ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Richt's testimony...

This morning's news and Richt's peace about where he'd be going is an excellent reminder of his testimony. If today was your day, where would you be spending eternity?

My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting coach Richt shortly after he became Georgia"s new coach and I will say that I thought he had the most inner peace within himself than any person I had ever met.

"If im wrong about God then I wasted my life. If you're wrong about God then you wasted your eternity."

Classic, Pascal's Wager. But if you're doing the calculus to determine your belief, then that doesn't seem very genuine. It also assumes that the choices are between belief and non-belief, when it actually seems more accurate to frame it as non-belief versus many different varieties of belief(Christianity, Judaism et al.).

As someone who isn't religious, I've always opted to treat people with respect and dignity, try to see where they're coming from, etc. I don't do this because if I don't I fear what comes after death. I do it because it's always seemed like the obvious choice. I teach my kids to be respectful and kind, have empathy and enjoy the world (whether that's food, culture, natural wonders, etc.)

What if we just did good things because they're good and not because a guy promised us candy at the end?

I love Coach Richt and I wish he and his family the best, but I'm happy where I am.

You nailed one of the major problems with Christian teaching and evangelism. Too many folks get focused on "streets of gold and mansions in heaven" as the reason they claim to be Christians. It's not what we get when we die, but who has died for us. The love from that realization compels us to follow Christ.

None of us are perfect and CMR would never claim to be but if anyone had a chance to get to know him, he strives to exemplify that love.

You nailed one of the major problems with Christian teaching and evangelism. Too many folks get focused on "streets of gold and mansions in heaven" as the reason they claim to be Christians. It's not what we get when we die, but who has died for us. The love from that realization compels us to follow Christ.

None of us are perfect and CMR would never claim to be but if anyone had a chance to get to know him, he strives to exemplify that love.

I respectfully disagree, accepting Christ is a life changing event, a spiritual birth. I cant think of any friends who think there is a jag, free buffet etc in heaven. There is also a difference in identifying as a christian and trying to follow Christ. I feel for those who haven't accepted God becuase Christian's in general are some of the worst people on earth. When religion gets in the way and you protest a funeral, or persecute a segment of the population..that's misfounded religion. Jesus brought neither religion or a church to his followers, just a message of love, and serving others. Man gets in the way and screws that up many times.

What if we just did good things because they're good and not because a guy promised us candy at the end?

I love Coach Richt and I wish he and his family the best, but I'm happy where I am.
not to preach. But, your happiness is fleeting. None of us are good. We are corrupt and full of sin. it is only through the Grace of God that we are forgiving. Jesus paid our debts and all we have to do is accept his gift and live everyday becoming more like Jesus Christ and then spend eternity with him.
Hope at some point you understand and see the light of Jesus Christ as your savior. I assure you the other option is not what you or anyone wants and is eternal.
Nothing personal just saw your post and wanted to give my .02
go dawgs

I respectfully disagree, accepting Christ is a life changing event, a spiritual birth. I cant think of any friends who think there is a jag, free buffet etc in heaven. There is also a difference in identifying as a christian and trying to follow Christ. I feel for those who haven't accepted God becuase Christian's in general are some of the worst people on earth. When religion gets in the way and you protest a funeral, or persecute a segment of the population..that's misfounded religion. Jesus brought neither religion or a church to his followers, just a message of love, and serving others. Man gets in the way and screws that up many times.

I think we're saying essentially the same thing. The prosperity gospel folks may not teach free buffets but they definitely promise streets of gold and happiness on earth. The hellfire and brimstone teach Christianity is a way of escaping torture. It's not about either. Like you said, it is about love. And if we love, it will show through how we follow Christ and thus, how we serve others.

Mark is a good example of this.

I think we're saying essentially the same thing. The prosperity gospel folks may not teach free buffets but they definitely promise streets of gold and happiness on earth. The hellfire and brimstone teach Christianity is a way of escaping torture. It's not about either. Like you said, it is about love. And if we love, it will show through how we follow Christ and thus, how we serve others.

Mark is a good example of this.
Except, a) few actually follow that path but all say they do; and b) you can be about love without believing in rehashed metaphysics, with the plus of keeping your dignity.

Except, a) few actually follow that path but all say they do; and b) you can be about love without believing in rehashed metaphysics, with the plus of keeping your dignity.

And that's why Jesus said that many will claim to have known him and call him Lord....

As for the metaphysics and dignity, I'd say atheism is much more irrational than Christianity. But that's for another thread on another board. Point was Mark lived his faith quite well. Not perfect. But I'm not the ultimate judge, just my opinion based on the faith that we share.

Well, you could SAY that; it would be ridiculous and you'd be unable to back it up with anything that even attempts to be proof, but, yes, you could say it. Look, Coach Richt seems to be a good guy, something we should all try to emulate. If it takes a fear of eternal hellfire or the promise of 72 virgins to get you there, fine; just keep it out of my government and my schools and you can anoint and speak in tongues to your utter content as far as I care.

Reactions: helafono
What belief system would that be? Observable, provable fact? Scientific theory (and before you misuse that word....just don't; its tired)? Not going to be very a effective government or education system, now is it?

The belief system that there is no God? With that belief system, all men are not created equal. We evolved. If we evolved, then we are not equal. Easy to see how Stalin justified the murder of millions.

And I admit that religion has been the cause of murder as well.

To write off arguments for Christianity as ridiculous is your choice. I could counter with the same. Are you willing to use logic in this decision though?

Both sides should be respected. Jean shorts should not be though. Go Dawgs!

The belief system that there is no God? With that belief system, all men are not created equal. We evolved. If we evolved, then we are not equal. Easy to see how Stalin justified the murder of millions.

And I admit that religion has been the cause of murder as well.

To write off arguments for Christianity as ridiculous is your choice. I could counter with the same. Are you willing to use logic in this decision though?

Both sides should be respected. Jean shorts should not be though. Go Dawgs!
Holy crap! In a lone paragraph you displayed a lack of understanding of equality in the eyes of the Law, evolutionary biology, and history. That's like the ignorance trifecta. Sorry, that's not something I can respect.

Holy crap! In a lone paragraph you displayed a lack of understanding of equality in the eyes of the Law, evolutionary biology, and history. That's like the ignorance trifecta. Sorry, that's not something I can respect.
Have you considered that it may be you who has a lack of understanding?

And this is why this is an impossible discussion: facts do not matter when the response includes nonsense like 'the fossil record disproves evolution' lifted from creationist's pseudo-scientific bullshit. Sources matter, chief, and, BTW, if your historical reference is the friggin' Bible, that's not a good sign either.

ABTW, if your historical reference is the friggin' Bible, that's not a good sign either.
The signs are not so great for your eternity, imo. Science people who disbelieve God are the world's stupidest denizens, also imo. I hope you reconsider.

Mark Richt perhaps was a questionable coach at UGA, but the question he puts forth, "Where would you spend eternity if you died today?" is the most important question of all.

Fact. There is significant evidence of micro-evolution. Evidence for macro-evolution is virtually non-existent. The odds of macro-evolution occurring (odds of genetic mutations) are so out of this world that it's impossible.

Fact: Stalin disavowed the existence of God. He killed millions. When there is no God, right or wrong is purely objective. We can say what Stalin did was wrong. Stalin could claim it is right. Neither one of us is correct. If there is no moral law giver, there is no moral law. It's all up to the "masses".

The Gospels were written by eyewitnesses to the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. There is enough evidence to verify this. You can disagree with their writings and accuracy, but saying they were fabricated is on the fringes. The writings of Paul (Saul) can be attributed to him as well through historical record as well. Why would he turn from a life of worldly prosperity to persecution for his faith. Why would 12 men stick to the same story and not break under persecution and death?

The fault of this discussion falls on your immature responses exemplified by resorting to profanity.

My guess is that you feel you have been so personally wrong by a Christian at some point that you are respond angrily towards rational arguments. If you have been wronged, that's bad. I hope you would consider rational explanations for the validity of Christianity.

The signs are not so great for your eternity, imo. Science people who disbelieve God are the world's stupidest denizens, also imo. I hope you reconsider.

Mark Richt perhaps was a questionable coach at UGA, but the question he puts forth, "Where would you spend eternity if you died today?" is the most important question of all.
First of all, most 'science people' don't 'disbelieve God', they just need more to 'believe God' than the cultural need for fire insurance and a, sorry, childish desire for an all powerful, authoritarian father figure. It makes you feel better. Terrific. Run with that, just don't pretend its based on anything more than superstition.

First of all, most 'science people' don't 'disbelieve God', they just need more to 'believe God' than the cultural need for fire insurance and a, sorry, childish desire for an all powerful, authoritarian father figure. It makes you feel better. Terrific. Run with that, just don't pretend its based on anything more than superstition.
But that's just it, it's based on much more than superstition... but to each his own.
Your posts are filled with your opinions for someone who wants the facts.

Fact. There is significant evidence of micro-evolution. Evidence for macro-evolution is virtually non-existent. The odds of macro-evolution occurring (odds of genetic mutations) are so out of this world that it's impossible.

Fact: Stalin disavowed the existence of God. He killed millions. When there is no God, right or wrong is purely objective. We can say what Stalin did was wrong. Stalin could claim it is right. Neither one of us is correct. If there is no moral law giver, there is no moral law. It's all up to the "masses".

The Gospels were written by eyewitnesses to the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. There is enough evidence to verify this. You can disagree with their writings and accuracy, but saying they were fabricated is on the fringes. The writings of Paul (Saul) can be attributed to him as well through historical record as well. Why would he turn from a life of worldly prosperity to persecution for his faith. Why would 12 men stick to the same story and not break under persecution and death?

The fault of this discussion falls on your immature responses exemplified by resorting to profanity.

My guess is that you feel you have been so personally wrong by a Christian at some point that you are respond angrily towards rational arguments. If you have been wronged, that's bad. I hope you would consider rational explanations for the validity of Christianity.
Amazing. Same pamphlet response every time. Its like a mantra from Vacation Bible School -'we're the ones being logical', 'we're the ones who know history and evolutionary biology, and paleontology, and quantum physics.....though those things are just diversions created by Satan, of course'. Its a cult but you've been raised in it, its your culture and no amount of education, no amount of life experience will shake that brainwashing. No, no Christians 'harmed' me, and no one from any of the other of the world's dominant superstitions did either. I just outgrew it.

ADVERTISEMENT