ADVERTISEMENT

Kirby Smart is now one of only 18 coaches all-time to win multiple national championships by my count

Jacket Squasher

It’s good to be King
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Some of those head coaches who won multiple titles did not win all of those titles outright, plenty of split titles over the years.

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong on the # of college football head coaches to have won multiple national championships.

Among those who have won 2 national championships, a couple of coaches I can recall offhand who had to split the title in at least one of their national championships would be:

Dennis Ericson (1991 was split title with undefeated Washington being #1 in the other poll final rankings. Won 1989 national championship outright.)

Pete Carroll (was voted #1 in final AP poll in 2003 season, despite the fact that LSU won the BCS national championship game with same record & played an additional game that year with SECG. Pete Carroll also had his 2004 national championship later stripped by NCAA. So “officially” Pete Carroll has actually won zero national championships.)

Kirby has entered a very rare sphere in college football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News