ADVERTISEMENT

Memories of the 1990 team.....

JJDawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
May 29, 2001
...I listened to almost every game that season as a 15 year old kid on my little clock radio, via WGAC 580 AM out of Augusta. The game in Baton Rouge that year, triple overtime win against Shaq, Chris Jackson, Stanley Roberts and Vernel Singleton. (I think LSU may have been #1 in the nation preseason that year.) Rod Cole hit 3 free throws with almost no time on the clock in one of the OTs to extend the game and the Dawgs ended up winning. Munson called the play by play that entire season and in that game in Baton Rouge he was as classic as he ever was for any football game he called. The Dawgs would beat that team again in Athens later in the season in another classic.

That team wasn't the greatest team in UGA history, by any stretch. They got blown out in every SEC game they lost that year (all on the road), lost in their first game of the SEC tournament to a mediocre at best Vanderbilt team, and then had Texas hang 100 on them in the first round NCAA exit. (Travis Mays 44 pts, over half of them on FTs.) But it was a really fun team. One that I'll remember always. Mainly the late great Alec Kessler and Litteral Green, but also a bunch of great role players. Just a fun team to follow that season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.