ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg I was in Nashville last weekend

Terry02

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
May 16, 2005
Holly Springs, GA
My first visit there, awesome town. I went to the Ryman theater Sunday night to see Christone "Kingfish" Ingram. During our stay I ran into a group of older folks from California heading to the Stanford Vandy game. The group said they were looking forward to seeing an SEC environment. I didn't know how to respond to that. I just said ahhh well it's the poorest environment in the SEC. Usually every big school they play packs their stadium with visiting fans. I told him I was a UGA alumni, his wife said their daughter is in school at UGA and that they were heading down to Athens that Monday.

I really enjoyed our stay, we went to the Nashville Parthenon, if you have a chance and have not seen it, go check it out, it's right across the street from Vandy's campus. An exact replica of the Greek Parthenon, inside is a 42 foot statue of Athena. It's worth the $10 admission.

Also went by the famous Studio B at RCA on historic music row. Checked out the new Gibson Garage as well, that place will blow your mind if you're a guitar player at any level.

Downton was mixed feelings. The honky tonk area reminded me of Athens at night after a game but with 3 times more people. Add that with the tackiness of Gatlinburg TN and that's Nashville's downtown bar scene. I mean they have bars named GaFL line, Kid Rocks and other cheesy bubba gump type of establishments. It could be so much more cooler if they really dedicated it to real music for music fans instead of a gimmick to the masses.

Got to go by Earnest Tubbs record shop, that store was established in 1947. One of the cooler places in downtown. I picked up a few records and really soaked up the vibes in that place.

Went to a newer area referred to the Gulch, it use to be meth head ally about 5 years ago, but after big realestate moved in they've turned that area into a nice transient spot next to Vandy's campus. Had brunch at the Pub down there.

Also wend down to the Printer's district, we were going to go in and check out Skulls, it's a jazz club where they have some freaks perform. Had a drink in there after the show at the Ryman on Sunday.

You can't help to notice what a great location the Music City Bowl is in. The Titans play right on the river across from Downtown.

The perfect trip would of been if Kingfish played this Sunday or UGA played Vandy last Saturday. Anyway I'm not heading back up for this weekend.

BTW we were nearly killed on 75 south outside of Dalton GA when an 18 wheeler decided to cut in our lane without any room or little warning. Drive safe if you're heading up there.

After visiting Nashville for the first time, I feel it's everything I wish Atlanta could be but will never be.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.