ADVERTISEMENT

Maureen Dowd

No way it can be a coup. I have been told by some on here it's only a coup when it's violent or the military is involved...

I don't blame the democrats at all for doing what they did. Biden was absolutely going to lose, and he shit the bed in the debate. He was dead politically, and powerless once the most powerful folks in the party spoke. Do you deny he was pushed out? Technically his choice but effectively given no choice?

Reactions: zingerdawg
Whatever.
The only people I know who enjoy Maureen Dowd are a certain set of Boomers who skew "fiscal conservative" and were formerly Rs but now Ds. Same take as Peggy Noonan, different fishwrapper.

I don't blame the democrats at all for doing what they did. Biden was absolutely going to lose, and he shit the bed in the debate. He was dead politically, and powerless once the most powerful folks in the party spoke. Do you deny he was pushed out? Technically his choice but effectively given no choice?
Honestly, I do get that this is all just sour grapes -

Joe famously went to Jim Clyburn when he was in a struggle to win the nomination in 2020 - asked for and received the famed "thumb on the scale." After that - despite no small amount of similar bitching and moaning (including by me and many of us "lefties" on this list) - D electeds fell into line. This is the way party politics works. It giveth and it taketh away.

But you gotta have the party behind you if you want to win.

Joe Biden can look to his campaign team who sandbagged him by effectively cancelling the primaries and then pushing for that early debate and to those who "protected" him so that so of us many were stunned by what we saw. That "team" is what Pelosi was talking about when she said she never thought very much of his "political operation."

I saw Biden’s buddy Chris Coons last night just laugh it off when it was suggested that Biden was forced out. He would only say that it was Biden’s decision only. That might be true, but he sure had some pressure in making the decision. When the big money donors tell you that the money is going away and the top Dem leaders were dead silent on supporting his campaign then it’s a pretty easy decision to make.

Joe famously went to Jim Clyburn when he was in a struggle to win the nomination in 2020 - asked for and received the famed "thumb on the scale." After that - despite no small amount of similar bitching and moaning (including by me and many of us "lefties" on this list) - D electeds fell into line. This is the way party politics works. It giveth and it taketh away.

Joe Biden can look to his campaign team who sandbagged him by effectively cancelling the primaries and then pushing for that early debate and to those who "protected" him so that so of us many were stunned by what we saw. That "team" is what Pelosi was talking about when she said she never thought very much of his "political operation."
The point (and I know you know this) is that politics is dirty, and the Ds are not virtuous. So, quit acting like you are.

Not sour grapes at all. Just glad you can’t hide behind the idiotic democracy defense anymore. That was the dumbest slogan of all time. Trump is going to take away your freedoms. Democracy is on the ballot. Till it wasn’t. Makes me laugh at all of you parroting that shit till you needed to smash it to bits. For a power play. I will mail you a copy of the book when it comes out in a few years. Jill Biden memoirs. Titled “Kamala is a back stabbing ____t!!!!”

Of course he was pushed out, but it wasn’t simply a case of Pelosi and a few other heavy hitters making the call. Donations dried up and it was clear that his support had dwindled to nothing.

I'm still surprised the Dems were able to manage the transition as smoothly as they were. There is a long way to go, but by any measure they greatly improved their chances across the board in November.

Of course he was pushed out, but it wasn’t simply a case of Pelosi and a few other heavy hitters making the call. Donations dried up and it was clear that his support had dwindled to nothing.

I'm still surprised the Dems were able to manage the transition as smoothly as they were. There is a long way to go, but by any measure they greatly improved their chances across the board in November.
Agreed on all. Save this post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT