ADVERTISEMENT

Homeowners insurance……..

Just curious, how much have yours gone up from a year ago??

Just got ours and it went up 30%. Expected some, but not that much. It’s not like we live in Florida or anything (MO), seems excessive.
Georgia has the 5th highest rates in the country.

It will get worst. Most HO companies in Georgia are losing money.

Just curious, how much have yours gone up from a year ago??

Just got ours and it went up 30%. Expected some, but not that much. It’s not like we live in Florida or anything (MO), seems excessive.
The insurance industry is in a bad way at the moment. For most of your life and mine, they raised rates when they didn’t make as much money as they wanted to make or predicted. Now they are actually losing money. It is a different animal at the moment.

The insurance industry is in a bad way at the moment. For most of your life and mine, they raised rates when they didn’t make as much money as they wanted to make or predicted. Now they are actually losing money. It is a different animal at the moment.
you're right, I have read they are even using drones to fly over homes and canceling high risk customers, as well as asking them to install a device on your car or using phone apps to monitor your driving habits. As you would probably already know, they would offer a discount if you would use them. They said they couldn't use it against you. I thought it was BS to start with, a double-edged.....told wifey no.

Now I see where they are canceling people, they consider a risk thru their monitoring.

Read about a couple in Florida yesterday where their homeowners jumped around 40% or more, they decided to drop their coverage. They have saved $100,000 over a 13-year period with no incidents......risky, but something to consider.

From what I can tell, Missouri is one of the worst states for the increases. Plenty of tornados and hailstorms causing roof damage. The bad thing is, they went up 30% and changed also changed my roof coverage (disclosure)......went up on the deductible ($1000). Unfortunately, they seem to be in line with others (expense).

If they continue, guess we need to do the math and assess the risks. The mortgage company is removed from the situation, it would be our choice.

you're right, I have read they are even using drones to fly over homes and canceling high risk customers, as well as asking them to install a device on your car or using phone apps to monitor your driving habits. As you would probably already know, they would offer a discount if you would use them. They said they couldn't use it against you. I thought it was BS to start with, a double-edged.....told wifey no.

Now I see where they are canceling people, they consider a risk thru their monitoring.

Read about a couple in Florida yesterday where their homeowners jumped around 40% or more, they decided to drop their coverage. They have saved $100,000 over a 13-year period with no incidents......risky, but something to consider.

From what I can tell, Missouri is one of the worst states for the increases. Plenty of tornados and hailstorms causing roof damage. The bad thing is, they went up 30% and changed also changed my roof coverage (disclosure)......went up on the deductible ($1000). Unfortunately, they seem to be in line with others (expense).

If they continue, guess we need to do the math and assess the risks. The mortgage company is removed from the situation, it would be our choice.
Some of those apps can’t and won’t be used against you. But I have seen a few companies that tell you it will. They have to let you know if it is going to be used against you. I understand you hesitance to dive into that. I am just curious what things will look like when it cycles back around again. Will there be any giveback. Homes have a good chance to change for the better over the next ten years. 30 year new shingle is 100 mph wind resistant and hail resistant. The more roofs this becomes common on with metal roofs, it should have a nice effect on the shared rate. In theory.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
Some of those apps can’t and won’t be used against you. But I have seen a few companies that tell you it will. They have to let you know if it is going to be used against you. I understand you hesitance to dive into that. I am just curious what things will look like when it cycles back around again. Will there be any giveback. Homes have a good chance to change for the better over the next ten years. 30 year new shingle is 100 mph wind resistant and hail resistant. The more roofs this becomes common on with metal roofs, it should have a nice effect on the shared rate. In theory.
Yep......at some point, it would have to cycle back around. Just guessing here, but there will be some insurance companies going out of business before it does.

Guessing the good companies will remain in business & become stronger (competitive, financially strong etc.) ...but I certainly get what they are fighting in today's world.

Yep......at some point, it would have to cycle back around. Just guessing here, but there will be some insurance companies going out of business before it does.

Guessing the good companies will remain in business & become stronger (competitive, financially strong etc.) ...but I certainly get what they are fighting in today's world.
I am in the industry but I hate defending it. Because it isn’t a pure industry at all. Just what I do for a living so it is what it is. You just do the best you can for your client right now and hope changes are on the horizon.

I am in the industry but I hate defending it. Because it isn’t a pure industry at all. Just what I do for a living so it is what it is. You just do the best you can for your client right now and hope changes are on the horizon.
It's like any other business, but the bottom line is.... if you are not competitive, you won't be operating long. For now, I will just blame Uncle Joe, it makes me feel a little better.

Eastman - You're lucky if you only have a $1,000 deductible for the roof. In April our deductible went to 2% of insured value which give us little actual coverage (Florida). In addition to all the increases we've had in recent years coverage has been reduced (hurricane and sinkhole coverage). At least we've been fortunate to have a good company and still have coverage. That's been a problem for many people.

I've always believed that you only need coverage for something you can't afford to pay. I know we couldn't afford to not have coverage on our house, but reports are that people are going without coverage. Car insurance rates have gone up a lot too and estimates are that 25% of drivers don't have insurance coverage. It's certainly required, but it's not unusual for people to buy coverage to renew their registration and then cancel it.

It's like any other business, but the bottom line is.... if you are not competitive, you won't be operating long. For now, I will just blame Uncle Joe, it makes me feel a little better.
My response to you above was not political at all, but since we're in the Chat, I'll say that it's hard to blame Uncle Joe for Florida's insurance problems and leave it at that.

Eastman - You're lucky if you only have a $1,000 deductible for the roof. In April our deductible went to 2% of insured value which give us little actual coverage (Florida). In addition to all the increases we've had in recent years coverage has been reduced (hurricane and sinkhole coverage). At least we've been fortunate to have a good company and still have coverage. That's been a problem for many people.

I've always believed that you only need coverage for something you can't afford to pay. I know we couldn't afford to not have coverage on our house, but reports are that people are going without coverage. Car insurance rates have gone up a lot too and estimates are that 25% of drivers don't have insurance coverage. It's certainly required, but it's not unusual for people to buy coverage to renew their registration and then cancel it.
So, a $15,000 roof you would have a $300 deductible (2%)?

Yep, Florida has been hit hard.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
So, a $15,000 roof you would have a $300 deductible (2%)?

Yep, Florida has been hit hard.
No, 2% of insured value. I haven't seen a policy that lists separate insured value. Your policy should show one insured value which is the total coverage. In Florida we now have deductibles for Hurricane, Sinkhole and Roof coverage.

No, 2% of insured value. I haven't seen a policy that lists separate insured value. Your policy should show one insured value which is the total coverage. In Florida we now have deductibles for Hurricane, Sinkhole and Roof coverage.
May be wrong, but I believe the "insurable value" is the depreciated value of your roof. They depreciate it over a 25- or 30-year period....or at least mine does. I believe what they are insuring is the depreciated value.

IE: A $15,000 roof that is 15 years old X 50% depreciated value ='s $7500. $7500 X 2% = $150 deductible.

Or a brand-new roof at $15,000 X 2% would be a $300 deductible (not aged).

Not an expert on this, but pretty sure @zingerdawg would know better than I would.

May be wrong, but I believe the "insurable value" is the depreciated value of your roof. They depreciate it over a 25- or 30-year period....or at least mine does. I believe what they are insuring is the depreciated value.

IE: A $15,000 roof that is 15 years old X 50% depreciated value ='s $7500. $7500 X 2% = $150 deductible.

Not an expert on this, but pretty sure @zingerdawg would know better than I would.
Have not seen that in Florida. We have replacement cost otherwise you don't really have coverage.

Roofs don't last that long in Florida. Some insurance companies won't even insure you if your roof is around 12 years old. In April 2023 our premium went up over 60% because our roof was 11 years old. We got it replaced early this year and it went back down. Our 2024 increase was only about 15%.

Have not seen that in Florida. We have replacement cost otherwise you don't really have coverage.

Roofs don't last that long in Florida. Some insurance companies won't even insure you if your roof is around 12 years old. In April 2023 our premium went up over 60% because our roof was 11 years old. We got it replaced early this year and it went back down. Our 2024 increase was only about 15%.
Pretty sure all insurance companies use the depreciation method for roofs. Some call it "ACV", or actual cash value. Guessing your "insurable value" means the same thing. Again, Zinger would probably know for sure since he is in the industry.

Point is, if I am getting a 2% deductible like you, for the value of my roof that you mentioned above. I would rather have that situation, as a $15,000 roof would be a $300 deductible. You are certainly getting a better deal than my current situation at a $1000. If I understanding you this correctly

No doubt though, Florida has been hit hard.

Last edited:
Pretty sure all insurance companies use the depreciation method for roofs. Some call it "ACV", or actual cash value. Guessing your "insurable value" means the same thing. Again, Zinger would probably know for sure since he is in the industry.

Point is, if I am getting a 2% deductible like you, for the value of my roof that you mentioned above. I would rather have that situation. You are certainly getting a better deal than my current situation at a $1000.

No doubt though, Florida has been hit hard.
Think he’s saying if your home is insured for $500,000, deductible is $10,000

Reactions: celticdawg
Think he’s saying if your home is insured for $500,000, deductible is $10,000
maybe, but would hate to think I just spent $10,000 on a brand-new roof...it gets blown off the first year and I would have to pay for the entire amount again. There would be no coverage on it.

Guess the details are in the policy.

maybe, but would hate to think I just spent $10,000 on a brand-new roof...it gets blown off the first year and I would have to pay for the entire amount again. There would be no coverage on it.

Are you finally waking up to how it is in Florida?

Are you finally waking up to how it is in Florida?
So, you’re telling me if you had a $500, 000 home, just paid for a new roof yesterday, paid 10K for it and it was blown off the next day…..your ahat out luck, you have to pay full cost to replace it??

If so, you have no coverage.

You would be paying the first $10,000 for the roof, so yes in regard to the roof, but you still have other coverage on your house, so that's not reason to not have insurance.

BTW, our deductible in April 2023 was $2,500. The insurance company had to replace the roof at the beginning of this year for damage from a hailstorm in May, 2022 so it only cost us $2,500. Now, we would be paying for almost all the cost.

Reactions: Eastmandawg

Also a lot of shady roofing folks and homeowners screwed the insurance companies for a long time.

Reactions: zingerdawg

Florida is no fault and their home coverage is just hilariously complicated. House is insured for 500000. 2 percent deductible would be 10000. So if your roof is 15000. There isn’t much left over to cover it. What Celtic is saying I believe. Wind and hail deductibles in ga have gone up for everyone nearly.

Also a lot of shady roofing folks and homeowners screwed the insurance companies for a long time.
Was thinking the same, in that example you/we just gave…..it probably gives them incentive to go beyond 10K on a roof.

Homeowner already out 10K, ask for more…..the insurance company will pay. I know there will be an adjuster coming if so, but probably worth that risk. All they can do is to say no, nothing to lose.

We have or at least use to get these calls all the time from roof companies with the hailstorms that no one seems to remember.

Seems like they are all scammers….

I have a couple of good roofers I trust. They are worth their weight in gold. I don’t even ask for lunch. Dinner. Anything. Just told him to keep helping my clients. I have referred one of them 25 roofs over three years. Lord knows how many repairs. It is like anything. Long time roofers in business are generally legit. The ones knocking on your doors. You don’t want them most times.

Florida is no fault and their home coverage is just hilariously complicated. House is insured for 500000. 2 percent deductible would be 10000. So if your roof is 15000. There isn’t much left over to cover it. What Celtic is saying I believe. Wind and hail deductibles in ga have gone up for everyone nearly.
Yep, the devil is in the details (policy)…..crazy. Probably different from state to state, the higher risk ones that is.

Guess they gotta eat too, thanks.

You would be paying the first $10,000 for the roof, so yes in regard to the roof, but you still have other coverage on your house, so that's not reason to not have insurance.

BTW, our deductible in April 2023 was $2,500. The insurance company had to replace the roof at the beginning of this year for damage from a hailstorm in May, 2022 so it only cost us $2,500. Now, we would be paying for almost all the cost.
Makes sense, apparently our coverage is different.

Reactions: celticdawg
I have a couple of good roofers I trust. They are worth their weight in gold. I don’t even ask for lunch. Dinner. Anything. Just told him to keep helping my clients. I have referred one of them 25 roofs over three years. Lord knows how many repairs. It is like anything. Long time roofers in business are generally legit. The ones knocking on your doors. You don’t want them most times.
Especially after hurricanes. Also those uninsured people offering a cheap price to cut down trees, etc. We got them all in Florida.

Our insurance company has a good reputation for paying claims and we actually had a check within a week. But there was a maximum amount they were paying per certain area. There was actually more to our claim and the owner of the roofing company who we had previously met six months earlier was a big help because he had been a claims adjuster and knew how to deal with them. They did a great job and were very easy to work with. In fact, they are now going to do some repairs on the house as they are expanding their services.

My response to you above was not political at all, but since we're in the Chat, I'll say that it's hard to blame Uncle Joe for Florida's insurance problems and leave it at that.
Agree, I remember when Allstate would have gone under without a billion dollar bailout from Sears. That was Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Allstate violated what I learned at UGA Insurance 101 class. You don't insure too many houses in the same area.
There are places that God created but are not created for people to live in. Florida hurricanes and California fires are telling people to leave.
BUT don't come to North Georgia. we're full.

We have been pricing every year and we’ve changed twice in the last three years and that has helped. Builders insurance has gone up much more than residential. It is now a substantial part of our budgets and we have security requirements implemented by the insurance companies that can add over $500,000 to the construction budget.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT