ADVERTISEMENT

Is the area around The Mercedes Benz Stadium part of what we are seeing in chaos in news?

Electric City Dawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2005
Anderson, SC
I’m out of State and can only go based on coverage I see in mostly regional or national coverage. Atlanta looks like a full out crap show these days. Not much leadership there to change things that way it seems. Is that area safe for a CFB season opening game??

Awe man, they ain't gonna hurt nobody. And if they do, please understand it is just because they are frustrated. Just don't park your police car down there and leave it unintended. Take Marta.........

Awe man, they ain't gonna hurt nobody. And if they do, please understand it is just because they are frustrated. Just don't park your police car down there and leave it unintended. Take Marta.........
Lol! Just seems a lot of people with nothing to lose. People with no discipline that love some free cnn coverage too.

The young girl was killed near the Wendy's which was the site of the Rayshard Brooks inicident. "Protesters" had set up a sort of a autonomous zone there that I guess the City had allowed to continue. See the story.

Today, those peaceful protesters say it weren't them, so be on the lookout for antifa again shooting black kids.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/atla...coriea-turner-killing/AaVgEWntopglOYH9ptdjMO/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-8-year-old-girl-killed-Atlanta-shooting.html

Curious to see a poll of who would go visit downtown ATL with their family anytime in the near future?
tenor.gif

I wouldn't, but the most important thing is that we're having a conversation. It's all about the conversation.

Honest & open conversation with an agreed purpose to SOLVE not to BLAME. And not more noise for the sake of noise, name calling and destruction. That’s been done. And it’s been counterproductive. Our tendency to blame first and always may be the greatest challenge to mutually beneficial solutions, sustainable solutions.

Honest & open conversation with an agreed purpose to SOLVE not to BLAME. And not more noise for the sake of noise, name calling and destruction. That’s been done. And it’s been counterproductive. Our tendency to blame first and always may be the greatest challenge to mutually beneficial solutions, sustainable solutions.

Yeah, the conversation that desperately needs to be had can't be had in America right now unfortunately.

100% agree. We haven't had much open and honest conversation lately though. It seems like the conversation has been pretty one sided.

This is why the Braves look like geniuses.
If you had been by Turner Field recently you would know that it is one of the "hot" development spots in Atlanta right now. I'm starting a large multi-family project across the street from Turner Field in a couple of months, and there is already a ton of construction in the area.

Reactions: paintdawg1
If you had been by Turner Field recently you would know that it is one of the "hot" development spots in Atlanta right now. I'm starting a large multi-family project across the street from Turner Field in a couple of months, and there is already a ton of construction in the area.

How is that autonomous zone less than a mile a way for the past few weeks working for you?

Look at the property values in Cobb County. What do you think they will be in a year?

People want SFR.

Reactions: Kylo Ren
Yeah, the conversation that desperately needs to be had can't be had in America right now unfortunately.
One might argue that the conversation has been 1-sided for 400 years. The people that have been silenced for 400 years are finally being heard. Unfortunately people wouldn't listen until it hit a breaking point.

How is that autonomous zone less than a mile a way for the past few weeks working for you?

Look at the property values in Cobb County. What do you think they will be in a year?

People want SFR.
Ha ha. I live in Cherokee County, and yes, my property values have risen. I don't drive through the "autonomous zone", but you said that the Braves had great foresight by moving. Maybe so, but there are still plenty of people who want to live in the area.

Reactions: paintdawg1
One might argue that the conversation has been 1-sided for 400 years. The people that have been silenced for 400 years are finally being heard. Unfortunately people wouldn't listen until it hit a breaking point.

I'll listen when they find a martyr that doesn't have multiple felonies or not hopped up on drugs when they die.

Yessir...we are starting on exterior and interior at Summerhill at the end o this month, been out there applying intumescent paint on structural steel since April.

Reactions: MaitlandFloridaDawg

Man, I have so many questions for you but I fear they will be read as accusatory instead of me trying to understand the mindset but...here it goes?

Do Developers in ATL think the train will just go on forever? Are there fears people will stop moving there due to the inept City Govt, depressing traffic, weak public schools, etc.? How many empty condos and mixed retail are there before there is a slowdown?

I fully recognize ATL has many things in its favor such as logistics, climate, cost of living in relation to Chicago/NYC/LA, but at what point is it too much? I see the sheer amount of people each time I am in town and I just fail to see the appeal, but I was raised there from 2nd grade thru high school and then back for 8 yrs out of UGA so I have seen the progression of a 'big city of 1.5 million to what it is now.

Man, I have so many questions for you but I fear they will be read as accusatory instead of me trying to understand the mindset but...here it goes?

Do Developers in ATL think the train will just go on forever? Are there fears people will stop moving there due to the inept City Govt, depressing traffic, weak public schools, etc.? How many empty condos and mixed retail are there before there is a slowdown?

I fully recognize ATL has many things in its favor such as logistics, climate, cost of living in relation to Chicago/NYC/LA, but at what point is it too much? I see the sheer amount of people each time I am in town and I just fail to see the appeal, but I was raised there from 2nd grade thru high school and then back for 8 yrs out of UGA so I have seen the progression of a 'big city of 1.5 million to what it is now.

How much more development has to happen on the south side before competent people start getting elected to city government

I guess it depends on the developer. My company does primarily urban development, and that is what we are continuing to focus on. Some other developers are now focusing more on suburban products. To your point about “empty
condos and retail”, there has been very little new “condo” development since the Great Recession. Most of what you see are rental apartments, which have been booming for the last ten years. Apartment occupancy rates are still good and we will continue to build until they aren’t. Very few multi-family developers (there are a few exceptions) build retail because they want to. We build retail / mixed use because it is the only way we can get projects approved through municipal planning boards. In many cases the retail component has a proforma value of $0, but the residential component still makes the project work.

I guess it depends on the developer. My company does primarily urban development, and that is what we are continuing to focus on. Some other developers are now focusing more on suburban products. To your point about “empty
condos and retail”, there has been very little new “condo” development since the Great Recession. Most of what you see are rental apartments, which have been booming for the last ten years. Apartment occupancy rates are still good and we will continue to build until they aren’t. Very few multi-family developers (there are a few exceptions) build retail because they want to. We build retail / mixed use because it is the only way we can get projects approved through municipal planning boards. In many cases the retail component has a proforma value of $0, but the residential component still makes the project work.

Ah, an apartment developer for ITP that lives in Cherokee. Interesting.

Reactions: NC_K9

People want SFR.
I work all over Atlanta, the autonomous zone doesn’t effect me one bit, And the whole city is slowly but surely being gentrified. Cob county property values are much like Fulton, good areas and bad areas, East Cobb will continue to be appealing with Walton and Lassiter High schools, areas in Cobb county around Sprayberry probably not so much.

I’ll have a ham to bake for you just in case....

Just kidding hope the project goes well and the world regains some resemblance of sanity.

Reactions: MaitlandFloridaDawg
100% agree. We haven't had much open and honest conversation lately though. It seems like the conversation has been pretty one sided.

Its not a conversation. You are all in with the mob or your silence or lack of support is the same as violence. Let’s see. Violence is violence, words are violence and silence is violence. Not sure how any of this moves forward.

Went to Atl this weekend for the first time in years to play baseball with my sons travel team. Had the pleasure of having the guy who got into a shoot out come threw the Hotel parking lot right before he got out and started shooting. I'm just glad that he ran first and didn't come out shooting right in front of my family. Good times we live in these days. By the way whats the deal with everything closing at 6-7 o'clock? Played hell finding somewhere to pick up food Saturday after we got finished.

I'm about two miles from there and if I hadn't been watching the news, I would have no clue anything is going on

FWIW
I live in Inman park and same. It was almost pre-COVID business this weekend.

Braves would still be there if ATL had gotten construction underway 10 years ago. Stupid city "leaders".

I'm about two miles from there and if I hadn't been watching the news, I would have no clue anything is going on

FWIW

Two miles can make a world of difference. When I lived in Brookhaven we were between 1-2 miles from a number of very crime-ridden apartment complexes in the Buford Highway corridor. Just because we were "close" and my neighborhood was (relatively) safe doesn't mean I would have been OK living there instead. Hell, Piedmont Hospital and Grady Hospital are about 4 miles apart as the crow flies, and you couldn't find two more different patient populations in Atlanta than those two "neighbors".

Two miles can make a world of difference. When I lived in Brookhaven we were between 1-2 miles from a number of very crime-ridden apartment complexes in the Buford Highway corridor. Just because we were "close" and my neighborhood was (relatively) safe doesn't mean I would have been OK living there instead. Hell, Piedmont Hospital and Grady Hospital are about 4 miles apart as the crow flies, and you couldn't find two more different patient populations in Atlanta than those two "neighbors".

for sure...just saying that outside of the immediate area where this stuff is happening, there hasn't been much of a ripple.

ADVERTISEMENT