ADVERTISEMENT

Just curious. Who here would consider themsleves anautodidact (self-taught)?...

BaronVonHeinsteidel

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
I am fwiw. A lot of people are surprised when I tell them that. In my case, I had A LITANY of learning disabilities. I'm dyslexic. I overcame my troubles with writing on chat boards in my early 20's during the inception of the internet (largely here/The Grapevine). I never read much, but I was fairly knowledgeable (I watched a shocking amount of TV and I loved reading facts in roster form. I tore up almanacs Traditional reading gave me trouble, it still does). To this day, I'm a far better writer than reader. The former comes very easily for me.

I have a decent vocabulary and command of the language. I'm not really sure how, either. I often don't know that I know a word until I'm trying to express a certain feeling, then the appropriate word just sort of spills out. I suppose I learn a lot through osmosis. At some point, during my adulthood (around 30), I became a very good communicator, which wasn't the case just a few years before.

I hated school and dropped out as a senior (I know I know, but I was actually years behind in certain subjects that I just kept failing out of boredom). One day, I got tired of having those dreams about being 35 in high school, so I decided to get my GED. Just took a test and got every question right. I couldn't believe people studied for those. I immediately decided to go to community college. I took an entrance exam and got every question right. All sections. Being able to use a computer was a game changer for me. I was in school for a couple years and was actually Phi Beta Kappa and was offered a couple academic scholarships. Had to drop out because my mom got Alzheimers and never went back. But some time during my adulthood, something switched/clicked.

Can anyone identify with this? The net just changed it all for me. Also, weird thing to admit, but I would say 80% of my learning is just getting sucked into YouTube rabbit holes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.