ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg HVAC Experts (Long)

ugafriesen

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Aug 22, 2008
Cashing in my bi-annual chip seeking advice on a current issue with a domestic appliance (AC unit). Apologies for the long summary but I believe context is important. I returned from vacation on Saturday night and noticed my temperature was about 3 -4 degrees higher than the thermometer setting and the air was similar in temp as if I was just running the fan. I decided to check the filter first to see if there were air flow issues. My hunch was correct in that the filter had somehow been pushed into the unit and impeded air flow. I replaced and ran the fan for about 6 hours then restarted the unit. Magic, the unit was back to pushing cold air. I had a technician come out this morning to service the AC and check Freon levels. Its an older unit so I assumed topping off Freon was worth it, however the technician said the coil needed replacing and possibly the exterior AC unit. He at first recommended ONLY replacing the coil and probably didn't need to replace the unit, but then came back later saying if I only replaced the coil, it could cause issues with the existing unit and that replacement would be inevitable. This all sounds highly suspect especially considering I am getting cold air throughout the home and his initial advice was to only replace the coil.

This brings me to my question: should I a) replace the coil and see how the AC unit performs, b) replace the coil and unit or c) tell them to fly a kite and hope I can get another 2-3 years on the existing unit now that its been topped off with freon.

Thank you for the help and coming to my TedTalk!

Last edited:
This is premium content. Please subscribe to view.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News