ADVERTISEMENT

Good times indeed

Dawg to the Bone

B2B Ain't nothing finer in the land!
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I was 17 years old when we won the 1980 National Championship. During that year and the next three that followed I had an optimism that I have never head till the last couple of years. It's a good feeling. It's the best of feelings.

During those Dooley years, you just knew that the Dawgs, even if outmanned would find a way to win. I think that they lost four games in those four years (1980-1984). A loss was not even a consideration and when it did happen (Pittsburgh with Moreno, Penn State with Blackledge, both losses at the very end of the 4th Qtr), it was against the very best teams we played and seemed almost like a fluke.

Then there was the slow slide into the good to very good, but not great or elite struggle in the wilderness for the decade of the nineties. We had some good teams and beat some very good teams (Wisconsin with Ron Dayne, Ohio State with Kirk Herbstreit), but we could not beat the big boys in the league nearly enough. Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn and even Georgia Tech were winning more than we were in the series rivalry.

Richt made us nationally relevant and important again. He turned the series with Auburn and Tennessee and Tech. We still struggled with Florida, but overall, he was a needed improvement that had us once again fighting for SEC Championships. However, one still sort of hoped that we would win against the big boys and you could not be fully confident. He won a lot against great competition, lost some, but could not get over that last jump.

Kirby Smart has reached the pinnacle where you go into a game assuming that you will win against anybody. And, its not like you are just going to find a way to win, but generally you expect to win by a few scores. It's a great feeling to be back at that place. Georgia football is now the dominant team in the sport. What a wonderful feeling.

Nothing last forever. Enjoy this. Remember this.

200.gif

Reactions: woofn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.