ADVERTISEMENT

I know trump is maga but when he gonna make the dow great again?

Well the Dow fiddling farting around forever is getting old. I’ll give it a year and see how I feel about maga.

Reactions: shonuff253
Europe and China can't win this thing. The US has way more staying power than they do.

Harley execs are wussing out, and they will regret it.

Harley has been trying to outsource for a while which makes some sense in one respect but their brand loyalty in the U.S. is based on being America's motorcycle company. It's a pretty big risk to mess with that dynamic. They are just trying to use tariffs as cover.

As far as a trade war, Trump understands that every trade partner benefits more from access to our market than we get from access to theirs. Fair trade will benefit all but selling millions of German cars in the U.S. while selling only thousands of American cars in Germany is more beneficial to Germany, etc.

This trade war BS is annoying short term but the S&P is still up around 19% since the inauguration and we are in the middle of the longest bull market ever. So it’s hard to complain too much
Yeah, gonna be hard to keep the bull running, but tax reductions, reducing anti-biz regs, and the resultant repatriation of capital sure help. The bull will die; they always do, and the pussy investors will blame it on Trump instead of recognizing it for that which it always is: a buying opportunity. The ones who cry are always the ones who went 100% long on the way up and do not have squat to invest when Alphabet hits 700. Aging bulls require caution, keep some powder dry. Or cry like a liberal when you get caught with your pants down and see 40% of your savings evaporate.

Reactions: benchwarmerdawg
Yeah, gonna be hard to keep the bull running, but tax reductions, reducing anti-biz regs, and the resultant repatriation of capital sure help. The bull will die; they always do, and the pussy investors will blame it on Trump instead of recognizing it for that which it always is: a buying opportunity. The ones who cry are always the ones who went 100% long on the way up and do not have squat to invest when Alphabet hits 700. Aging bulls require caution, keep some powder dry. Or cry like a liberal when you get caught with your pants down and see 40% of your savings evaporate.
It’s a double edged sword for me. I’m in my 30s so I’m all for stocks going on sale but my parents are in their 70s so I’d rather they not hit a dip since they’ve recently retired.

Anyway, it’s folly to give too much credit or blame to any POTUS for the stock market which has cycles you can almost set your watch to. But, yes, a bear market is coming in the next year or two I would assume. The only questions are how soon, how long, and how bad. Really very little this President (or any other) can do about it

It’s a double edged sword for me. I’m in my 30s so I’m all for stocks going on sale but my parents are in their 70s so I’d rather they not hit a dip since they’ve recently retired.

Anyway, it’s folly to give too much credit or blame to any POTUS for the stock market which has cycles you can almost set your watch to. But, yes, a bear market is coming in the next year or two I would assume. The only questions are how soon, how long, and how bad. Really very little this President (or any other) can do about it
Exactly. In your 30s you can recover from any crash, no matter how bad. But the way you make the real money is buying on the way down, not whining about the President’s policies. You’re right, cycles matter a lot, but so do pro-biz policies. At some point this market will shit the bed despite anything the government does. It takes a lot of courage to buy when things look darkest, and it takes a lot or wimpiness to blame it on government. If I were in my 30s, i’d stay mostly long and simply ignore it. Buy lightly on dips, heavily on crashes.

Exactly. In your 30s you can recover from any crash, no matter how bad. But the way you make the real money is buying on the way down, not whining about the President’s policies. You’re right, cycles matter a lot, but so do pro-biz policies. At some point this market will shit the bed despite anything the government does. It takes a lot of courage to buy when things look darkest, and it takes a lot or wimpiness to blame it on government. If I were in my 30s, i’d stay mostly long and simply ignore it. Buy lightly on dips, heavily on crashes.
Oh I just keep buying and really ignore the day to day. It’s the only way to be this far out from needing the money

I know trump is maga but when he gonna make the dow great again?
I read the other day that the S&P's 2800+/-, is made up of about 1000 points from the Fed. Now that the Fed has stopped QE, and is raising interests rates, and they artificially prevented a 7 year business cycle correction in 2015, you can expect the Dow to correct somewhere between 5000 and 9000 points. Hold on at your own risk, or bail out soon.

disclaimer:
My degree, from Terry College of Business (Finance/Security Analysis), was from '69, when stocks were valued by dividends, and growth/revenue potential. So I am from a different age and have no f...ing idea on why the markets have climbed this high, this fast, other than from "outside" manipulation. I got out in 2009, so the joke is on me. But It is crazy, and could be dangerous, if you don't have an inside to when the plug will be pulled.

I read the other day that the S&P's 2800+/-, is made up of about 1000 points from the Fed. Now that the Fed has stopped QE, and is raising interests rates, and they artificially prevented a 7 year business cycle correction in 2015, you can expect the Dow to correct somewhere between 5000 and 9000 points. Hold on at your own risk, or bail out soon.

disclaimer:
My degree, from Terry College of Business (Finance/Security Analysis), was from '69, when stocks were valued by dividends, and growth/revenue potential. So I am from a different age and have no f...ing idea on why the markets have climbed this high, this fast, other than from "outside" manipulation. I got out in 2009, so the joke is on me. But It is crazy, and could be dangerous, if you don't have an inside to when the plug will be pulled.
My Terry MBA is ancient, too, but the S&P 500 P/E five-year trend line is scary to me. The old maxim “100 minus your age = equity percentage” is probably still a good guideline for those near or in retirement. You and I have been through a bunch of badassed crashes. They will test your mettle.

disclaimer:
Another problem is that you have to make TWO correct decisions: When to get out and when to get back in. Timing the market is really impossible, very few do so successfully. Some get lucky and then write a book bragging about it. Better to diversify and allocate away some risk.

Nothing at all wrong with your 2009 decision. By most measures this market should have already crashed again. For the last 5 years I've been trying to figure out fixed income, to which I never paid attention. And fixed income is tough in a rising rate environment, which is currently a certainty.

Another problem is that you have to make TWO correct decisions: When to get out and when to get back in. Timing the market is really impossible, very few do so successfully. Some get lucky and then write a book bragging about it. Better to diversify and allocate away some risk.

Nothing at all wrong with your 2009 decision. By most measures this market should have already crashed again. For the last 5 years I've been trying to figure out fixed income, to which I never paid attention. And fixed income is tough in a rising rate environment, which is currently a certainty.
My whole retirement plan was blown up after 2009. I had planned to retire in 2014, at 67, pull everything(ira's) out of the markets, and ladder 5% cd's, withdrawing 6%/yr. until I ran out, and then either die, or move to a trailer park.

My whole retirement plan was blown up after 2009. I had planned to retire at 67, pull everything(ira's) out of the markets, and ladder 5% cd's, withdrawing 6%/yr. until I ran out, and then either die, or move to a trailer park.
Man, those crashes are sneaky. I LMAO at young investors who think they can just sell when the market starts to crash. You never know when Dow down 500 is going to turn into Dow down 10,000.

Reactions: donalsonville_dawg
Oh I just keep buying and really ignore the day to day. It’s the only way to be this far out from needing the money
I disagree. If I were your age, I would build cash right now. When the shit hits the fan, even temporarily, cash truly is king and huge gains can be had. Plus, if you're stacking cash in an IRA, you can buy near the bottom and sell at crazy peaks when the 50 day moving average goes straight up from the 200 day. You don't have to worry about holding anything for a year to make your gains long term capital gains.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT