ADVERTISEMENT

Just got done listening to Bill Shanks’s interview with Judd on 7/6

Gfunk20

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2017
and one, I’ll give credit to Shanks. He was pretty level-headed throughout the whole interview (even with him being a big UGA fan). He asked fair questions and didn’t try and homer to one side when presenting Judd with these questions.

I know most people on the Vent despise Judd and I’m not a fan of him either….Partly because and it’s my human nature…he’s presenting the school I love dearly in a negative limelight. Of course I’m not going to be fond of him. He’s digging up things that don’t portray UGA and the football program in a good light. I’ll give him credit as he was steadfast in the interview and didn’t apologize for his reporting (wouldn’t think he would but knowing that he’s going on a pro-UGA radio show might make some ppl try and tamper down something like that). He believes his reporting is accurate and Shanks doesn’t just lambast him like probably many folks would on the Vent if they could.

I’m not gonna summarize the entire interview. If you want to listen to it, you can catch it on any of the places where WXKO Sports Radio 93-1 puts the show (Apple podcasts for example) and look for the interview. If not, fine too. I know some will refuse just because Judd is on there.

Two things I did find more concerning after listening to interview that I hadn’t known before that raised my eyebrows….why didn’t they talk to the victim first with the Jarrett situation? Shanks raises the question was it because Gantt was in there? The detective clearly states “my beloved Bulldogs” and effectively says I’m here looking out for you (in reference to Jarrett). Did the detective have his mind made up going into this that he wasn’t going to charge Jarrett? That he didn’t think it was a serious case? This happened before he interviewed the girl. Shanks brings up why and how was Gantt allowed to be in there when the interrogation was happening. Judd states that Gantt has been in interrogations over and over with players. *This is coming from Judd* (he states he has talked to numerous ppl in law enforcement/scholars of law enforcement and they’ve all said it’s not normal for Gantt to be doing that. He’s not an attorney. He’s representing the interest of the fball program at that point. It’s a very unusual situation but is pretty common as whenever UGA fball players have contact with law enforcement, he’s in the room.) Again, the parenthesis is me summarizing what Judd said.

Shanks said he was at a loss at why Gantt would be in there and why would Athens police allow him. He said he was more bothered by Athens police having him in there because isn’t that intimidation allowing him to be in there in the room? Could the police person do an objective interview with any kind of player with Gantt in the room?

Lastly, Shanks tells Judd that many people were accusing him of leaving some stuff out of his article and asks was there items left out that would make it more clear that this young lady was simply having sex with Jarrett and this wasn’t rape…he states they obtained through police (as his phone was obtained that this was reported) and Judd said they reviewed all the text messages they downloaded (just for that weekend) and that amounted to about 1,000 pages. He said there were texts with her, texts with another woman he was trying to hook up with that weekend, texts with other recruits, etc. He (Judd) said there are texts from her before the alleged assault telling Jarrett to be careful and there will be girls who just want to hook up with you and just get a connection with you. Telling him not to be smoking weed, don’t drink, if you drink don’t put it down or someone might put something in it. (What the girl is saying to Jarrett via texts). Judd said she acknowledges on police video and with them that she did things that weren’t the greatest judgments herself. Judd states that she said she texted him that morning asking him to delete the videos of them having sex. Judd says that some ppl have read those texts and thinks that exonerates him (Jarrett). Judd further says if you look at any high profile sexual assault case it’s not uncommon to see the victims coming across as somewhat friendly still because they have fear of that person. He said that she wasn’t in a position at that point to want to antagonize him for fear of him possibly maybe doing something with the videos.

Shanks asks Judd point blank “do you think police made a mistake in not charging J Jarrett?” He said he can’t make that judgment but that he said he can say when the detective wrote his final report it did not reflect the full story the woman told him. Shanks asks “how so?” Judd states that he (detective) wrote the she didn’t say no, that she didn’t articulate a crime against her. Judd says in fact she did in the interview with detective (he says he has the video of it) that she talked about the force that Jarrett used against her, holding her head down, forcing her to her knees after she had said no. She had said no in many forms. Judd said if you read the report that the detective came out with afterwards, you don’t get that. He has for whatever reason put out a report that was pretty incomplete in terms of the alleged crime that she articulated. Judd says that the detective (when she stated to him that Jarrett was pulling so hard the wig she was wearing that was glued to her scalp actually yanked a piece of hair out of her head) and the detective described that as overly enthusiastic sex.

Again, most of this was just summarizing the two parts of the interview Shanks had that I felt were a little concerning and saying what Shanks asked and what Judd responded with. I’m not trying to portray right/wrong….just trying to cliff note the two things in the interview that caught my eye. If you want to make your own judgement, listen to the interview yourself and form your own opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.