ADVERTISEMENT

It’s very concerning to me in my retirement job

OlecountryDawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
Jan 24, 2008
. I work a long side 19 to 26 year olds . They do not know what mental toughness is . They do not know what team work is . Many have never played sports . That’s a huge problem because it shows in their lack of mental toughness and team work .

so here it goes , if you have a teenager or soon be teenager get them involved in sports . Band and drama do not count . I don’t care if they like sports or not . This my child a gamer is going to sink this country . Make them . Yes I said make them .

. I work a long side 19 to 26 year olds . They do not know what mental toughness is . They do not know what team work is . Many have never played sports . That’s a huge problem because it shows in their lack of mental toughness and team work .

so here it goes , if you have a teenager or soon be teenager get them involved in sports . Band and drama do not count . I don’t care if they like sports or not . This my child a gamer is going to sink this country . Make them . Yes I said make them .
Growing up playing sports is a great way to learn and deal with life imo. My wife and I both played and are pretty much sports finatics.

We have two girls, they both were introduced to soccer at a very young age and took to it. One still plays in college.

Agree that sports is important, but to “make them” is not a good idea.

Introduce it to them and let them make that decision.

Growing up playing sports is a great way to learn and deal with life imo. My wife and I both played and are pretty much sports finatics.

We have two girls, they both were introduced to soccer at a very young age and took to it. One still plays in college.

Agree that sports is important, but to “make them” is not a good idea.

Introduce it to them and let them make that decision.
Ditto !

Reactions: deadduckdawg
I played bball. I was expected to play and I did. I’m glad I did. When we moved following my SO year, I had to sit out a year and play JV. By my senior year, I knew 80% of the school and wasn’t stuck in some clique. If I hadn’t played, I would have known about 5%. That aside, I learned teamwork and that you didn’t have to like some of your teammates, but on the court you fought together

It is amazing to see the lack of mental toughness and team work . The ones that played sports hang in there and help each other . Those that didn’t are the weak link and will quit because they can’t handle it .

It worries the hell out of me .

Reactions: LRA Dawg
It is amazing to see the lack of mental toughness and team work . The ones that played sports hang in there and help each other . Those that didn’t are the weak link and will quit because they can’t handle it .

It worries the hell out of me .
In another 10 years all that will work out when the hard workers are the ones in leadership positions and the others are wondering why their careers are floundering.

You are not even seeing the segment that is not working at all. It gets even worse.

One of the worst things we have done as parents is not teach/allow our kids to lose. Winning is great. But losing builds character. Of course, that has to be followed with effort to win. Chronic losing is a different story. But it's ok if your feelings get hurt because you lose - in fact something is wrong if it doesn't piss you off.
JC

One of the worst things we have done as parents is not teach/allow our kids to lose. Winning is great. But losing builds character. Of course, that has to be followed with effort to win. Chronic losing is a different story. But it's ok if your feelings get hurt because you lose - in fact something is wrong if it doesn't piss you off.
JC
I was 10 or 11 and on the U12 (thats not what we called it back then) all star team. We had won the state championship, and in the New England Championship finals we lost by two points at the basketball HOF. all I got for a trophy was the mug I stole from A&W root beer. There were a lot of lessons learned that day. In fact, for my career, the only things I got as awards was a ribbon, one trophy, and a bball letter.

Over the past 20+ years I've had the opportunity to work with a number of school groups. Without exception, the kids in team sports organizations are head and shoulders above the rest in social skills, composure and focus on the task at hand.

Reactions: jenkinscreekdawg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT