ADVERTISEMENT

Made a spreadsheet last night on the new rankings ...

MetroDawg21

Pillar of the DawgVent
Sep 18, 2019
that came out recently by the Princeton Review on America's 386 Best Colleges. Happily for the SEC, all but one school made the list. Sadly for Miss St, they did not.

Below is the spreadsheet. Numbers in green indicates it is the best in the conference. Numbers in brown indicate second best (or typically, best besides Vandy). Numbers in red indicate lowest in the league. For out of state student percentage, I put the highest and lowest in red as I think too much of either is bad for the schools overall. And because red is easier to see than green.

I was a little disappointed in our average test scores. I think they are a little lower than I thought and dangerously close to being the same as some schools that we think of as being a tier below. I think UGA has made it a priority to reward kids from not great schools with acceptance A - to have students from not great schools and certain areas of the state represented and B - to emphasize grades over test scores.

We also have a very low percentage of out of state kids compared to many nearby schools. UF is the only close public school with even a comparable out of state percentage (Texas is far away). Everyone else seems to recruit out of state kids aggressively and offer partial 'ships to kids with high test scores and/or GPAs.

I think we should encourage more out of state kids to apply. I have heard from a few people that guidance counselors in other states tell kids not to apply to UGA as they likely won't get in. Would be nice to lower that acceptance rate percentage. Other schools recruit out of state areas heavily (like many nearby schools do in metro Atlanta areas like N Fulton and East Cobb) and highly encourage as many kids as possible to apply. One SEC school even has a recruiting station in Times Square (like the Army and Marines lol). I don't think we should go that far, but we do need to beef up the applications we are receiving IMO. I also think more out of state kids would add a little diversity and improve our academics standing.

Was glad to see us rank second to Vandy in Academics. Quality of Life was also very good and Admissions difficulty was also one of the highest. Was disappointed in some of the test scores on there and am wondering the accuracy.

Other Notes -

- Funny to see Ole Miss last in many categories but second to Vandy in Quality of Life
-Amazing A&M is only 4% out of state. I wonder if that includes international students? UT is also only 5%. Seems Texas schools do not want or need OOS kids.
-Borderline shocked to see UK with 96% acceptance rate. That is hard to do.
-The high GPAs are due to AP courses allowing for inflated GPAs like UF's absurd 4.5. A lot of that has to do with each state's rules regarding AP courses.
-7 schools in the league with over 30% out of state. That is crazy since all but Vandy are public. Alabama with 61% is absurd and reeks of institutional insecurities and an odd obsession with building a national fanbase for their football team (lol).
-SoCar has come a long way. It is now a very solid public school (per these numbers). A decade or two ago, it was an afterthought outside of SC and few kids from metro Atlanta or Athens considered it. Now, they are competing for kids the rest of the surrounding schools want (Clemson, FSU, Aub, Ala, Tenn, etc).

I enjoy looking at these charts as I am interested in how our school and others rate in these areas. Looking forward to USN&WR rankings which will come out in Oct I believe. If there are any other similar rankings, please link in this thread.

117728430_10223629842759961_8272216665455272824_o.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.