ADVERTISEMENT

KETO

mitchelldawg

Life Is Good
Gold Member
Oct 11, 2004
Trying KETO for the first time to drop a few pounds. I weighed 175 when I got out of high school 41 years ago. I have always tried to work out and eat somewhat healthy for the most part. Anyway, started cutting out ALL sugars and very, very little carbs. In 18 days I have lost 12.5 pounds (now weigh 191.8). It is amazing. No hunger, no sweet cravings, and energy through the roof! Had mild headaches for a couple of days when I first started, sugar withdrawals I am guessing. My goal was 190 and I never dreamed I would be almost there this quick. Want to keep my weight range between 190-195. Will slowly start working some carbs back in soon ( I guess, I honestly dont miss them at all).

Not bragging, or looking for "that a boys", just sharing and hope maybe someone that wants to drop a few, telling them something they may want to try.

Hope everyone has a great day. Peace out.

Trying KETO for the first time to drop a few pounds. I weighed 175 when I got out of high school 41 years ago. I have always tried to work out and eat somewhat healthy for the most part. Anyway, started cutting out ALL sugars and very, very little carbs. In 18 days I have lost 12.5 pounds (now weigh 191.8). It is amazing. No hunger, no sweet cravings, and energy through the roof! Had mild headaches for a couple of days when I first started, sugar withdrawals I am guessing. My goal was 190 and I never dreamed I would be almost there this quick. Want to keep my weight range between 190-195. Will slowly start working some carbs back in soon ( I guess, I honestly dont miss them at all).

Not bragging, or looking for "that a boys", just sharing and hope maybe someone that wants to drop a few, telling them something they may want to try.

This is interesting. I have known people who have tried Keto and they say unless you are 100% devoid of all sugars and carbs, it doesn’t work. Did you reduce your intake of carbs or completely eliminate?

This is interesting. I have known people who have tried Keto and they say unless you are 100% devoid of all sugars and carbs, it doesn’t work. Did you reduce your intake of carbs or completely eliminate?
I have pretty much eliminated them. Maybe a sweet potato every now and then, but they are "complex" carbs. ALL sugars must go (at least in the beginning). It's funny though, after a few days I did not even think about carbs. I make a "what cha ma call it stew". Chicken and beef strips, onions, bell peppers and loaded down with cheese and different spices. Don't sound like much, but actually pretty dang good. That type of stuff, I eat all I want and then some. Almost every day I only eat once. Mostly in the early afternoon. I have a protein/superfood powder shake with my vitamin in the mornings.

Everyone is different, but this has worked really well for me. Hope that helps.

I have pretty much eliminated them. Maybe a sweet potato every now and then, but they are "complex" carbs. ALL sugars must go (at least in the beginning). It's funny though, after a few days I did not even think about carbs. I make a "what cha ma call it stew". Chicken and beef strips, onions, bell peppers and loaded down with cheese and different spices. Don't sound like much, but actually pretty dang good. That type of stuff, I eat all I want and then some. Almost every day I only eat once. Mostly in the early afternoon. I have a protein/superfood powder shake with my vitamin in the mornings.

Oh yeah, and a lot of water, which I ready was doing.

I keep my carb intake to between 20-50. Closer to 20 most days. Unless you eat meat and dairy you will get some carbs in even the greenest of veggies. Water is key too. Lost 20 lbs in 16 weeks so it is slow and steady which hopefully means healthy and long lasting.

Here's my .02 from what I have been told by doctors and my own experience and it seems to be accurate. Once, you add carbs back into your diet..POOF...weight comes right back. I did what you did and it works and works fairly fast but weight came right back.

But, exercise is actually the key. Here is a simplified explanation as it was shown to me by my doctor.

Your cells need carbs for energy. Each cell has receptors that take up carbs and use them. If you don't exercise the cells don't need as much energy and they reduce their number of receptors on their surface because they aren't needed. So, they will not be able to use as many carbs and those carbs will just get stored. If you exercise the cells need more energy and will add more receptors and therefore use up more of the carbs.
I am sure someone can explain this in more scientific detail, but I can't.

Here's my .02 from what I have been told by doctors and my own experience and it seems to be accurate. Once, you add carbs back into your diet..POOF...weight comes right back. I did what you did and it works and works fairly fast but weight came right back.

But, exercise is actually the key. Here is a simplified explanation as it was shown to me by my doctor.

Your cells need carbs for energy. Each cell has receptors that take up carbs and use them. If you don't exercise the cells don't need as much energy and they reduce their number of receptors on their surface because they aren't needed. So, they will not be able to use as many carbs and those carbs will just get stored. If you exercise the cells need more energy and will add more receptors and therefore use up more of the carbs.
I am sure someone can explain this in more scientific detail, but I can't.
Thanks.

Wife did the same diet and it worked for her. The tough thing to do is to stay on the diet & not go back to your old habits.

Me, I’ve been lucky all of these years. Still within
5 pounds of my HS weight and have stayed that way. I have never quit working out & eat what I want, but probably moderate more than I did before.

Reactions: mitchelldawg
Oh yeah, and a lot of water, which I ready was doing.
That could be the issue causing you headaches, when you go on KETO you miss out on a lot of minerals and you drink tons of water and that just depletes you more. You dont need that much water(just something else we have been lied to about) Add some electrolytes to your water and the KETO Flu will go away. There are several options available online.

I went on keto and IF 2 years ago, lost 55 lbs, super quick(freakishly fast) I have maintained the weight loss, I am not keto anymore but still practice IF and limit carb intake. I weigh 175 now but that is because I got down to 155 and decided for the first time in my life I could have a six pack, so I started working out. Once you get on it long term, pushing the simple carbs away become easier, because your body doesn't handle them well. The stomach churn isnt worth that pizza anymore.

You cant totally eliminate it, vegetables have carbs in them, your toothpaste has carbs in it. You have to eliminate all "added sugars" and keep you carbs under 40g a day. It is all about eliminating insulin spikes really.

Reactions: Jimy jenga
Wife did the same diet and it worked for her. The tough thing to do is to stay on the diet & not go back to your old habits.

Me, I’ve been lucky all of these years. Still within
5 pounds of my HS weight and have stayed that way. I have never quit working out & eat what I want, but probably moderate more than I did before.
I did it in 2018 and lost about 32lbs. You feel so much better on Keto because if you do it right you avoid the foods that trigger inflammation. I only did it for 6 months and slipped back into my old habits after getting married and honeymoon phase. Covid and quarantine didnt help either lol.

I've talked myself into starting it back after we get back from the beach next weekend but I will need to do a little research because I had my gallbladder removed at the end of 2019. Might have to cut some of the fat intake down this go around. My brother has turned it into a lifestyle diet and has probably lost about 60lbs. He has no urge to even have a legit cheat day. His cheat day is a mexican dish or maybe a bun with his burger lol

If you get down to your HS weight, there might be something wrong with you. I weighed 145 and played basketball, which meant i was had all the weight in my thighs and calves, and minimal upper body weight. Now Im more balanced and could get down to 170-165 at best. Good luck on your quest

ADVERTISEMENT