ADVERTISEMENT

Got bumped for no reason- ignore Just got my PCR test back. Positive........What next?

Baked-Ham-4.jpg
I came here specifically for this response and the thread delivered.

Got it over Christmas (just turned 32), and I had aches and pains, congestion, terrible headaches, and lo energy for about a week. Also lost my taste and smell after about 5-6 days of initial onset of symptoms. That lasted about 2 weeks, with both starting to comeback now.

Like most will tell you, take your daily doses of vitamin C, D3, Zinc, and mucinex day/night to help with the aches, pains, and cold/flu like symptoms. Would also get a pulse oximeter to measure your blood ox% and heart rate, which are pretty cheap on amazon. If you can, get outside and walk around at least one a day. Good luck and hang in there!

Reactions: BigDawgs2010
It was the strangest thing. Yesterday I woke up with a sore back and legs but attributed it to running a chainsaw and ax all day Sunday. Had a mild headache but figured I needed to eat. I went on and ran for 30 minutes with no issue and came back and played with the kids in the yard. My wife noticed our son had a runny nose so checked his temp. I checked mine just for the heck of it and it was 100. Checked again with oral thermometer and get was 99.7 so I went to get tested. I got rapid and PCR. Rapid was negative but PCR came back today positive. I have not had any fever or aches today, very little coughing and otherwise feel completely normal. My question is when does this usually turn downhill? I've walked some today and actually went down to piddle in my barn some. Staying hydrated but still haven't even had to take any ibuprofen or tylenol. I'm hoping for the best. Any info and suggestions are appreciated.

You need a (Cycle Threshold) number from your PCR test. Anything above 35 you’re probably not contagious.

Could they give me that info if I call tomorrow?

Maybe, depends on the lab. All labs should give the number but they don’t for some reason. PCR tests have a very high false positive rate. The test can find fragments of the virus but it can’t replicate and doesn’t mean you’re sick. If they can’t give you the number then find a lab that can and get another test.

Reactions: robertboz
It was the strangest thing. Yesterday I woke up with a sore back and legs but attributed it to running a chainsaw and ax all day Sunday. Had a mild headache but figured I needed to eat. I went on and ran for 30 minutes with no issue and came back and played with the kids in the yard. My wife noticed our son had a runny nose so checked his temp. I checked mine just for the heck of it and it was 100. Checked again with oral thermometer and get was 99.7 so I went to get tested. I got rapid and PCR. Rapid was negative but PCR came back today positive. I have not had any fever or aches today, very little coughing and otherwise feel completely normal. My question is when does this usually turn downhill? I've walked some today and actually went down to piddle in my barn some. Staying hydrated but still haven't even had to take any ibuprofen or tylenol. I'm hoping for the best. Any info and suggestions are appreciated.
Mine never went downhill. I ran a slight fever the first day and that was pretty much it. My son has it and same for him

Take these 4 vitamins:
Quercetin
Zinc
Vit D
Vit C

it’ll be gone 3-5 days.

Reactions: Jug Tavern Dawg
Check a couple things off your bucket list, just to be safe.

Reactions: alumuga
vitamin d3 quercetin zinc vitamin c and a z pack of your dr will prescribe
This is the prevailing wisdom. My doctor, ho runs marathons on weekends, but is 53, got covid. He took this list of supplements, along with ivermectin and the Z pack, but he got worse. so he got hydroxychloroquine, and that’s what got him well. If I test positive, that’s what I’m gonna take.
But I am already taking a daily C,D, and Zinc.

Biolyte and do whatever you need to do to relax. Not a big deal for vast majority. I started doing long solo walks after day 6 or so an feel like that helped push it out.

Get another test you are more than likely negative

Reactions: robertboz
They ibuprofen thing is interesting because they started giving me the mixture of both towards the end. In the beginning they gave me just Tylenol. I have to admit early on when I was taking oxygen, I wasn’t 100 percent sure of everything they were giving me. Vitamin d is a new discovery that seems to help. At least according to the nurses. Water is a must. I forgot to mention that. Pretty much responding to this to say spot on.
Yeah I thought the ibuprofen thing was a wild discovery that added a rough layer to fighting the virus. My MIL was taking it and I had her switch to strictly acetaminophen and it helped a lot of her pain and general exhaustion subside in just a couple days. Wonder how many other people had that type of experience.

Reactions: zingerdawg
I would trust the rapid antigen test over the PCR any day. Most states are calling PCR positives at a Ct of 40-45, which is way too high. Many are also looking for only one genetic marker but are supposed to be targeting 2-3 markers. I would ask for the Ct value on your test. If it is > 35 then you are not positive.

Mine never got worse - none of the family did

Mine never got worse - none of the family did

My neck and back hurts this morning but I think it's from trying to force myself to sleep on my stomach and extra time in the recliner the past two days... Otherwise I'm feeling extremely lazy and unproductive.

My neck and back hurts this morning but I think it's from trying to force myself to sleep on my stomach and extra time in the recliner the past two days... Otherwise I'm feeling extremely lazy and unproductive.
Do an hour on your stomach. Don’t go crazy. Also sleeping on your side helps as well. What you are trying to do is just reposition your lungs. It allows more air in. Anxiety about it and stress only hurts my friend. You ran thirty minutes the other day. More than likely, this is just going to make you tired. Try to rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: celticdawg
I know it’s easy to say and hard to do but - relax!
Load up on vitamin D, C, B12, Zinc.
No way to tell if it will get worse, or it won’t but stress certainly will not help you.
Otherwise find something to occupy your time and just keep a casual watch on it. You body will tell you if there is an issue.

Sometimes it really doesn’t mess with you at all. I talked to several covid frontline docs. They just don’t know why it picks you. Being in shape will help. I was not in good shape. I play some tennis. I play golf, but not in as good a shape as I should be. Drink water and watch your fever. If it gets too high go in. Take Tylenol . If you have any issue breathing, go to the doctor. Buy an oximeter. If it gets into the 80’s. Go see a doctor. That is the big issue is the randomness of this virus. Take vitamin d. Lay on your stomach for 30 minutes a day if it starts to effect you. That helped me as much as anything. It is still helping me recover. If it gets any worse, dm me. I will give you my phone number and help you any way I can.
America's frontline docs?

you still with us opie?

if not, can i has your stuff?

America's frontline docs?
It is weird the way it works. You don’t have help. It is you and several different doctors. No family. There were four covid docs who split time and were in charge of my case. The buck stopped with them. I talked to one of them usually once a day. I also saw pulmonary docs. But literally a different one every day. Respiratory therapists were also a big part of the treatment. They make the decisions to lower your oxygen intake. If anyone is in my position, explain your case and how you are feeling to each different one. It is important for them know. If they don’t know you are improving and feeling stronger, you can extend your stay. There were two full floors of patients when I was there. Each pulmonologist didn’t have a connection to my case. I don’t know if you are being a smart ass. If so carry on, I just want to try to help anyone not go thru what I did. And if you do have to go thru what I did, what to expect. Anyway I can help another person get thru that hell, I will do all I can. Period.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT