ADVERTISEMENT

Hottest day you have….

Eastmandawg

Circle of Honor
May 29, 2001
every experienced and where??

For me, probably summer football camp (HS) one day in Eastman, GA. It got up to 112 degrees that day. We were in 1/2 pads (helmet/shoulder pads & shorts).

It was around 1:00 or 2:00 pm. Back then, you had some hard core coaches that only allowed 2 water breaks.

It was a treat whenever we got Gatorade. Nonetheless, they would make you earn the Gatorade/water breaks….the practices had to be good ones, pushed you to the max.

Had a few wilt and couldn’t go any longer that particular time, one passed out but we kept on going.

The heat index had to be at least 120 or more, the sun was intense as hayul. Have no clue what the field temperature was, so you needed to factor that in also.

Lucky no one “got died”.

Nothing easy, but 2 weeks with your buddies and being fed 3 times a day were special. We all had sleeping bags or cots & slept on the gym floor….good times.

Times you never forget and brothers forever.

I know Kirby is putting them thru HAYUL now, but hard to imagine it any tougher than that. But on the other hand, players are much bigger now.

The second hottest day was when I was in Scottsdale Arizona for 2 weeks, meetings and to unwind. Probably the hottest day (temperature wise) was a 119 or 120 degrees.

Played 18 that particular day.

Pretty sure it never went below 105 degrees for two weeks I was there…but the heat felt a hayul of a lot more pleasurable than the south GA heat (humidity). So it wasn’t that bad, but still hot.

Heat index is already up to 95 degrees here in Saint Louis, still in the AM.

Anyway, those are my two stories…..what’s your hottest day???

For me, probably summer football camp (HS) one day in Eastman, GA. It got up to 112 degrees that day. We were in 1/2 pads (helmet/shoulder pads & shorts).

It was around 1:00 or 2:00 pm. Back then, you had some hard core coaches that only allowed 2 water breaks.

It was a treat whenever we got Gatorade. Nonetheless, they would make you earn the Gatorade/water breaks….the practices had to be good ones, pushed you to the max.

Had a few wilt and couldn’t go any longer that particular time, one passed out but we kept on going.

The heat index had to be at least 120 or more, the sun was intense as hayul. Have no clue what the field temperature was, so you needed to factor that in also.

Lucky no one “got died”.

Nothing easy, but 2 weeks with your buddies and being fed 3 times a day were special. We all had sleeping bags or cots & slept on the gym floor….good times.

I know Kirby is putting them thru HAYUL now, but hard to imagine it any tougher than that. But on the other hand, players are much bigger now.

The second hottest day was when I was in Scottsdale Arizona for 2 weeks, meetings and to unwind. Probably the hottest day (temperature wise) was a 119 or 120 degrees.

Pretty sure it never went below 105 degrees for two weeks I was there…but the heat felt a hayul of a lot more pleasurable than the south GA heat (humidity). So it wasn’t that bad, but still hot.

Horseshoe Bend Arizona in July a few years back. Had to walk 1.5 miles from the parking lot and it had to be 110+. I’ve always heard that it’s a different kind of heat because of the low humidity but 110+ is hot no matter.

2008 Indy 500. Actual temp was 91 but the track was 120+. One degree shy of breaking the all-time record. It was god awful. Hottest and most miserable ive ever been. Sun burned to hell. People were passing out left and right. Over 200 people treated for heat related illnesses. 30+ went to the hospital for respiratory failure. People were desperate for water. Passing out in the bathrooms trying to drink from the sinks. I used to go every single year but im done with that now lol

2008 Indy 500. Actual temp was 91 but the track was 120+. One degree shy of breaking the all-time record. It was god awful. Hottest and most miserable ive ever been. Sun burned to hell. People were passing out left and right. Over 200 people treated for heat related illnesses. 30+ went to the hospital for respiratory failure. People were desperate for water. Passing out in the bathrooms trying to drink from the sinks. I used to go every single year but im done with that now lol
Dayum…..not even a race fan, but have been to Charlotte, Talladega & Martinsville (guest). Never seen or heard of anything like that.

Some don’t understand how hot it can get in the Midwest, but the summers here (STL) are every bit as hot as in south GA.

Glad you survived and can tell it. The heat can sneak up on you.

Last edited:
Reactions: LumpKingDawg
Horseshoe Bend Arizona in July a few years back. Had to walk 1.5 miles from the parking lot and it had to be 110+. I’ve always heard that it’s a different kind of heat because of the low humidity but 110+ is hot no matter.
Yep, Arizona is a different animal.

Easy, summer of 1970. I played basketball and we would play other HS teams in the summer to keep in shape. We were short handed, maybe 7 or 8 players, only two guards. I was a shooting guard and had to play the point for the entire game, outside, on the blacktop against the best team in the league. Temp was about 94 at 6:30 when we started. It was an away game, in the middle of nowhere with nothing to drink. On the way home, I remember getting the chills, and shivering in the car, and had to spend about the next three or four hours in the shower for various lengths of time to cool off. Turned out that I had heat stroke and could have died. From then on, I was OK in the cold or moderate temperatures, but except for a few minutes I could never tolerate the heat after that.

Since then ive been in places in Abu Dhabi where it was 50C, over 122°F, for a little while

Easy, summer of 1970. I played basketball and we would play other HS teams in the summer to keep in shape. We were short handed, maybe 7 or 8 players, only two guards. I was a shooting guard and had to play the point for the entire game, outside, on the blacktop against the best team in the league. Temp was about 94 at 6:30 when we started. It was an away game, in the middle of nowhere with nothing to drink. On the way home, I remember getting the chills, and shivering in the car, and had to spend about the next three or four hours in the shower for various lengths of time to cool off. Turned out that I had heat stroke and could have died. From then on, I was OK in the cold or moderate temperatures, but except for a few minutes I could never tolerate the heat after that.

Since then ive been in places in Abu Dhabi where it was 50C, over 122°F, for a little while
Good Lord…..the blacktop certainly makes a big difference. It does indeed sound like you got to the dangerous levels. You are very lucky.

Nothing teaches you like experience.

Reactions: anon_q2raz786xy94b
Was on a fire detail in 2003 working out of Bullhead City, Arizona. One afternoon, some idiot shot a bottle rocket across the Colorado River into Arizona from Needles, Ca. The temperature at the time of dispatch was 126.
454271745_10225249946732540_6557116807487018508_n.jpg

Last edited:
Was on a fire detail in 2003 working out of Bullhead City, Arizona. One afternoon, some idiot shot a bottle rocket across the Colorado River into Arizona from Needles, Ca. The temperature at the time of dispatch was 126.
SHAT!!….then you account for the clothing/equipment. You’re a better man than me.

That’s a tough job.

Personal body temp. Statesboro High football camp at Laura S Walker State Park (Near Waycross) August 1977. 3 a day practices were rough on a 15 yr old 142 lb DB facing much better and much more physically mature athletes in the days when hydration was considering weakening.

Outside ambient temp. Camp Virginia Kuwait 2003. 123 degrees.
( Wind/breeze at anything much over 110 feels like hairdryer from 18 inches away)

Reactions: ugaboz

Lucky no one “got died”.

dodge county
one of my roommates from eastman was robert carr
went to middle ga juco

summer of 96 in cochran ga , football camp
coach roland never canceled , had lineman up at 4:30am if he had an idea of canceling due to weather
well that august camp day was really hot, someone said it was 109
that morning it was 89 at 5am it was a rough day
them damn duck walks

Lucky no one “got died”.

UGA at S Carolina 2019. Even in the shade

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT