ADVERTISEMENT

How dumb can a nation get a still survive?

willdup

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2002
An Op/Ed from today's paper.

Opinion by Eugene Robinson
Columnist
Yesterday at 4:34 p.m. EDT

T.S. Eliot wrote that the world ends "not with a bang but a whimper,” but I fear our great nation is careening toward a third manner of demise: descent into lip-blubbering, self-destructive idiocy.

How did we become, in such alarming measure, so dumb? Why is the news dominated by ridiculous controversies that should not be controversial at all? When did so many of our fellow citizens become full-blown nihilists who deny even the concept of objective reality? And how must this look to the rest of the world?

Read the headlines and try not to weep: Our elected representatives in the U.S. Senate, which laughably calls itself “the world’s greatest deliberative body,” agreed Thursday not to wreck our economy and trigger a global recession — at least for a few weeks. Republicans had refused to raise the federal debt ceiling, or even to let Democrats do so quickly by simple majority vote. They relented only after needlessly unsettling an international financial system based on the U.S. dollar.

The frequent games of chicken that Congress plays over the debt ceiling are — to use a term of art I recall from Economics 101 — droolingly stupid. In the end, yes, we always agree to pay our obligations. But the credit rating of the planet’s greatest economic superpower has already been lowered because of this every-few-years ritual, and each time we stage the absurd melodrama, we risk a miscalculation that sends us over the fiscal cliff.

Today’s trench-warfare political tribalism makes that peril greater than ever. An intelligent and reasonable Congress would eliminate the debt ceiling once and for all. Our Congress is neither.

In other news, Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) was speaking to a crowd of Republicans at a country club in his home state Saturday when he tried, gently, to boost South Carolina’s relatively low rate of vaccination against the coronavirus. He began, “If you haven’t had the vaccine, you ought to think about getting it because if you’re my age — ”

“No!” yelled many in the crowd.

Graham retreated — “I didn’t tell you to get it; you ought to think about it” — and then defended his own decision to get vaccinated. But still the crowd shouted him down. Seriously, people?

Covid-19 is a highly infectious disease that has killed more than 700,000 Americans over the past 20 months. The Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines all but guarantee that recipients will not die from covid. I have, or had, an acquaintance who refused to get vaccinated, despite pleas from his adult children to protect himself. He got covid-19, and it killed him. Most of the deaths the nation has suffered during the current delta-variant wave of the disease — deaths of the unvaccinated — have been similarly needless and senseless.

Covid-19 is a bipartisan killer. In the tribal-political sense, the safe and effective vaccines are a bipartisan miracle, developed under the Republican Trump administration and largely distributed under the Democratic Biden administration. People in most of the rest of the world realize, however, that vaccination is not political at all; it is a matter of life and death, and also a matter of how soon — if ever — we get to resume our normal lives.

Why would people not protect their own health and save their own lives? How is this anything but just plain stupid?
We are having other fights that are, unlike vaccination, partisan and political — but equally divorced from demonstrable fact.

Conservatives in state legislatures across the country are pushing legislation to halt the teaching of “critical race theory” in public schools. I put the term in quotes because genuine critical race theory, a dry and esoteric set of ideas debated in obscure academic journals, is not actually being taught in those schools at all. What’s being taught instead — and squelched — is American history, which happens to include slavery, Jim Crow repression and structural racism.

I get it. The GOP has become the party of White racial grievance, and this battle against an imaginary enemy stirs the base. But the whole charade involves Republican officials — many of them educated at the nation’s top schools — betting that their constituents are too dumb to know they’re being lied to. So far, the bet is paying off.

And then, of course, there’s the whole “stolen election” farce, which led to the tragedy of Jan. 6. Every recount, every court case, every verifiable fact proves that Joe Biden fairly defeated Donald Trump. Yet a sizeable portion of the American electorate either can’t do basic arithmetic or doesn’t believe that one plus one always equals two.

How dumb can a nation get and still survive? Idiotically, we seem determined to find out.

Columnist

T.S. Eliot wrote that the world ends "not with a bang but a whimper,” but I fear our great nation is careening toward a third manner of demise: descent into lip-blubbering, self-destructive idiocy.

How did we become, in such alarming measure, so dumb? Why is the news dominated by ridiculous controversies that should not be controversial at all? When did so many of our fellow citizens become full-blown nihilists who deny even the concept of objective reality? And how must this look to the rest of the world?

Read the headlines and try not to weep: Our elected representatives in the U.S. Senate, which laughably calls itself “the world’s greatest deliberative body,” agreed Thursday not to wreck our economy and trigger a global recession — at least for a few weeks. Republicans had refused to raise the federal debt ceiling, or even to let Democrats do so quickly by simple majority vote. They relented only after needlessly unsettling an international financial system based on the U.S. dollar.

The frequent games of chicken that Congress plays over the debt ceiling are — to use a term of art I recall from Economics 101 — droolingly stupid. In the end, yes, we always agree to pay our obligations. But the credit rating of the planet’s greatest economic superpower has already been lowered because of this every-few-years ritual, and each time we stage the absurd melodrama, we risk a miscalculation that sends us over the fiscal cliff.

Today’s trench-warfare political tribalism makes that peril greater than ever. An intelligent and reasonable Congress would eliminate the debt ceiling once and for all. Our Congress is neither.

In other news, Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) was speaking to a crowd of Republicans at a country club in his home state Saturday when he tried, gently, to boost South Carolina’s relatively low rate of vaccination against the coronavirus. He began, “If you haven’t had the vaccine, you ought to think about getting it because if you’re my age — ”

Graham retreated — “I didn’t tell you to get it; you ought to think about it” — and then defended his own decision to get vaccinated. But still the crowd shouted him down. Seriously, people?

Covid-19 is a highly infectious disease that has killed more than 700,000 Americans over the past 20 months. The Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines all but guarantee that recipients will not die from covid. I have, or had, an acquaintance who refused to get vaccinated, despite pleas from his adult children to protect himself. He got covid-19, and it killed him. Most of the deaths the nation has suffered during the current delta-variant wave of the disease — deaths of the unvaccinated — have been similarly needless and senseless.

Covid-19 is a bipartisan killer. In the tribal-political sense, the safe and effective vaccines are a bipartisan miracle, developed under the Republican Trump administration and largely distributed under the Democratic Biden administration. People in most of the rest of the world realize, however, that vaccination is not political at all; it is a matter of life and death, and also a matter of how soon — if ever — we get to resume our normal lives.

Why would people not protect their own health and save their own lives? How is this anything but just plain stupid?
We are having other fights that are, unlike vaccination, partisan and political — but equally divorced from demonstrable fact.

Conservatives in state legislatures across the country are pushing legislation to halt the teaching of “critical race theory” in public schools. I put the term in quotes because genuine critical race theory, a dry and esoteric set of ideas debated in obscure academic journals, is not actually being taught in those schools at all. What’s being taught instead — and squelched — is American history, which happens to include slavery, Jim Crow repression and structural racism.

I get it. The GOP has become the party of White racial grievance, and this battle against an imaginary enemy stirs the base. But the whole charade involves Republican officials — many of them educated at the nation’s top schools — betting that their constituents are too dumb to know they’re being lied to. So far, the bet is paying off.

And then, of course, there’s the whole “stolen election” farce, which led to the tragedy of Jan. 6. Every recount, every court case, every verifiable fact proves that Joe Biden fairly defeated Donald Trump. Yet a sizeable portion of the American electorate either can’t do basic arithmetic or doesn’t believe that one plus one always equals two.

How dumb can a nation get and still survive? Idiotically, we seem determined to find out.
Shut up, Eugene and get off your high horse. What tripe. Ask Barack and Biden why they have voted against the debt ceiling before. Pubs just gave Dems 2 months to ruin the country on their own. We are going to spend over 9 trillion this year. And your party can own most of it. Republicans have overspent plenty themselves. We are a welfare states that is loading in millions of dependents so we can spend more fake money. Be happy.

Liberals and dems are showing us everyday just how dumb we can get. The only question left is if we can survive as a nation. If we can make it to 2022 and wrest control of Congress we may survive, if not, we are toast.

You are right , the libs seem to be OK with open borders , higher taxes , higher gas prices , leaving our folks overseas , higher food prices ,screwing our allies , and paying folks not to work !! And the dumbest thing , is that they try to blame it on President Trump ... lying losers in the White House !!!

So the Dems wanting to spend 3.5 trillion on top of the enormous debt the geniuses in DC have already amassed are the smart ones? The guy is partially right, we are careening towards an idiocracy but both parties have been playing their idiots to put us into a situation where we have a washed up, mentally incompetent grifter as POTUS, a VP nobody in either party supports or trusts and a parliament of whores . But hey, it's not my tribe that is pushing a new world order, it's the other guy.

BTW, I went to public school in the 60s and 70s in the south. We were taught about Jim Crow, slavery, repression and unequal treatment under the law. As a matter of fact, it was fairly prominent in the cirriculum. We were also taught the definition of words and could actually tell the difference in racism, bigotry and prejudice.

Last edited:

Columnist

This is the kind of article you get when you have to write something every two days, a regurgitation of dem talking points to get your readers all fired up with little substance, the fact that he is still writing that someone else needs to get vaccinated for him to return to his normal life is absurd and anyone that still believes that is an idiot

Shut up, Eugene and get off your high horse. What tripe. Ask Barack and Biden why they have voted against the debt ceiling before. Pubs just gave Dems 2 months to ruin the country on their own. We are going to spend over 9 trillion this year. And your party can own most of it. Republicans have overspent plenty themselves. We are a welfare states that is loading in millions of dependents so we can spend more fake money. Be happy.
Agree on both sides spending like drunken sailors, but raising the debt ceiling this time is to cover spending from the previous administration.

So the Dems wanting to spend 3.5 trillion on top of the enormous debt the geniuses in DC have already amassed are the smart ones? The guy is partially right, we are careening towards an idiocracy but both parties have been playing their idiots to put us into a situation where we have a washed up, mentally incompetent grifter as POTUS and a VP nobody in either party supports or trusts as a VP and a parliament of whores . But hey, it's not my tribe that is pushing a new world order, it's the other guy.

BTW, I went to public school in the 60s and 70s in the south. We were taught about Jim Crow, slavery, repression and unequal treatment under the law. As a matter of fact, it was fairly prominent in the cirriculum. We were also taught the definition of words and could actually tell the difference in racism, bigotry and prejudice.
Thank you, I am a little (not much) younger and I sat by black children as we learned all the stuff you talked about and we were definitely not taught that slavery and Jim Crow was fine. I imagine we were probably much more educated about it than children today. Nobody pointed fingers at each other in the classroom as children inherently knew that none of us sitting there bore any responsibility for any of it.

Columnist

I'm sure he'll change his opinion when he gets to high school.

Agree on both sides spending like drunken sailors, but raising the debt ceiling this time is to cover spending from the previous administration.
Allowing a citizen to keep more of their money is not "spending".

Besides, the WH has apparently found 3.5 trillion in free money...why do we even have to raise the debt ceiling?

Monopoly-money-in-hand-1.jpg

Allowing a citizen to keep more of their money is not "spending".

Besides, the WH has apparently found 3.5 trillion in free money...why do we even have to raise the debt ceiling?
I pay for what we have already spent.....but you know that.

Lmao. Is this new? No. While the opinion is targeted against Rs, we just had a political party along with factions within federal intelligence repeatedly lying about a sitting a president whilst using state media pushing propaganda to bolster public opinion against him. Jesus H...and just now are we teetering on dumb? Gtfo

Look, everyone knows/knew the debt ceiling would be raised. Heck, I don't think anyone in either party believes we can get out of the mess our 50 yr drift towards an idiocracy has created without intelligently managing credit until we can come into balance. However, what this admin is attempting to do with the help of a crazed congress and compliant media isn't about wisely budgeting and beginning to clean up a train wreck. This is about pouring the coals to any and every train they can find to head straight into the train wreck in order to transform America. Don't believe it, just look at some of the things tucked away in the spending bills.

This debt ceiling debate is the same as every debt ceiling debate and is about pols protecting and expanding their turf and has nothing to do with wisely managing the taxpayer's treasure. We got rid of Trump and now we're back to normal where both sides engage in Kabuki theater while blaming everyone but themselves for the disaster on the horizon.

Last edited:
Look, everyone knows/knew the debt ceiling would be raised. Heck, I don't think anyone in either party believes we can get out of the mess our 50 yr drift towards an idiocracy has created without intelligently managing credit until we can come into balance. However, what this admin is attempting to do with the help of a crazed congress and compliant media isn't about wisely budgeting and beginning to clean up a train wreck. This is about pouring the coals to any and every train they can find to head straight into the train wreck in order to transform America. Don't believe it, just look at some of the things tucked away in the spending bills.

This debt ceiling debate is the same as every debt ceiling debate and is about pols protecting and expanding their turf and has nothing to do with wisely managing the taxpayer's treasure. We got rid of Trump and now we're back to normal where both sides engage in Kabuki theater while blaming everyone but themselves for the disaster on the horizon.
100% Agree! It's always easy to spend other peoples money!

Columnist

wild, we are sure going to try and find out.

My biggest concern is giving the store away. We are becoming a welfare state by politicians using the rich vs poor mantra. Of course, when that happens, the rich get richer and the citizens get screwed.

Good day to you my friend.

Columnist

What’s the survival rate for people w/o co-morbidities for COVID? 1/6 was a bunch of FBI agents. Hardly an insurrection. Folks on the left compare it to 9/11! Now that’s stupid!

What spending are you referring to? Taking our money out of the climate accord or Iran nuclear deal?

Liberals and dems are showing us everyday just how dumb we can get. The only question left is if we can survive as a nation. If we can make it to 2022 and wrest control of Congress we may survive, if not, we are toast.
BOOM!!!

Reactions: Hoffman_rg
You are right , the libs seem to be OK with open borders , higher taxes , higher gas prices , leaving our folks overseas , higher food prices ,screwing our allies , and paying folks not to work !! And the dumbest thing , is that they try to blame it on President Trump ... lying losers in the White House !!!
Apparently Willdup hasnt seen the latest polls, he's lost in fairlyland...Its kind of obvious who the Nation sees as DUMB right now...LMAO

38 percent approval rate. They are robbing everyone blind at the moment. Then I love the new tax break ad about getting breaks if you make less than 400000. It is complete horse ish. They are working hard to wipe out the middle class every day. We are killing as many people with covid before the vaccine. When is everyone going to wake up. It is like a game to the left apparently. Let’s give two choices to make on each decision. One will help the country. The other will not. This crew is literally batting 0.00. I want to say they have done a few good things. I really am a silver lining guy. Not a freaking thing have they done right. Not one!!!!! I keep hoping this is as bad as it can get. These mfers love that hold my beer moment. They keep topping idiotic decision after another. The madness needs to stop. Soon

Last edited:
38 percent approval rate. They are robbing everyone blind at the moment. Then I love the tax break ad about getting breaks if you make less than 400000. It is complete horse ish. We are killing as many people with covid with a vaccine. When is everyone going to wake up. It is like a game to the left apparently. Let’s give two choices to make on each decision. One will help the country. The other will not. This crew is literally batting 0.00. I want to say they have done a few good things. I really am a silver lining guy. Not a freaking thing have they done right. Not one!!!!!
But no wait....the people who don't want to take a vaccine and simply want to be left alone are the ones threatening the survival of our republic. LOL! Such hackery in this garbage opinion piece

But no wait....the people who don't want to take a vaccine and simply want to be left alone are the ones threatening the survival of our republic. LOL! Such hackery in this garbage opinion piece
I am as pro vaccine as they come. There is a ton of bs out there too. It is like a slight of hand trick. Keep your eyes over here. Don’t look at what we are actually doing. They are hanging onto covid like a rabbid dog. It is literally all the left have. There is nothing else to point to. It is time to admit what the left has morphed into is embarrassing and should never be a feasible choice for someone with half a brain ever again.

I think you are right. He isn’t an idiot. Even he has to wonder wtf at the moment. I am sure it is comparable to being in the milli vanilli fan club when you heard the news.
I remember watching him on C-Span 20 yrs ago. He was a “moderate”, actually made sense. Then the big MSM plantation bought Eugene and here he is saying what he is told to say. Enjoy the media blood money, ‘Gene.

I am as pro vaccine as they come. There is a ton of bs out there too. It is like a slight of hand trick. Keep your eyes over here. Don’t look at what we are actually doing. They are hanging onto covid like a rabbid dog. It is literally all the left have. There is nothing else to point to. It is time to admit what the left has morphed into is embarrassing and should never be a feasible choice for someone with half a brain ever again.
They will have a war soon. That’s what they really wanted anyway.

Columnist

Ironic

Well as long as fake republicans keep voting other fake republicans into office and keep them in . We will keep going around in circles. Having and keeping Governors like Brain Mitch Kemp in office .

Reactions: theboyracer45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT