ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone been to Portugal?

St Pete Dawg

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Dec 14, 2001
Tampa, FL
My wife and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary in a few months. We wanted to go some where new to us. We'd heard Portugal was great, so we booked. We'll fly into Faro and spend 3 days in the Algarve region, then make our way to Lisbon for the remainder of the week before flying home.

Has anyone been? What are the must-dos? Restaurants?

Any advice would be welcomed!

Thanks and go dawgs!

My wife and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary in a few months. We wanted to go some where new to us. We'd heard Portugal was great, so we booked. We'll fly into Faro and spend 3 days in the Algarve region, then make our way to Lisbon for the remainder of the week before flying home.

Thanks and go dawgs!
It's terrific. Go to the Douro Valley and stay at the Six Senses.

Thanks and go dawgs!

Did you say Portugal? Nevermind, sorry.

I’ve heard great things about it. I thought about trying to work it into my Spanish trip a few years back which was probably my favorite place I’ve ever visited.

Went last year - it’s now one one of my favorite countries in Europe. High percentage of English speakers, and incredibly American friendly.

if you are in Algarve, and haven’t booked your stay, look at Lagos, very quaint old beach town. The cliffs and caverns on the coast are amazing and the food was incredible.

in Lisbon, remember it’s a Huge city. Where you say will make all the difference. We stayed at the Altis Avenida ( https://www.altishotels.com/en/altis-avenida-hotel/ ). Awesome property on the border of the older parts of town. In a valley between the hill where Barrio Alto is (great restaurants, clubs), and the old palace on another hill(go see it).. Walking distance (flat) thru an old section of town, lots of streetside restaurants, couple blocks from the famous Elevador, and the waterfront. Catch a tour street car. Cheap and great way to see the city. Acrossthe street from a major train station that will take you out to Sintra ( a MUST SEE).

can’t recommend Portugal enough. It’s fabulous.

Reactions: atlanta cock#
Douro Valley is a must. We only did a day in the valley going between the vineyards with a driver. If I could do it again I would stay 2-3 days there and explore it more.

If you want a fancy/high-end restaurant in Porto I would recommend: Casa de Chá da Boa Nova

In Lisbon I agree with above in going out to Sintra via train is worth the trip.
If you are doing Algarve prior, I would skip Cascais in Porto area won't compare in my opinion.
If you want a quick history tour around the city to see the historic areas the Tuk-Tuk tour is great. I have our guides info if you are interested.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT