ADVERTISEMENT

Know anyone who’s had one of these mythical, so-called “mild cases” of coronavirus?

Jacket Squasher

It’s good to be King
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Allegedly these mild cases exist, but I’m not seeing much reported about those here in the US. Curious if anyone here has had or knows someone with a “mild case” and, if so, what “mild” was like in reality?

Allegedly these mild cases exist, but I’m not seeing much reported about those here in the US. Curious if anyone here has had or knows someone with a “mild case” and, if so, what “mild” was like in reality?
Talked to a friend earlier who believes he had it. He was in Seattle for a conference the week it broke out there, flew back to Kentucky, and a few days later got sick. He said he just had 1 day of coughing, fever of 100, body aches, very slight chest pain, and was exhausted. Woke up fine the following day. He asked about getting tested and was told since he’s in his 30’s and in generally good health, they couldn’t give him a test unless his symptoms returned. He’s not 100% he had the virus, but assumes he did

From what I am reading (CDC, Mayo) mild means cold-like symptoms (congestion, mild myalgia, headache, fatigue, cough). I doubt anyone with these symptoms will ever know if it was corona or not since they are unlikely to seek testing or will be denied testing (unless they are a celebrity). I've talked to several people who had these symptoms recently. I had symptoms about 5 weeks ago but was never that sick but had a cough that persisted for weeks.

IMO, we’ll never know how many people really have this because we’re only testing if you have meet certain requirements. In Columbus, you either have to be already admitted to a hospital or pass the screening from your health services phone call to be tested. If you don’t have serious symptoms, you’re not being tested.

Last edited:
IMO, we’ll never know how many people really have this because we’re only testing if you have meet certain requirements. In Columbus, you either have to be admitted to a hospital already or passed the screening from your health services phone call to be tested. If you don’t have serious symptoms, you’re not being tested.

Yeah, everything related to the testing has been a disaster and a failure. My father is a doctor in rural Alabama & he’s had several people tested. It is taking a full 7 days for him to get a result back from the state of Alabama right now. We were caught with our pants down with all things related to being prepared for the testing needed on this one.

Reactions: Lumpdawg
Pretty sure I had it, with last week being the peak. I feel pretty much 100% now.

I was in New Orleans the 1st full week of the month so the 4th-8th. While I was there I started feeling really tired. Went for a couple three mile runs and I felt like I wasn't going to be able to finish them...Normally I could go run 8-10 miles at the pace I was doing. I chalked it up to the warmer temps and humidity, and my body having not acclimated yet. Then I was in Jacksonville on Saturday the 9th where I ran a 15k. Rather large race with 13,000 finishers this year. If I didn't have it in New Orleans I feel like I picked it up at that race. The following week I just felt flushed and achy with it peaking on Saturday morning (eight days ago). I woke up, let the dogs out and fed them around 7 am. Normally I would be up for the day at that point...but I had to lay back down. Woke up again at 10 am and I was drenched in sweat. Took it easy the rest of the day and started to feel better. Ever since then the achiness and feelings of being flushed have subsided. Really yesterday was the first day I felt normal again, finally. Went for a nice 6 mile run this morning and felt great.

Again, not sure if it was allergies or what...but wouldn't be surprised if it was Covid-19 based off my symptoms.

Pretty sure I had it, with last week being the peak. I feel pretty much 100% now.

I was in New Orleans the 1st full week of the month so the 4th-8th. While I was there I started feeling really tired. Went for a couple three mile runs and I felt like I wasn't going to be able to finish them...Normally I could go run 8-10 miles at the pace I was doing. I chalked it up to the warmer temps and humidity, and my body having not acclimated yet. Then I was in Jacksonville on Saturday the 9th where I ran a 15k. Rather large race with 13,000 finishers this year. If I didn't have it in New Orleans I feel like I picked it up at that race. The following week I just felt flushed and achy with it peaking on Saturday morning (eight days ago). I woke up, let the dogs out and fed them around 7 am. Normally I would be up for the day at that point...but I had to lay back down. Woke up again at 10 am and I was drenched in sweat. Took it easy the rest of the day and started to feel better. Ever since then the achiness and feelings of being flushed have subsided. Really yesterday was the first day I felt normal again, finally. Went for a nice 6 mile run this morning and felt great.

Again, not sure if it was allergies or what...but wouldn't be surprised if it was Covid-19 based off my symptoms.

You were pretty lucky then if you did in fact have it. Since you’ve been running since, it sounds like your lungs are doing ok. How do your lungs feel? Do you feel like you have the same capacity as before or do you notice some ill effect there?

Ranging from a few days to a week....most are in the 30-50 range...None were bedridden or felt as if they had the flu. Most soda they thought they had the sniffles or allergies.

Since we cannot test anywhere remotely close to the number of people that truly need to be tested there’s obviously no way to really know, but it’s entirely possible that they did indeed simply have allergies.

how many people are you talking about specifically?

We traveled from Kalispell to ATL on Feb 13 before any confirmed cases were in the US. Two days later I came down with what seemed like a head cold while in ATL. I never get colds. It never went to my chest and I never got a fever, so I probably did not have it. However, the mucous congestion in my head was so bad for several days that I felt like I was drowning. It was almost panic-inducing. I am comfortable in breathing through my mouth from SCUBA training, but it was very odd.

Then as I got well my wife got a bug in her chest. She never gets sick either. She is still coughing just a bit a few weeks later, but for 3-4 nights she was keeping me up all night coughing. Like me, she never ran a fever or broke her daily routine. But I was afraid I was going to lose her for several nights.

We both went through about 2 weeks of having bizarre crusty booger nostrils, for lack of a better term, after we got well. I mean our noses stayed almost plugged up with a coating of what seemed to be defensive mucous. We are wondering if God himself or a very well tuned immune system was protecting us from aerosol spreading. Very weird period of time for us both.

Reactions: Jacket Squasher
I haven’t had it, friends haven’t had it, nor has anyone they know of had it

You were pretty lucky then if you did in fact have it. Since you’ve been running since, it sounds like your lungs are doing ok. How do your lungs feel? Do you feel like you have the same capacity as before or do you notice some ill effect there?
Throughout the whole situation I never experienced breathing issues. Just tired, achy and flushed. I never took my temperature, probably should have last Saturday morning when I woke up drenched in sweat.

IMO, we’ll never know how many people really have this because we’re only testing if you have meet certain requirements. In Columbus, you either have to be already admitted to a hospital or pass the screening from your health services phone call to be tested. If you don’t have serious symptoms, you’re not being tested.

Totally agree with you there. The testing, or lack thereof, is the single biggest problem IMO. You can contain any illness much more effectively if you can test anyone & everyone you want to AND get a result back quickly. We can do neither. If we could, our entire country & economy would not have to be totally shut down right now because we could much more easily identify who to contain & not have to essentially contain everyone like we are doing almost everywhere right now.

We traveled from Kalispell to ATL on Feb 13 before any confirmed cases were in the US. Two days later I came down with what seemed like a head cold while in ATL. I never get colds. It never went to my chest and I never got a fever, so I probably did not have it. However, the mucous congestion in my head was so bad for several days that I felt like I was drowning. It was almost panic-inducing. I am comfortable in breathing through my mouth from SCUBA training, but it was very odd.

Then as I got well my wife got a bug in her chest. She never gets sick either. She is still coughing just a bit a few weeks later, but for 3-4 nights she was keeping me up all night coughing. Like me, she never ran a fever or broke her daily routine. But I was afraid I was going to lose her for several nights.

We both went through about 2 weeks of having bizarre crusty booger nostrils, for lack of a better term, after we got well. I mean our noses stayed almost plugged up with a coating of what seemed to be defensive mucous. We are wondering if God himself or a very well tuned immune system was protecting us from aerosol spreading. Very weird period of time for us both.

glad you both came through it. Scary stuff.

Since we cannot test anywhere remotely close to the number of people that truly need to be tested there’s obviously no way to really know, but it’s entirely possible that they did indeed simply have allergies.

how many people are you talking about specifically?

Welk I've spoken to 12. Of those, I think 7 or 8 all had the same type of symptoms...A few of them dont have any allergies known to them. I dont think it was a coincidence either that they alm had the same symptoms. 6 of them were in NYC for a wedding beginning of March.

Totally agree with you there. The testing, or lack thereof, is the single biggest problem IMO. You can contain any illness much more effectively if you can test anyone & everyone you want to AND get a result back quickly. We can do neither. If we could, our entire country & economy would not have to be totally shut down right now because we could much more easily identify who to contain & not have to essentially contain everyone like we are doing almost everywhere right now.
creating the infrastructure to test 100s of thousands of people for a newly discovered virus and getting those results back to those people in a timely manner is not something that can be done with the snap of your fingers. I think the biggest lesson we are learning in all of this is that there are far too many people who have been spoiled into thinking if something is needed all you have to do is order it and “poof” amazon will have it to you in 2 days. This is unprecedented and the numbers of supplies and tests needed is not something you can ever just be ready to hit the ground running with.

Athens regional will have the new fda approved test on Monday that will confirm results in 45 mins. This will be a huge step forward in stopping the spread as well as social distancing.

creating the infrastructure to test 100s of thousands of people for a newly discovered virus and getting those results back to those people in a timely manner is not something that can be done with the snap of your fingers. I think the biggest lesson we are learning in all of this is that there are far too many people who have been spoiled into thinking if something is needed all you have to do is order it and “poof” amazon will have it to you in 2 days. This is unprecedented and the numbers of supplies and tests needed is not something you can ever just be ready to hit the ground running with.
The bigger lessen is to elect people who can do the job and hold them to it. What have members of Congress and our state legislators been doing the past 4 decades? We know they didn’t devise an emergency plan for bio-terrorism or nuclear fallout.

Obviously it can’t be done at the snap of the fingers. I don’t need a lecture about that. Your comments seem to operate from an assumption that I do not have a good understanding of what all goes into this, which is quite false. It could have been handled a LOT better than it has been on many levels though. We have done a piss poor job of getting ourselves prepared as a country when we did have advanced warning. I could give a long list of all the things done poorly that would have made this so much better now, but I won’t. This isn’t the forum for that.

Reactions: celticdawg
Obviously it can’t be done at the snap of the fingers. I don’t need a lecture about that. Your comments seem to operate from an assumption that I do not have a good understanding of what all goes into this, which is quite false. It could have been handled a LOT better than it has been on many levels though. We have done a piss poor job of getting ourselves prepared as a country when we did have advanced warning. I could give a long list of all the things done poorly that would have made this so much better now, but I won’t. This isn’t the forum for that.
“I understand this well. We have done a terrible job and could have done better. I have a long list but I can’t actually give it.” Thanks, you did a thorough job of explaining the fact that you are a know-it-all contrarian who always has a better answer in retrospect than the people actually in charge having to make decisions.

Yeah, everything related to the testing has been a disaster and a failure. My father is a doctor in rural Alabama & he’s had several people tested. It is taking a full 7 days for him to get a result back from the state of Alabama right now. We were caught with our pants down with all things related to being prepared for the testing needed on this one.
Sounds like an Alabama problem to me, not the Feds.

Won't see much mentioned, doesn't fit the narrative.

A lot of the folks who think they have mild CV19, might just be one of the 13 million who have seasonal flu.

At this point in the season, CDC estimates indicate that there have been 13 million influenza illnesses, 120,000 hospitalizations, and 6,600 flu-related deaths.

Last edited:
“I understand this well. We have done a terrible job and could have done better. I have a long list but I can’t actually give it.” Thanks, you did a thorough job of explaining the fact that you are a know-it-all contrarian who always has a better answer in retrospect than the people actually in charge having to make decisions.

Jesus, really you’re now devolving this into a “I know you are but what am I” type thing. I didn’t elaborate much further because it could get into an area that might be considered political. Sufficed to say that that those in charge having to make decisions did a poor job, especially when it came to getting in front of this when we did have a few months to prep. The areas where there was lack of planning & failure to be prepared is long & runs deep & many of the failures were very preventable with the time we actually did have to prepare. Doesn’t seem like your interested in exploring that, so go ahead back to your playground pissing match.

Do we even know who has had mild cases? If you don't have serious symptoms you aren't getting tested in the US. Unless you're an professional sports athlete, a Senator, or otherwise well connected.

A lot of the folks who think they have mild CV19, might just be one of the 13 million who have seasonal flu.

At this point in the season, CDC estimates indicate that there have been 13 million influenza illnesses, 120,000 hospitalizations, and 6,600 flu-related deaths.
33 million cases, 360,000 hospitalizations, and 20,000 flu deaths so far this season in the USA.

Reactions: dirtytoeddawg
From what I am reading (CDC, Mayo) mild means cold-like symptoms (congestion, mild myalgia, headache, fatigue, cough). I doubt anyone with these symptoms will ever know if it was corona or not since they are unlikely to seek testing or will be denied testing (unless they are a celebrity). I've talked to several people who had these symptoms recently. I had symptoms about 5 weeks ago but was never that sick but had a cough that persisted for weeks.

Coastal Va,

my son and daughter in law and their 2 daughters had similar symptoms especially my daughter in law who had a cough that lasted for weeks. about a month ago. They are both airline pilots so they are both exposed to many people daily. They are all fine now. They are hoping the CDC finishes an antibody test so they can find out if they had it.

Reactions: CoastalVADawg
Do we even know who has had mild cases? If you don't have serious symptoms you aren't getting tested in the US. Unless you're an professional sports athlete, a Senator, or otherwise well connected.

You’re right the testing issues mean most of those aren’t getting tested, but there are regular joes who have had so-called mild cases that have been tested & had positives. It’s why I posed the question here. I was curious if we had any on this board & if so, what the experience was like.

Reactions: East Lake Dawg 61
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT