ADVERTISEMENT

Meridian Moderna Covid Study

avoid it like the plague ....seriously shocked people cant figure this out on their own. Also, Dash said to keep discussions here on football now that its here so this belongs in the chat.

Reactions: cmeadows12
TIFWIW

Moderna has yet to produce a single viable product this is the first. No overly concerning. We all start somewhere.

This "vaccine" is not like others. Vaccines inject either viral particles to ellicit an immune responce or live virus that have been altered so as not to be pathologic and produce an immune response.

Moderna is injecting mRNA which will bind to your DNA and make the virus in your cells. This may be a great new way to make vaccines, but this is a first. I'm going to wait and see how this works. I'm not overtly excited about having mRNA hijack my cellular mechanics.

TIFWIW

Moderna has yet to produce a single viable product this is the first. No overly concerning. We all start somewhere.

This "vaccine" is not like others. Vaccines inject either viral particles to ellicit an immune responce or live virus that have been altered so as not to be pathologic and produce an immune response.

Moderna is injecting mRNA which will bind to your DNA and make the virus in your cells. This may be a great new way to make vaccines, but this is a first. I'm going to wait and see how this works. I'm not overtly excited about having mRNA hijack my cellular mechanics.

This is my concern with it. I'm certainly not anti-vaccine but I'm in a wait and see patter with this particular one.

This is my concern with it. I'm certainly not anti-vaccine but I'm in a wait and see patter with this particular one.
This isn’t about pro/anti vaccine. This is a new mechanism that binds to the persons DNA. Granted that’s how viruses do it, but I’m not enthusiastic about synthetic mRNA binding to my DNA. Forget conspiracy theories the possibilities of problems are endless. I’m not comfortable with gain of function research in viruses, which is how we got covid in the first place. This is too far for me

Reactions: celticdawg
I got contacted today and picked for this vaccine trial. Anyone done this? Any reason to avoid? What to expect?
Hey I have been in this trial since March. DM me if you want to discuss -- highly recommend doing it.

BTW -- there are a number of people on the Vent who are against vaccines for whatever reason. You will get to know them well....

This isn’t about pro/anti vaccine. This is a new mechanism that binds to the persons DNA. Granted that’s how viruses do it, but I’m not enthusiastic about synthetic mRNA binding to my DNA. Forget conspiracy theories the possibilities of problems are endless. I’m not comfortable with gain of function research in viruses, which is how we got covid in the first place. This is too far for me

I know it's just a movie but still... This isn't one of those things where "Oops, my bad" is going to quite cover it. People don't know what they don't know. I'm not an anti-vaxxer but this one is too new too fast for me.

220px-I_am_legend_teaser.jpg

Reactions: wstugamd
Hey I have been in this trial since March. DM me if you want to discuss -- highly recommend doing it.

BTW -- there are a number of people on the Vent who are against vaccines for whatever reason. You will get to know them well....

I think my concern about this one is that it's a totally new process and it's been on a warp speed track. I'm sure it will be safe but knowing what happened when they rushed the HPV vaccine I just have some concerns about the timeline. I am certainly not anti-vaxxer.

I think my concern about this one is that it's a totally new process and it's been on a warp speed track. I'm sure it will be safe but knowing what happened when they rushed the HPV vaccine I just have some concerns about the timeline. I am certainly not anti-vaxxer.
Just to be clear, you’re not the type I was referring to. You seem to be much more informed than the people I was referring to.
Both concerns you mentioned are valid. I reached out to a scientist I know before signing up, and asked him about the process being used to develop the vaccine. He wasn’t aware they were using that particular method, but he 100% verified it. He knew all about it and explained it in detail. Though the practice had not been used on this particular virus before, it has been tested thoroughly for over a decade on other viruses. It wasn’t brand new to science. With that, I’m sure there are risks, but I continue to feel completely confident in the MRNA vaccine.

Reactions: accountingdawg2012
I know it's just a movie but still... This isn't one of those things where "Oops, my bad" is going to quite cover it. People don't know what they don't know. I'm not an anti-vaxxer but this one is too new too fast for me.

220px-I_am_legend_teaser.jpg
OP, this guy is one of 2 venters I have on my ignore list. He’s a regular on the vaccine threads.

OP, this guy is one of 2 venters I have on my ignore list. He’s a regular on the vaccine threads.

I had no idea he was that touchy LOL but he's young and invested in this up to his eyeballs as a solution so that's what you get when you make a joke. AZ's solution just got put on hold to review a participant that developed serious neurological symptoms. Maybe it's the drug, maybe it isn't but now they have to investigate.

My concern with whole show has been that they trying to short cut a solution to market in a process that normally takes multiple years to evaluate. You can do a lot of things to shorten delivery like creating the vaccine doses in volume in parallel but you cannot evaluate longer term effects without time. You have media panic and politicians mixed up with science, which is not infallible, to cure a virus that is ultimately non existential. If I thought I needed it to save my life, then maybe the calculus changes but I don't panic easily and the numbers tell no rush.

You'll probably be fine doing the trial should you do it. I only speak for myself in that the percentage of clinical drug trials that fail under normal circumstance is extremely high and that is without the extreme pressure that these trials are under. I trust that these companies are truly using all the guardrails that are in place to determine the safety and effectiveness of these solutions but they can't simulate long term impacts and decisions made under compressed time pressures are inherently more error prone.

Last edited:
^Bold & underlined = made up. This is routine for this guy.

Maybe you should stick to the weather.

You don't know me to call me a liar. I'm happy to back up any other things I make up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/10/health/covid-astrazeneca-vaccine-trans.html

Scientists on Wednesday praised the decision by AstraZeneca to suspend its late-stage coronavirus vaccine trials and begin a safety review after learning that a participant had developed a serious neurological condition. Dr. Francis Collins, the director of the National Institutes of Health, testifying at a Senate hearing on Wednesday, said the step “ought to be reassuring.”

Just to be clear, you’re not the type I was referring to. You seem to be much more informed than the people I was referring to.
Both concerns you mentioned are valid. I reached out to a scientist I know before signing up, and asked him about the process being used to develop the vaccine. He wasn’t aware they were using that particular method, but he 100% verified it. He knew all about it and explained it in detail. Though the practice had not been used on this particular virus before, it has been tested thoroughly for over a decade on other viruses. It wasn’t brand new to science. With that, I’m sure there are risks, but I continue to feel completely confident in the MRNA vaccine.
Blocker

My research has shown no current RNA vaccines appoved in humans. This would be the first. This seems to be completely new. Do you have links to other RNA vaccines in use?

Blocker

My research has shown no current RNA vaccines appoved in humans. This would be the first. This seems to be completely new. Do you have links to other RNA vaccines in use?
You're correct, it would be the first of its kind.

My point is this method has been tested for years; they did not just develop it solely to combat covid

Maybe you should stick to the weather.

You don't know me to call me a liar. I'm happy to back up any other things I make up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/10/health/covid-astrazeneca-vaccine-trans.html

Scientists on Wednesday praised the decision by AstraZeneca to suspend its late-stage coronavirus vaccine trials and begin a safety review after learning that a participant had developed a serious neurological condition. Dr. Francis Collins, the director of the National Institutes of Health, testifying at a Senate hearing on Wednesday, said the step “ought to be reassuring.”
You are correct, I deleted that comment within minutes of sending it out and verifying it for myself. I spoke too quickly, and deleted it because I was wrong. You ought to do the same for once, and quit feeling the need to comment on every vaccine post I make about how stupid we are for trying to end this as quickly as possible.

You're correct, it would be the first of its kind.

My point is this method has been tested for years; they did not just develop it solely to combat covid
Using it in Petri dishes is one thing. As I said before I think we are playing with fire manipulating DNA in bacteria and viruses, but it’s application in humans the stuff of sci fi conspiracies.

Using it in Petri dishes is one thing. As I said before I think we are playing with fire manipulating DNA in bacteria and viruses, but it’s application in humans the stuff of sci fi conspiracies.
It’s a valid concern, but the testing procedures went far beyond petri dishes.

You are correct, I deleted that comment within minutes of sending it out and verifying it for myself. I spoke too quickly, and deleted it because I was wrong. You ought to do the same for once, and quit feeling the need to comment on every vaccine post I make about how stupid we are for trying to end this as quickly as possible.

My posts aren’t directed at you specifically. Was never my attention to attack you if you’re taking it personally.. I apologize if you think that but honestly that’s a you thing. If I wanted to attack you, you’d know it and I would probably be off to Chile. It’s a topic on the board so it’s fair game for alternate opinions.

You’d have to find me a quote where I specifically said it was out and out stupid to try to get a vaccine for the virus as quickly as possible. Admittedly putting the Will Smith gif up is a joke on my part, i don’t think we’re going to turn into zombies so it was only in jest. We should get to a safe and effective vaccine as soon as feasible.

What I will say without apology is that it is better to fully vet these vaccines, even if it takes a year or more than to put something half assed out quickly that they cannot fully articulate any potential side effects that might occur downstream after a year.. I don’t care at all for having politics and public pressure mixed in with science. You’re a young guy and haven’t developed the well earned cynicism I’ve built up with a set of 82nd Abn Wings plus 30+ years of IT Consulting in just about every Fed Govt Agency and Fortune 150 Company you could name. They fail more than they succeed at initiatives. That’s why I have a job.

I seriously hope the Moderna vaccine works out and we get a shot before Christmas for those that want to go first.

Last edited:
It’s a valid concern, but the testing procedures went far beyond petri dishes.
That's fair.

This isn't directed at you Blocker(I respect you for undergoing the trial as we need to people to test it), but I'm a little more risk adverse. I'm many years removed genetics, biochem, and molecular biology, and I'm not sure what if any genetic manipulation can be achieved with this technology but it possible. I'm also unsure why this is advantageous over injecting denatured virus

Reactions: Blocker57
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT