ADVERTISEMENT

I jinxed us...

UGAtater

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2004
I started a post yesterday, but then deleted it. It wasn't negative, but I thought that the timing was bad since we had a big game yesterday. It went like this...

I really look forward to seeing our next two groups of recruits on the court. I'm certainly no expert, but from what I can tell, Jackson, Wilredge, Harris, and Crump can really score. How long has it been since we've had several guys who can flat out score it?

I love our current team- they play balanced team ball and really work hard. Coming down the stretch, they have been methodical in turning over the offense and getting good looks and/or getting to the foul line. I laugh every time someone posts that we've won another "ugly" game. That is EXACTLY what this team wants... Defense. Foul shots. Slow pace. Jump balls. Rebounds on both ends of the court...

However, all year long, we've had droughts without points. The most recent one was the 9+ minute stretch against So Car without a FG. Then, yesterday proved to be a 40 min stretch without being able to score. We just don't have a lot of guys to turn to when it's not going well. It's maddening to have to wait for JJ to hit a big 35 footer or count on a loose ball putback. Without all of our best guys on the floor at the same time, it becomes really difficult. Mann can certainly drive and draw contact. JJ is JJ, but without Gaines out there or a healthy Parker, they can put someone rangy on him and cover him up. Nemi has had some great nights, but simply doesn't create his own shot. Without Nemi playing well, it becomes tougher for Marcus. Yante- well, I think we see his talent. Unfortunately, it's not quite there consistently... yet...

At any rate, add a couple of scorers and JJ can drive and dish. He will also have more open looks if they are forced to move better defenders to other offensive threats. Yante will have more room in the paint. That's only going to get more difficult for opponents to handle. Cam thrives when defensive guys are moving to help- he finds those creases and seams as well as anyone. Gaines has been sick and/or hurt off and on all year, but put some more scorers on the floor and he has more opportunity to slash.

I really hope this team makes the tournament. They deserve it. If healthy, I think that we can win a game or two in the tournament. Either way, this year is ending soon and next year will be all that matters. We will be smaller and less experienced. It's going to be interested to see how the complexion of our team changes. Again, based on what I see, I look forward to the changes. I think that it's got the possibility to be interesting...

This is premium content. Please subscribe to view.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News