ADVERTISEMENT

I miss the way my grandmother and the Shrimp Boat cut chicken.

JudgeLarryDawg

Circle of Honor
Oct 7, 2002
I am craving some fried chicken, not just any fried chicken but some pulley bones. Pulley bones are created by slicing across the breastbone, instead of through it. The method leaves the pulley, or wishbone, intact. Meat surrounding pulley bones is moister and richer than any other part of the bird: It’s been called the chateaubriand of chicken, and the filet mignon of poultry.

QLcYtN18MsyQIvunVyoYXhm_5P5xLGyH9FJYye5Y4KcNq9NPMeYF0B1iyfVVBlbVbRPKJ8VeYLWJM2DqJyG-np04vsKt7xashbAOR73AaNJ5_XwTfAtTuXZ5baRRnVcyaYmdjkKZV_jcpEipJ6t5H3MxRsNdm7ccN5vF=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

I am craving some fried chicken, not just any fried chicken but some pulley bones. Pulley bones are created by slicing across the breastbone, instead of through it. The method leaves the pulley, or wishbone, intact. Meat surrounding pulley bones is moister and richer than any other part of the bird: It’s been called the chateaubriand of chicken, and the filet mignon of poultry.

QLcYtN18MsyQIvunVyoYXhm_5P5xLGyH9FJYye5Y4KcNq9NPMeYF0B1iyfVVBlbVbRPKJ8VeYLWJM2DqJyG-np04vsKt7xashbAOR73AaNJ5_XwTfAtTuXZ5baRRnVcyaYmdjkKZV_jcpEipJ6t5H3MxRsNdm7ccN5vF=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu
My folks would tell me the Pope’s Nose was the best part of the chicken. I liked it until I figured out it was the flap which kept the chicken’s asshole from getting rained on.
IMG_1244.jpg

Judge, I learned something today thx to you, that the pulley bone is the moist and richest meat of a chicken.....I never knew that.......All my kin folks cut up chicken so that a pulley bone was created, and fried.......I ate a thousand of them as a young boy growing up, primarily because I could get the bone and challenge my dad to a pulley bone breaking contest........As time went by and I learned how to win the pulley bone contest much better, I started challenging my little brother.....

Triple D, that juicy piece of chicken your family called the Pope's Nose, my family called the Preacher's Nose.....I ate them once again as a young boy growing up......That is til I realized what part of the chicken it was...Funny how some things my folks let me learn the hard way.....I remember the things being good, but when I found out the truth, it had the same "can't do it" impact that chitlins do to this day.........We were poor, as my mom fried the neck, backbone, liver and gizzard.....And either me or somebody in my family ate them too, or did without.......
wish-bone-260nw-290228798.jpg

123003577-broken-chicken-wish-bone-isolated-on-white-background-.jpg

My mother still does that. I might put in a request for Sunday dinner....

Shrimp Boat across from Russell Hall on its Push in letter menu/price board always listed:

Luscious Breasts
And
Tasty Thighs

man, that was some good fried chicken.

couple of us, once we were well imbibed would loudly intone our order:

Lucious Breasts and Tasty Thighs - Where would I be w/o my Woman

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT