ADVERTISEMENT

Had to take my wife to……

Eastmandawg

Circle of Honor
May 29, 2001
the emergency room Friday.

Hell, pretty sure I have never seen someone in pain as bad as she was. She had a very tough time walking and then couldn’t. Later, she could not even move any part of her body without being in a world of hurt…..she was in tears. I have never seen her this way before, as she is a very tough bird.

Get to the emergency entrance and we had to put her in a wheelchair to enter.

Within 30 minutes or so, they get her back to triage to check her vitals (all good). Sent us back out to wait with the other 50 or so people waiting to be called on.

So now…. the wait begins. As the waiting room begins to empty, it would fill back up again.

Nonetheless, it took 3 hours before we were called back so she could get a room for the doctor to see her.

Waited in the room for over another hour and no doctor or nurse had come in yet to see us to this point. Went to the nurse's station to express concern and they explained to me there was only 1 doctor for 7 patients.

I mean what the FF do you do??

Again, she couldn’t even move without excruciating pain. I/we thought it might have been pancreatitis because of the symptoms….so we both are concerned/worried.

Two hours later, we finally get to see a doctor.

She/we complained of the pain and just wanted it to stop. They offered morphine to her and I questioned it…..because I felt that may be dangerous without them actually knowing what her condition was and no tests being run up to this point & time….so she didn’t get the shot of morphine.

An hour later they came back to take some blood. Then maybe 20 minutes later, they ran a CT scan.

They came back maybe 30-40 minutes later and said that this was from muscular pain……which had radiated from her back to her abdomen.

We both were flabbergasted, but they are the pros, not us. Apparently, all of this came from the day before, helping me put together patio furniture (moving/lifting etc).

They gave her anti-inflammatory, a muscle relaxer and some kind of opioid. The pain finally slowly started to subside. 30 minutes or so later, they asked her to walk…..gingerly, she did so, but very cautiously & slowly.

Wheeled her out and took her home.

Altogether, we were there about 8 or 9 hours. Crazy, but I guess the day after the 4th is a BIZZY day for them.

I really thought it was something more serious…..like maybe a gall bladder. She has never had anything hit her like this before. Luckily, she has always had good health, plus she stays very active and fit.

Today, she is 100%…thank the Lord, I am very thankful & grateful.

Last edited:

Hell, pretty sure I have never seen someone in pain as bad as she was. She had a very tough time walking and then couldn’t. Later, she could not even move any part of her body without being in a world of hurt…..she was in tears. I have never seen her this way before, as she is a very tough bird.

Within 30 minutes or so, they get her back to triage to check her vitals (all good). Sent us back out to wait with the other 50 or so people waiting to be called on.

So now…. the wait begins. As the waiting room begins to empty, it would fill back up again.

Nonetheless, it took 3 hours before we were called back so she could get a room for the doctor to see her.

Waited in the room for over a hour and no doctor or nurse had come in yet to see us to this point. Went to the nurses station to express concern and they explained to me there was only 1 doctor for 7 patients.

Again, she couldn’t even move without excruciating pain. I/we thought it might have been pancreatitis because of the symptoms….so we both are concerned/worried.

She/we complained of the pain and just wanted it to stop. They offered morphine to her and I questioned it…..because I felt that may be dangerous without them actually knowing what it was and no tests being run up to this point & time….so she didn’t get the shot of morphine.

An hour later they came back to take some blood. Then maybe 20 minutes later, they ran a CT scan.

They came back maybe 30-40 minutes later and said that this was from muscular pain……which had radiated from her back to her abdomen.

We both were flabbergasted, but they are the pros, not us. Apparently, all of this came from the day before, helping me put together patio furniture (moving/lifting etc).

They gave her anti-inflammatory, a muscle relaxer and some kind of opioid. The pain finally slowly started to subside. 30 minutes or so later, they asked her to walk…..gingerly, she did so, but very cautiously & slowly.

Altogether, we were there about 8 or 9 hours. Crazy, but I guess the day after the 4th is a BIZZY day for them.

I really thought it was something more serious…..like maybe a gall bladder. She really never has anything hit her like this before. Luckily, she has always had good health, plus she stays very active and fit.

I'm glad she's feeling better. The emergency rooms are always filled with non-emergencies and they don't(or can't) turn them away as they should.

I had to go to an emergency room one time in rural South Carolina. On the other side of the sheet was a woman with a crying child. I heard the doctor telling her the kid had an ear infection and has had it for several days. He was on the verge of screaming at the woman for letting her child go for days with this infection and then bringing her to the ER(in the middle of the night) when this could have been easily handled at any doctors office. The reason they go to the ER is they have no intention of paying the bill and the doctors office will make you pay up front.

Reactions: JackRussellDawg
I'm glad she's feeling better. The emergency rooms are always filled with non-emergencies and they don't(or can't) turn them away as they should.

I had to go to an emergency room one time in rural South Carolina. On the other side of the sheet was a woman with a crying child. I heard the doctor telling her the kid had an ear infection and has had it for several days. He was on the verge of screaming at the woman for letting her child go for days with this infection and then bringing her to the ER(in the middle of the night) when this could have been easily handled at any doctors office. The reason they go to the ER is they have no intention of paying the bill and the doctors office will make you pay up front.
Thanks!

I hear ya, I questioned them more than once and did raise my voice 1 time…..when the doctor finally did come in, she with an attitude, like “She Hate Me”.

We had no choice but to go to the emergency room…..but 9 hours of being there is insane, but what do you do.

Money…..they certainly had no reason to be concerned. But I understand what you’re saying.

Reactions: JackRussellDawg

Waited in the room for over a hour and no doctor or nurse had come in yet to see us to this point. Went to the nurses station to express concern and they explained to me there was only 1 doctor for 7 patients.

She/we complained of the pain and just wanted it to stop. They offered morphine to her and I questioned it…..because I felt that may be dangerous without them actually knowing what it was and no tests being run up to this point & time….so she didn’t get the shot of morphine.

I really thought it was something more serious…..like maybe a gall bladder. She really never has anything hit her like this before. Luckily, she has always had good health, plus she stays very active and fit.

Terrible. Went through a very similar thing with my wife two years ago. Sciatica type pain. She had three back surgeries. One thing I learned was if the pain is that bad, call an ambulance. You will get an immediate room and a doc very soon.

I’m glad she’s OK.

Terrible. Went through a very similar thing with my wife two years ago. Sciatica type pain. She had three back surgeries. One thing I learned was if the pain is that bad, call an ambulance. You will get an immediate room and a doc very soon.

I’m glad she’s OK.
Was headed to Urgent Care, but it got progressively worse very quickly, until the pain was unbearable.

Just took her straight to the emergency room.

Thanks!

I have been that 6 to 8 hours to be seen in the er. 4 times last October. Even when my wife was bleeding. Only a 150 heart rate got her right in. Even then there were 4 people on ambulance stretchers just brought in.

I guess er's are not profitable so they are understaffed.

Im glad she is doing better , you should have taken the morphine when they offered it, yes opioids are dangerous but its the only thing that will help w that kind of pain.

I had sciatica so bad back in January , I finally had to get a morphine shot , it was like a gift from God.

Not surprised about the ER, 9 hours is nuts though.

Was headed to Urgent Care, but it got progressively worse very quickly, until the pain was unbearable.

Just took her straight to the emergency room.

Thanks!
From what I’ve seen in the last few years, Urgent Care facilities can do nothing much more than check vitals and put on a band aid. Anything more, they will send you to the ER. And DDD is right, take the ambulance.

Reactions: deadduckdawg
Im glad she is doing better , you should have taken the morphine when they offered it, yes opioids are dangerous but its the only thing that will help w that kind of pain.

I had sciatica so bad back in January , I finally had to get a morphine shot , it was like a gift from God.

Sciatica can cause pain so bad you can’t walk, can’t get out of bed. And yes, the morphine is a gift from God. I’ve had it three times, wife had a brutal case. I’ve also felt it coming on a number of times and just stayed horizontal for a day or two and it went away. I hope you never have it again.

Thats a long time. Sorry you 2 had to go through that. The Health care system is almost totally broken. Just not enough workers to make it safe and efficient. Burnout is at all all time high.

Thanks!

Understand what you are saying, but at that point they had not run any tests to determine what was wrong with her.
I have had a bad reaction to morphine in the past, got even sicker (nauseous, cold sweat, dizzy) and passed out. Refused to take it anymore afterwards, just a horrible, horrible experience. Didn't want them guessing w/her and something go wrong so I wanted an alternative. Could have been me just projecting my experience. But at the time, felt as though I was rolling the dice and did not want to take that chance with her.

Have seen/heard of too many horror stories of people entering the hospital and never leaving.....dying of something else other than what they came in for.

Our concern at the time was that she may have had gallstones/pancreatitis (inflamed) and the bile duct could have been blocked. Based that decision on a quick search at the time & found this:

"Morphine can cause excitatory effect on Oddi's sphincter motility and therefore induces upper abdominal pain with characteristics of biliary colic in some patients. Morphine could increase intrabiliary duct pressure[1-3], and delay bile flow to the duodenum[4], for this reason, other opioid analgesics rather than morphine are recommended clinically to relieve the pain, especially biliary pain".

Don't know if the above is true or not, but again......I certainly did not want them to take that chance without knowing what was wrong with her. I did ask the doc if it was safe for her to take the morphine and she said yes.....but don't know how she can say yes without knowing what is wrong with her, especially if the above is true. The doctor could have been a "quack" 4 all I know...again, didn't want to chance it

As far as Urgent Care goes, as I mentioned earlier.......we were headed that way and her condition suddenly got worse while I was driving her there. She felt it had become life threatening and so did I, like maybe a gallbladder rupture....she definitely had the symptoms. So we headed to the hospital, we thought that was the best place to go at the time rather than Urgent Care.

There were probably 10 or more come in through ambulances while we waited (3-hour period) to the already 50 or so that were already sitting there. The ones that came in through the ambulances had to wait also. When it started to empty out, more people would just come in. Pretty sure that they just did not have enough staff to handle the emergencies. The day after the 4th is apparently a very busy day.

In retrospect, I may have could handle some things differently......but U only know what you know at the time. The ambulance was not the best choice nor was Urgent Care (as some mentioned) based on what we knew. Just glad she is okay and doing well after the scare.

Appreciate the concern and input. It was just a bad, bad day that ended up on a positive note. She's now back to work and still kicking like a chicken.

Last edited:
Reactions: celticdawg

Sorry you and your bride had to go through that. The wait times in emergency rooms are insane! I thought Obama care was the fix to all our medical problems! Extreme sarcasm

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT