ADVERTISEMENT

Here's How I See It

Ludatripp

Harriest Dawg
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2018
I think we are far enough into the season to start presenting some observations from my perspective on this Georgia team.

Our offense could really use a big time WR. I am happy that we have a stable of guys that you can trust. We seem to be deep with quality WRs but we don't seem to have anyone that can win a big game for us. It is great that the defense can't key on a particular guy, and there are advantages to being able to spread the ball around, but I get pretty jealous when I see other top teams being able to feed a ball to a future first rounder deep down the field. I would love to see another George Pickens, Bowers, or AJ Green on our side. Arian Smith has proven that he can get past a defense but he doesn't consistently bring the ball down. IMO, Bell is our best WR and deserves 7+ touches a game. I'd also be fine with Lawson Luckie being the only TE we throw to. I'm cool giving a target or 2 to Delp to keep defenses honest but #7 is a better pass catching threat.

ETN is our best back and it is clear the coaches think so too. I can't wait for Frazier to start doing whatever he needs to do in practice to earn more trust from the coaches because he is our next best ball carrier. I know Branson Robinson is coming back from surgery but he doesn't seem to find the hole as well as Frazier.

The O-Line is pretty good but isn't great. Losing Tate is a bummer because he is likely our best player up front. Fairchild, Wilson, and Greene look like they can grow into very good players but I don't see them dominating right now. Morris and Truss have had enough time to show us who they are and they are not the studs Pittman brought in. Our offensive line is starting to resemble the lines of the Richt era. A bunch of 3 and 4 star dudes that don't quite have the physical gifts to take over a game.

There is still time this year for Bobo and Beck to find a rhythm but I certainly miss Monken. I think he is the best OC we have ever had so I knew we were likely to take a step back after he left. He just seemed to get cooking much faster. I think Bobo is a quality OC but I get the sense that he ends up reacting and adjusting to the defense too often. I felt like Monken would force the defense to react to him and had answers ready to go as soon as they did. It's either that or Beck just isn't near the dude that SBIV was.

I think the biggest issue with our defense this year is our trouble getting of blocks on the perimeter. I'm used to seeing those swing passes and screens getting blown up by our CBs but I am not seeing it this year. I am also used to seeing our ILBs getting outside too, so my guess is that they are getting caught up in the wash, a sign that our D-Line is not demanding double teams.

I feel like our DBs have actually been pretty good this year. I wish KJ was already a few years older. He looks great at times but looks like a freshman sometimes as well.

Overall, my eyes tell me we look a lot like last year. Really good but missing the element that makes us great. I believe we have the pieces to make a run in the CFP. There is still plenty of time to start playing more consistently. Miss St comes at a good time. We have an opportunity to get right against them and build some confidence. If we go out to Austin and play 4 quarters of UGA football then we can beat them by multiple scores. They are good but I can see the team that played the 2nd half of the Clemson and Bama games beating them 42 - 21. We got the right guy in charge to get it done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.