ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Is Greenville, SC What Athens Should Be?

SegaDawg16

Led Tasso
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2015
I'm currently in Greenville for a work trip, and it struck me how similar the two downtowns feel...but in my opinion (and I'm sure I'll get destroyed for this), downtown Greenville is what Athens should aspire to be. It's maintained a really unique feel with a lot of outdoor greenspace all while growing into a really diverse dining/shopping district as well. They've somehow avoided feeling like a modern corporate area - it just feels nice in the right ways. This is obviously just my opinion, but I'm curious if anyone else on here has had the same (or opposite) thought. Have at it..

I'm currently in Greenville for a work trip, and it struck me how similar the two downtowns feel...but in my opinion (and I'm sure I'll get destroyed for this), downtown Greenville is what Athens should aspire to be. It's maintained a really unique feel with a lot of outdoor greenspace all while growing into a really diverse dining/shopping district as well. They've somehow avoided feeling like a modern corporate area - it just feels nice in the right ways. This is obviously just my opinion, but I'm curious if anyone else on here has had the same (or opposite) thought. Have at it..
Greenville is a much nicer downtown area than Athens IMO. The surrounding areas are much nicer here though. Anything outside of the immediate downtown area by the Falls Park can be a rough area. That downtown area is nicer than anything we have though. Same can be said about the downtown area of Chattanooga. Chatt and Greenville are my favorite downtown areas to visit but I do not venture away from their immediate downtown areas.

It's an amazing town

Reactions: UGADawgGuy
Yes, absolutely... Athens could be every bit as nice downtown if there was any forward looking thinking going on with the local government and more coorperation between the local government and the University.

Don't get me wrong, I love Athens... but Greenville is a model for what every medium sized city should shoot for when it comes to downtown development.

Greenville is a much nicer downtown area than Athens IMO. The surrounding areas are much nicer here though. Anything outside of the immediate downtown area by the Falls Park can be a rough area. That downtown area is nicer than anything we have though. Same can be said about the downtown area of Chattanooga. Chatt and Greenville are my favorite downtown areas to visit but I do not venture away from their immediate downtown areas.
I read this as you saying that Athens could be much nicer if it weren't for all the drunk college kids hanging around. Maybe that was not the intent?

only thing better than living in Greenville is living 30 minutes from it! They are growing at an almost out of control pace. Great to just pop in for a nice dinner or concert. Residents have lost priority over development.

Athens is just a sad story. Who’s been in charge the last 20 years? Would have loved a baseball stadium downtown before they spent all the money at Foley. It has that grunge feel more than a cool, old downtown. I get it. But REM has been gone since the 90s!

Because Clemson fans are going to have a field day with this thread, I'll be an antagonist.

Greenville's downtown has a charm to it but it's just surface level. There's nothing there with any real tradition or roots to it.

Personally, I'd take Athens the way it is over any section of Greenville. The best bar in that town just closed down a year ago (Barley's). There's no college in that town so that alone keeps it from truly being what Athens is with the young people always keeping things fresh.

If you just want trees in downtown and a nice river walk area and a greenway, just say that about the town. Otherwise no, Athens should never aspire to be what Greenville, SC is.

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely... Athens could be every bit as nice downtown if there was any forward looking thinking going on with the local government and more coorperation between the local government and the University.

Don't get me wrong, I love Athens... but Greenville is a model for what every medium sized city should shoot for when it comes to downtown development.
And the people said Amen!

I’m actually very passionate about this. There’s absolutely no reason Athens can’t be a great college town, a town for young professionals/professionals and a great place for retired folks.

I'm sure better leadership would be nice, but it's just not in the cards for Athens to approach the quality of Greenville.

It's a numbers game:
Median household income in Athens Clarke County - $47,798
Median household income in Greenville County - $71,328

On the flipside, basically every small-medium sized city in the country would be more like Greenville if it could, so it's not like Athens is alone in failing to measure up.

There’s absolutely no reason Athens can’t be a great college town, a town for young professionals/professionals and a great place for retired folks.

Can you think of another example?

Greenville is very "young professional/professional", and while the the retirement communities and college students exist, they're not exactly featured demographics, more just reaping the benefits of a strong professional community.

That wouldn't work with the number of students in Athens.

Can you think of another example?

Greenville is very "young professional/professional", and while the the retirement communities and college students exist, they're not exactly featured demographics, more just reaping the benefits of a strong professional community.

That wouldn't work with the number of students in Athens.
Austin. I know it’s a larger city, but Athens could be similar even if smaller scale

Maybe Madison, Charlottesville? I don’t know but I don’t buy that it couldn’t be a great town for everyone

Because Clemson fans are going to have a field day with this thread, I'll be an antagonist.

Greenville's downtown has a charm to it but it's just surface level. There's nothing there with any real tradition or roots to it.

Personally, I'd take Athens the way it is over any section of Greenville. The best bar in that town just closed down a year ago (Barley's). There's no college in that town so that alone keeps it from truly being what Athens is with the young people always keeping things fresh.

If you just want trees in downtown and a nice river walk area and a greenway, just say that about the town. Otherwise no, Athens should never aspire to be what Greenville, SC is.
Athens has become a dump not sure how you can’t see that it needs a total redo. The Greenville comparison is spot on and exactly the model Athens should take if they ever move forward .

That second paragraph makes zero sense. The allure of Greenville is it is new, fresh and growing. The only thing people care about is the current condition and where it’s going.

On the flip side if you said yeah this place is slummy but it has history…that doesn’t appeal.

Athens is a college town and Greenville is a young professional/family town. They really aren’t comparable.

I have a relative that lives there, he LOVES Greenville. He doesn't lives in a nice neighborhood not far from downtown. The minor league baseball stadium is nice also.

Reactions: UGADawgGuy
I'm sure better leadership would be nice, but it's just not in the cards for Athens to approach the quality of Greenville.

It's a numbers game:
Median household income in Athens Clarke County - $47,798
Median household income in Greenville County - $71,328

On the flipside, basically every small-medium sized city in the country would be more like Greenville if it could, so it's not like Athens is alone in failing to measure up.

I never said Athens was alone... I said Greenville was the model, which means I think its one of the best mid-size city downtown developments in the country. In other words, I am in fact saying there are lots of cities that fail to measure up, not just Athens.

Also, you are quoting numbers based on where things currently stand. Those numbers are where we are today, but had some forward thinking people been in charge of Athens 40 years with a common vision continued on by the generations that followed, Athens would likely have better numbers than that. But everyone's goals were mostly to just keep the status quo.

Greenville didn't get to where they are over night... it took decades, and as they built it they made it a more desirable place to live, and as it became a more desirable place to live higher earning people chose to settle there.

Don't get me wrong... I love Athens. I made the conscious decision to move here in 1994... I made the decision to settle here permanently in 2002 and have been here ever since. I love it here... but it would be incorrect to say Athens has done all they can to develop the downtown in any way that rivals what Greenville has done even relatively speaking based on local median income. Maybe the powers that be think "Why should we do more? People already love Athens." and I concede they would have a point. I'm living proof of it as I do live here after all and commute an hour every day to work elsewhere. But downtown Greenville is now nicer and that was not always the case.

I never said Athens was alone... I said Greenville was the model, which means I think its one of the best mid-size city downtown developments in the country. In other words, I am in fact saying there are lots of cities that fail to measure up, not just Athens.

Also, you are quoting numbers based on where things currently stand. Those numbers are where we are today, but had some forward thinking people been in charge of Athens 40 years with a common vision continued on by the generations that followed, Athens would likely have better numbers than that. But everyone's goals were mostly to just keep the status quo.

Greenville didn't get to where they are over night... it took decades, and as they built it they made it a more desirable place to live, and as it became a more desirable place to live higher earning people chose to settle there.

Don't get me wrong... I love Athens. I made the conscious decision to move here in 1994... I made the decision to settle here permanently in 2002 and have been here ever since. I love it here... but it would be incorrect to say Athens has done all they can to develop the downtown in any way that rivals what Greenville has done even relatively speaking based on local median income. Maybe the powers that be think "Why should we do more? People already love Athens." and I concede they would have a point. I'm living proof of it as I do live here after all and commute an hour every day to work elsewhere. But downtown Greenville is now nicer and that was not always the case.
This is probably a more articulate version of what I was trying to say

Agree. Athens (outside UGA) seems to have been enamored with mirror images of “its men behind the curtain,” mugging for the cameras.

I read this as you saying that Athens could be much nicer if it weren't for all the drunk college kids hanging around. Maybe that was not the intent?
I didn’t read it that way at all. The problem with Athens is the local government not college students. You’re not going to find that kind of local political environment in Greenville because it’s not a college town. Athens is on its way to becoming San Francisco Jr.

Last edited:
If a city in Georgia were to match Greenville it would be Augusta. Augusta's downtown has so much potential but instead it just lies in ruins and has no water visibility due to Levees that protect the city from a river that is Dammed! But on a brighter note, there are 12 tattoo parlors within 1 mile of Broad Street(so, take from that what you will"

Reactions: poorpreacher
Wife and I absolutely love it and go for a weekend every January.

Just got back from a weekend there with the kiddos. Really enjoyed the town. Great restaurants and breweries. Clean unless you get on the outskirts, but to be expected.

If a city in Georgia were to match Greenville it would be Augusta. Augusta's downtown has so much potential but instead it just lies in ruins and has no water visibility due to Levees that protect the city from a river that is Dammed! But on a brighter note, there are 12 tattoo parlors within 1 mile of Broad Street(so, take from that what you will"
The Augusta downtown really does have potential

Metro Atl is too close.

Greenville is a different animal. It’s the hub of upstate SC and isn’t a college town.

This is true... Greenville metro population is around 1 million, Athens metro is only about a quarter of that.

Still though, Athens doesn't have to develop on the same scale as Greenville. One of the more enjoyable city events I've experienced is spending a beautiful Saturday afternoon and evening strolling through Central Park in New York. I'm sure there are other cool parks in other cities, but in all my travels the only other place that has that Central Park feel on a Saturday afternoon/evening is Falls park in Greenville where you can just walk on forever and see all sorts of different events going on, pop out anywhere in different parts of the city and grab a beer or dinner, before heading back through the park for the evening and catching a Shakespeare in the Park play or some other event on your way home.

And Falls park is no where near the level of Central Park, but for a town the size of Greenville, its about as close as you can get. Downtown Athens doesn't have to have development on the scale of Greenville, but it would be nice if it had some similar features. There is opportunity. Just no one seems to put any priority in seizing it. Though I will say that I think the Classic center expansion and hockey team could change some of that along the river area finally. We'll see how that turns out.

Athens is a college town that would be Blakely without UGA. Greenville is a legit mid size city with much more going on than just one big employer. It’s not really a fair comparison. Athens is a great town and downtown Athens is exactly what it should be

Got a buddy who moved to Greenville years ago and is involved in the downtown revitalization.

They originally did a study of Austin before it capsized and 1) landed Michelin and couple other large companies; 2) have been very active in supporting startups in conjunction with Clemson; 3) the town leadership has not endorsed homelessness inside the downtown area although a few miles outside of that area things can devolve.

_______

Classic Center: Chuck Jones resigned and the Gal that worked for him at the start and did most of the planning and scheduling (can’t remember her name but she was from Macon) was forced out by local politics. Lost its headway & good vibrations since imo.

Last edited:
This is true... Greenville metro population is around 1 million, Athens metro is only about a quarter of that.

Still though, Athens doesn't have to develop on the same scale as Greenville. One of the more enjoyable city events I've experienced is spending a beautiful Saturday afternoon and evening strolling through Central Park in New York. I'm sure there are other cool parks in other cities, but in all my travels the only other place that has that Central Park feel on a Saturday afternoon/evening is Falls park in Greenville where you can just walk on forever and see all sorts of different events going on, pop out anywhere in different parts of the city and grab a beer or dinner, before heading back through the park for the evening and catching a Shakespeare in the Park play or some other event on your way home.

And Falls park is no where near the level of Central Park, but for a town the size of Greenville, its about as close as you can get. Downtown Athens doesn't have to have development on the scale of Greenville, but it would be nice if it had some similar features. There is opportunity. Just no one seems to put any priority in seizing it. Though I will say that I think the Classic center expansion and hockey team could change some of that along the river area finally. We'll see how that turns out.
Have you been on the oconee greenway or the botanical gardens?

Also, North Campus would be the equivalent of a park in Athens.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
Downtown, OK. White Horse Rd…..nope

Athens is a college town that would be Blakely without UGA. Greenville is a legit mid size city with much more going on than just one big employer. It’s not really a fair comparison. Athens is a great town and downtown Athens is exactly what it should be
Being born in Blakely, I don't know to take this as a compliment or a insult. 🤣

Have you been on the oconee greenway or the botanical gardens?

Also, North Campus would be the equivalent of a park in Athens.

Been here for 30 years, so you can probably guess thats a "yes".

If you put the botanical gardens along the river adjacent to the Classic Center and downtown you would have something comparable to Falls Park in Greenville.

And the Athens Greenway is very nice... But the thing that Greenville does with their much longer Swamp Rabbit trail is encourage local business and development around it... Its 30 miles long and it winds through the country but at different parts it pops up near local businesses where you can hit a brewery or a brunch place or dinner...

The Greenway is that to a smaller extent over a mile or so downtown, but it would be nice if there were other "destinations" along its path. As it is currently all the destinations like restaurants and entertainment are in one area along the part in Athens downtown.

Side story.... I actually have a fairly intimate knowledge of the Greenway... My home and horseless horse farm (I refuse to own horses, just liked the place so I bought it) resides very near the end of the Buckeye Horse Trail at Sandy Creek Park... I own a chunk of the marsh near where the Buckeye trail ends... My wife and I and sometimes kids to like to occasionally paddle across the marsh the end of the Buckeye Trail, stow the canoe and take Buckeye down the the Sandy Creek lake damn where we pick up Cook's Trail (named for Walter Cook who I met several times in years past) which takes us to the Sandy Creek Nature Center and the top of the Greenway, from there we walk on down the Greenway to downtown, get a room at the Hyatt or Hilton, enjoy a nice dinner out, have some drinks, then get up the next morning and follow the Greenway down to Mama's boy for Breakfast before following the trail all the way back home and across the Marsh on Sunday.

Now this is wonderful for us... we absolutely love it!.... But what makes it great for us is the destinations (food, drink, hotel, entertainment) on the other end of the trail... So its a fun adventure getting there. If you could somehow have destinations on other parts of the trail then people downtown would have a reason to walk elsewhere and encourage other development... This is what Greenville did with the Swamp Rabbit trail and it worked out beautifully.

We just bought land outside of Greenville…hoping to move at the end of the year. Can’t wait to get out of metro Atlanta.

Reactions: jdwalker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT