jerry Nesmith was one of them. He passed away a few years ago right after winning reelection. Great man and a super politician

Reactions: Dawgdocindosta

When you let the inmates vote on who runs the asylum, this is what you get.

You have a local place like I do. It is so gone. You talk about defund the police. Only when it serves a political purpose. Sick of it. You are right. They will still vote for her. Despite the mountains of evidence showing that there may not be a worse DA at her job other than Fani in the entire state.
Athens/CC has turned into our own little "blue hellhole" that we thought only existed in other states (other than Atlanta). Single party cities, run by democrats exclusively are total failures and have the highest murder rates in the country. (Baltimore/DC/Detroit/St Louis, etc.)

If Trump wins, this will be the reason.

I did business with ACC around 1990. They were on this track back then. It’s taken them awhile to get to this point, but they were always going to get here.

My question is, why is she still in office? I’m not being critical of Kemp or the legislature, but Athens is his hometown and is this not why the legislation was passed to remove DAs like this?

I did business with ACC around 1990. They were on this track back then. It’s taken them awhile to get to this point, but they were always going to get here.

My question is, why is she still in office? I’m not being critical of Kemp or the legislature, but Athens is his hometown and is this not why the legislation was passed to remove DAs like this?
They are trying to. Funny you say that. I would play the lottery today. If you hit, I want ten percent. lol.

Posted ten minutes ago. Above

The county is mostly Democrat or liberal now. They don’t break rank. No matter how bad it is. I knew several commissioners over the years. Used to help some get elected as much as I could. Democrat commissioners. No chance otherwise. But old school guys who were middle of the road democrats. Jerry Nesmith was one of them. He passed away a few years ago right after winning reelection. Great man and a super politician
Nesmith actually won reelection after he died.So people voted for a dead man over his opponent. Who then became the commissioner. And he is as far left as possible.

Reactions: zingerdawg
Nesmith actually won reelection after he died.So people voted for a dead man over his opponent. Who then became the commissioner. And he is as far left as possible.
Yep. His wife tried hard to get them to honor his wishes. But they appointed someone left of left anyway. He was only running to keep that from happening at 71. He didn’t need the headache. Really good man. Athens has suffered since he passed away. I backed him every time he ran.

Reactions: BlindPig
I don't think she had any experience with criminal trials prior to being elected DA, looks like her entire career was focused on Entertainment Law, intellectual property and contract negotiations etc. It seems like a bunch of transplants are running Athens, and running it into the ground.
I hope Kemp removes her from office asap. He needs to do something.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
I hope Kemp removes her from office asap. He needs to do something.
Kemp can't do that, directly. The legislature needs to get SB 92 straightened out (remove language requiring approval by Georgia Supreme Court). The oversight group that would make those decisions is already in place.

Democrats vote for Democrats regardless of how awful their track record, or in her case incompetent. If she is pro abortion that’s all that seems to matter to today’s Democrats.

It really is that simple. She's a Democrat. People would rather die with Democrats, than live with Republicans

I do not often do this, but I am now forced to do so at this time. Your comments are so full of lies, it is unreal. They are unworthy of comment.

I do not often do this, but I am now forced to do so at this time. Your comments are so full of lies, it is unreal. They are unworthy of comment.
This you? 😂😂😂

yn1DQiZ.jpeg

The new DA in gwinnett will also start running in to issues soon. If you haven't already, I would start making plans to get out that county ASAP. In 5 years it will be a shell of what was the best place to live in GA (in my opinion)

A minimum of 4 need to be VOTED OUT.
The Ted Wheeler Mayor
The DA
2 ACC commissioners that want to reduce law enforcement by 50% over the next 10 years.

A minimum of 4 need to be VOTED OUT.
The Ted Wheeler Mayor
The DA
2 ACC commissioners that want to reduce law enforcement by 50% over the next 10 years.
I wonder if the 2 ACC commissioners who want that realize that there are NO police officers on duty in downtown Athens during their daytime due to lack of officers? Or care?

The new DA in gwinnett will also start running in to issues soon. If you haven't already, I would start making plans to get out that county ASAP. In 5 years it will be a shell of what was the best place to live in GA (in my opinion)
I think it is already there except extreme North GC.....when they have to offer teachers Combat pay to hire or stay on it is really telling....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT